The Barbel master tames Thorpe lea carp

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
To helpCakeys Norwich & District Diabetic CharityAuction I offered a days Carp Fishing Coaching at Thorpe Lea fishery in Egham Surrey. The winner with a very generous bid was the barbel master Graham Elliot. Graham has caught many very large carp during his time usually when targeting barbel, but was keen to have a days carping and his very generous bid was gratefully received. After a few e-mails and a coupel of phone calls a date was set and plans were made. The day quickly arrived and I met Graham for the first time in the car park.

We swapped jokesas I loaded the barrowand as we we headed to our swim I knew I was going to really enjoy my bank time with Graham. For the days event I had reserved a nice open swim called the beech which gave us good coverage of the only gravel plateu on the lake and hopefully a carp or two.

The day was bright, warm and sunny with just a gentle breeze putting a little ripple on the water. As westood looking across the lake discussing the days events the carpput on a spectacular show, as theycrashed out of the waterin a display more like dolphins than carp. Graham was eager to get fishing but the coaching ment it was midday before Graham eventually had his rods out.The Barbel naster in action
IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

The day started well for Graham after a morning of general carp fishing coaching the baited rigs were finally cast out at midday. Graham hardly had time to sit down when the first rod ripped off.
IMG_2364.jpg

Graham spodded more bait out to the hungry Thorpe lea carp within moment not one but two rods ripped off with this fine pair of double figure carp.
IMG_2366.jpg

Graham was now on a role another fine Thorpe lea carp this time a scrappy 13lb 6oz fish
IMG_2376.jpg

Two fish on the bank and one lost the pair were the biggest fish of the day the largest going 16lb 11oz
IMG_2379.jpg

The last fish of the session. In total eight fine double figure carp were banked. We lost several fish but this did not stop us having a great days angling. Well done Graham great fishing it is a pleasure to share bank time with such a very accomplished angler. Tight Lines