Sheffield/ Rotherham Canal

tilly05

Reaction score
Ok so we know we cn't get on rivers :( so I'm going to have my first go on a canal...
How much of it is open to fish? The angling times has two stretchs listed in the "canal and waterways" section but this says £20 a year for membership?
I thought the canal was free/day ticket?
I work on shepcote lane so was hoping to get a couple hours in after work friday afternoon..
Any advice on where to go? Back of centertainment, up near meadowhall (american golf) further round towards Rotherham??

Canal & River Trust

The stretch between *2 & 3* is the part thats listed in the paper..

forget that link, its not going to the map i was looking at

Last edited:

dangermouse

Reaction score
That`s the South Yorks Navigational, in case it`s proper name helps in your research. I know it well although I fish the Mexborough stretch. It`s somewhat atypical from a lot of canals because it`s generally deeper, and a lot deeper in some sections than the majority of canals people fish. My regular peg is 9-10ft deep in the margins with a deeper boat channel.

The stretch behind the golf shop was club owned some years ago, Tinsley DAA iirc, but that was in the mid 90`s so that may well have changed.

I did some work last year at the B&Q just round the back of Centretainment and the stretch of canal near the bridge looked very tempting, a few lillies and reeds that are pretty much none existent on the stretch I fish. Can`t help you with who has the rights though.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That`s the South Yorks Navigational, in case it`s proper name helps in your research. I know it well although I fish the Mexborough stretch. It`s somewhat atypical from a lot of canals because it`s generally deeper, and a lot deeper in some sections than the majority of canals people fish. My regular peg is 9-10ft deep in the margins with a deeper boat channel.

The stretch behind the golf shop was club owned some years ago, Tinsley DAA iirc, but that was in the mid 90`s so that may well have changed.

I did some work last year at the B&Q just round the back of Centretainment and the stretch of canal near the bridge looked very tempting, a few lillies and reeds that are pretty much none existent on the stretch I fish. Can`t help you with who has the rights though.

You must show him the barge video mouse...it was awesome mate!

dangermouse

Reaction score
You must show him the barge video mouse...it was awesome mate!

I think it was this one

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHul05Z74oY]Humber Princess at Barnby Dunn & Sprotbrough - YouTube[/ame]

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

I`ve actually found a video of my peg. What`s even more bizarre is that my mate who I fish with told me he`d seen this very scene. The scrapyard on the far bank has now gone and been replaced with a Lidl. Not the prettiest place to fish but there`s plenty of sport to be had if you`re happy catching smaller fish.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=det1uKlQNbI]Mexborough canal - Trolley and Bench - YouTube[/ame]

This tunnel is just a few yards away from our pegs, it`s our "ahem" restroom. A popular place for the younger crowd to engage in a little drinking and other illegal entertainments of an evening. Funnily enough though when I`ve fished there in the evenings I`ve never had any trouble, just the usual "caught owt mate?".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTQuDMPGd74]Mexborough Old Tunnel - YouTube[/ame]

tilly05

Reaction score
Cheers guys, centertainment is 30secs from work so might judt drop on there and see what happens... If i get my collar felt i can only plead ignorance and ask where i am aloud to fish!!

I had high hopes in the first 5 seconds of that vid.... Would of been loads better if : a, had created a massive wave and shook the barge alover... B, just ploughed straight into the moored boat! Lol. Twisted sense of humour, i laugh at people falling over.
I cnt wait to get hooked into the humber princess should be a goid fight, might need somethig better than 2lb line!!

dangermouse

Reaction score
I cnt wait to get hooked into the humber princess should be a goid fight, might need somethig better than 2lb line!!

