Goldings Hill (Epping Forest)

fishing_jamie

Reaction score
Anyone fished here before? Its quite close to me and i just wondered if anyone has been and what it is like.

tonybull

Reaction score
imo alot of those forest ponds are now a waste of time.

I fished them all along time of go when places like, Wake Valley, Robin Hood etc all used to have a healthy stock of Tench, Crucians, Perch and Wild Carp.

But doubt they hold that many fish now, but only my opinion.

If you want some bites and a days fishing (catch some fish) go to a private day ticket fishery.

Alot of the natural waters around the area you live are finished imo

tonybull

Reaction score
The Forestry who run them must of carried out some stocking, just hope the fish don't start to go missing.

Give it ago looks worth it from that post :D

fishing_jamie

Reaction score
I used to live in Chigwell with my mum so would have been a treck, But last month i moved in with my girlfriend to Loughton so really its only walking distance!

Where abouts do you live then matey? Guessing your in this area also

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Roding from Debden is free still produces good fishing if you know what your doing . Go light and rove best bait lobs. I am not sure about the forest ponds you cannot fish Eagle pond any more by snaresbrook court and I think they have a close season on the ones you can still fish these days.

tonybull

Reaction score
I used to live in Chigwell with my mum so would have been a treck, But last month i moved in with my girlfriend to Loughton so really its only walking distance!

Where abouts do you live then matey? Guessing your in this area also

I'm in the Waltham Abbey area mate

Mart Smith

Reaction score
The Roding from Debden is free still produces good fishing if you know what your doing . Go light and rove best bait lobs. I am not sure about the forest ponds you cannot fish Eagle pond any more by snaresbrook court and I think they have a close season on the ones you can still fish these days.

I work on the industrial estate opposite the river at debden, and have spent many a lunchtime walking the banks with my polaroids on - and apart from the minnows, i've seen nought! mind you, the last few months you cant get close with the amount of water pushing through!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I work on the industrial estate opposite the river at debden, and have spent many a lunchtime walking the banks with my polaroids on - and apart from the minnows, i've seen nought! mind you, the last few months you cant get close with the amount of water pushing through!

That is when to fish it when its up find the slacks and back eddies and you will find the fish . I have fished the Roding for over fifty years and can count the amount of fish I have spoted on two hands. The fish will see you long before you see them. Early and late are the best unless you know where the deep holes are. When it warms up walk the river in the river check out the undercuts with a stick and wear a life jacket you will be surprisd at what you find good luck.

Last edited:

Mart Smith

Reaction score
That is when to fish it when its up find the slacks and back eddies and you will fid the fish . I have fished the Rodin fo over fifty years and can count the amount of fish I have spoted on two hands. The fish will see you long before you see them. Early and late are the best unless you know where the deep holes are. When it warms up walk the river in the river check out the undercuts with a stick and wear a life jacket you will be surprisd at what you find good luck.

Will do - thanks Tiinker

fishing_jamie

Reaction score
I'm going to give it a go over the next couple months :)

---------- Post added at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

I'm tempted to maybe go fishing next weekend over the bank holiday weekend at Goldings Hill, Any idea if this will be allowed now the season is over or is that just for rivers? Dont quite understand :)

balalur

Reaction score
Jamie, there is no fishing on all Epping Forest lakes during the close season!
Unfortunately your only option is to fish one of the commercial lakes around you or travel far away to some canals...