You`ll have to come further up the canal if you want to catch that beasty, or it`s two sister ships. It unloads somewhere in Rotherham, Beatson Clark iirc. A guy I occasionally fish with works there and helps to unload it. When they send it back it has to have ballast put on it so that it fits under the bridges!

flightliner

Reaction score
You could try Bacon lane bridge near Sheffield town centre. Go down the side on the right bank and walk about fifty yards, then look for a small pipe below the surface, its passing clean warm water into the canal and you will see, if youre lucky the tail end of a carp sticking out of it. This means you have the spot.Its not bad carp fishing there at night but when the music from the nearby gay club stops around midnight a strange eirie feeling comes over you,if you suddenly hear the sound of dualing banjos -- diddle --ing---ding-- ding it may not be your night and its not called Bacon lane bridge without good reason I suppose, but then carp angling is one of extremes.
Of course, its much differant by day, silverfish abound here too ,much like the local muggers who see guys sat there with fishing tackle as easy, other things to watch out for are idiots on pushbikes who will not slow down and the odd druggie who will tap you for a few bob given half the chance.
All that tho is far outwieghed by the surroundings, loud industrial noises, air pollution and the "Brothers" working in a nearby motor repair shop with their ghetto blasters. What more could an angler want--- culture?. Well, youre sitting in the very spot where the scene of the guys standing on the roof of a car in the film "Full Monty" was made so its likely that you could be disturbed by the odd film crew too--- oh, and use strong line as you could just hook up with the girder they were nicking cos a mate of mine as a scrap yard close by so it could be the swim that pays to be fished, he wont help with the lifting but the hernia should be worth all the trouble.
I shouldnt think anyone will take day ticket money from you but others may well try.
Do let me know how you get on if you decide to fish there.
Enjoy.

PS . pity the rivers are closed as only a hundred yards away is the river don with some of south yorkshires best grayling fishing.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
I had a couple of big catches at the Swinton Canal near the boat yard. One of them I fished out must have been 280lb.

flightliner

Reaction score
I had a couple of big catches at the Swinton Canal near the boat yard. One of them I fished out must have been 280lb.

I had similar from the famous worsboro res when I was fourteen. One spot was doing pike week in week out then one day a guy snags up and is pulling for a break when up pops a pair of well chewed feet. Next thing along comes two bobbies and firemen carrying a grappling hook and a coffin.
Never seen that on the canal tho-- Trent yes-- very sad occurances.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I had similar from the famous worsboro res when I was fourteen. One spot was doing pike week in week out then one day a guy snags up and is pulling for a break when up pops a pair of well chewed feet. Next thing along comes two bobbies and firemen carrying a grappling hook and a coffin.

Would the pike spot happen to be alongside the old stone boathouse flight ? Back in the day it used to be a banker area for pike, for me anyway, and big perch too. I once saw an old guy catch a four pound stripey there on a live bait whilst fishing for pike. Sadly he killed it, I was gutted :(

nicepix

Reaction score
Would the pike spot happen to be alongside the old stone boathouse flight ? Back in the day it used to be a banker area for pike, for me anyway, and big perch too. I once saw an old guy catch a four pound stripey there on a live bait whilst fishing for pike. Sadly he killed it, I was gutted :(

I used to fish that spot. :) Trouble is, it would have taken four pike to match the weight of that one perch. :D

dangermouse

Reaction score

I had a night eel fishing on that stretch last year. Didn`t catch any eels, just a fairly chunky roach/bream hybrid.

flightliner

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
Would the pike spot happen to be alongside the old stone boathouse flight ? Back in the day it used to be a banker area for pike, for me anyway, and big perch too. I once saw an old guy catch a four pound stripey there on a live bait whilst fishing for pike. Sadly he killed it, I was gutted

|

Hi Derek, the place was on the main road bank facing your spot, I used to catch a Barnsley bus every saterday morning with a friend, the fishing was always pretty good in the wintertime and that year it was no differant but the eception was the one tiny bit of that bank.
Many pike anglers vied for it as it was doing fish more often than areas near to it.
As said , that day a guy heaving for a break was suddenly faced with two bare feet.
The story was in the sunday paper the day after and it transpired that the body was a woman who had commited suicide by taking off her nylon stockings and tied them around her neck and shopping bag that she had filled with stones from the bank edge then waded out before letting the bag drop from her grasp.
I saw the recovery and the corpse had been well chewed-- pike or otherwise was a hard guess but them pike had been showing well and I for one put it down to them in the main.
One thing I always remember was it was wednesday afterwards before I had a bite to eat.--- Awful thing to witness.