Heroes....

maverick 7

Reaction score
All through my angling life I have had a great admiration for the angling skills possessed by Ivan Marks...I am not a matchman and never have been but he was a real hero for a lot of people including me.

I always viewed that guy as The Peoples Champion....I never had the good fortune to meet the bloke but I am told he was very down to earth and would give advice to anybody who asked.....which didn't surprise me at all....A true credit to his sport.

On the other hand......when I was young, I read about the capture of the massive 44lb carp by **** Walker....I read about the line sliding slowly through the hairs on the back of his hand after the take.....I never thought a fishing story could grip me quite like this one did. From that moment on I was also a big fan of **** Walkers ...even though I didn't much care for his discipline of the sport.........he too was a true credit to his sport.

So......that got me thinking about who was the best between them despite the different branches of the sport they excelled in....

These two would be my first and second choices of the best anglers that ever lived......Ivan would take first prize by a short neck.

....but who do you think was the BEST angler that ever lived

Who is/was the best angler of ALL TIME?

......voted for by the Members of the Fishing Magic Forum.

Maverick

C

chefster

Alan Scotthorne-5 times world champion,a true technician and a true ambassador for the sport and role model for all age groups:)

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not into voting, but I do admire a lot of anglers like Jack Hargreaves, Bernard Venables, Paul Young, Benny and Kevin Ashurst, Hugh Falkus, Arthur Oglesby, Bob Nudd and Robson Greene - oops, sorry, he's a tw*t! :eek:mg:

maverick 7

Reaction score
Alan Scotthorne-5 times world champion,a true technician and a true ambassador for the sport and role model for all age groups:)

Good choice Chefster...

I have to agree with you about the ambassador bit......

Maverick

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

Not into voting, but I do admire a lot of anglers like Jack Hargreaves, Bernard Venables, Paul Young, Benny and Kevin Ashurst, Hugh Falkus, Arthur Oglesby, Bob Nudd and Robson Greene - oops, sorry, he's a tw*t! :eek:mg:

Hi Jack......so which one do you think is THE best then?...I will try to keep tabs on all the votes until the end (if enough contribute that is) and then count them up.

Maverick

Judas Priest

Reaction score
I had the great fortune to meet Ivan Marks on quite a few occasions both socially and in matches and can honestly say that he was a real gent and possibly the best angler of his generation and since. I was going to say that I fished against him in some matches in my younger days, but the truth is that when Ivan turned up you were fishing for second place.

Chris Yates is another I have admiration for, both for his writings and also his angling ethos. Been to quite a few talks given by Chris and he always has the audience, whether fishing related or not, listening intently to his every word.

Besides those two no modern angler warrants anything special no matter what they tell you.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had the great fortune to meet Ivan Marks on quite a few occasions both socially and in matches and can honestly say that he was a real gent and possibly the best angler of his generation and since. I was going to say that I fished against him in some matches in my younger days, but the truth is that when Ivan turned up you were fishing for second place.

Chris Yates is another I have admiration for, both for his writings and also his angling ethos. Been to quite a few talks given by Chris and he always has the audience, whether fishing related or not, listening intently to his every word.

Besides those two no modern angler warrants anything special no matter what they tell you.

I never had the fortune to meet Ivan, he was my childhood hero! I have met Chris Yates a couple of times, one of the most charming people that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, I feel the same about him as you do mate.
I don't think Chris really knows how many folk he has inspired to take up Angling!

jack sprat

Reaction score
For someone to be your 'hero' they don't have to be greatest but it's more about holding them in high esteem. I've met, watched and fished against Ivan Marks, and as a 15 year old at school he was my sporting hero - he never did anything since to change that view. His big-match record is one of the best but then Alan Scotthorne's record is also incredible - apart from 5 world titles he has a load more big titles; I watched him win the European Supercup on Holme Pierpoint back in 1990 I think and it was some performance against a 200-strong field of the best in Europe.

Other heroes aren't always such good anglers as many would have you believe; Jack Hargreaves relied more on decent anglers as guests to catch the fish but a great broadcaster all the same, and Chris Yates, who is a smashing bloke, doesn't have a fraction of the skills of many truly skilled anglers but I'm sure he'll be remembered long after the technicians have gone to fish the Styx.

maverick 7

Reaction score

Hi guys.....very nice posts of a great man....

...Ok Judas and Mark..........are we saying Ivan Marks then as your choice for the greatest angler of all time?

Maverick

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

For someone to be your 'hero' they don't have to be greatest but it's more about holding them in high esteem. I've met, watched and fished against Ivan Marks, and as a 15 year old at school he was my sporting hero - he never did anything since to change that view. His big-match record is one of the best but then Alan Scotthorne's record is also incredible - apart from 5 world titles he has a load more big titles; I watched him win the European Supercup on Holme Pierpoint back in 1990 I think and it was some performance against a 200-strong field of the best in Europe.

Other heroes aren't always such good anglers as many would have you believe; Jack Hargreaves relied more on decent anglers as guests to catch the fish but a great broadcaster all the same, and Chris Yates, who is a smashing bloke, doesn't have a fraction of the skills of many truly skilled anglers but I'm sure he'll be remembered long after the technicians have gone to fish the Styx.

You're right of course Jack.....to be a hero you don't have to be the best...but it is a good start.....

...sounds to me Jack it's between Scotthorne and Marks....a dead heat maybe?

Maverick

cg74

Reaction score
Oh it's not the thread I'd hoped it might be, what the hell, my vote goes to Catwoman, mmmmmm, very nice:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePgLOVNMSTo]"Catwoman" (2004) Theatrical Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

terry m

Reaction score
For me it is the late great Terry Lampard.

I can think of no angler who was as versatile whilst being a damned nice guy, always happy to stop for a chat.

MRWELL

Reaction score
I never had the good fortune to meet any of the said Anglers and only know what i have been told or seen on videos,that put's me at a disadvantage to many who have seen or fished with /against these great guys.
I guess the question being asked could be looked at in many ways be it like Maverick says Match or big fish Anglers but what about the people who write about fishing many of who never realy pick up a rod but they can put you right there,you feel the mood in their writeings and to me that in it's self is a art form and one that to many i would guess can be seen as unsong heroes.
To the young blood of today i would hazard a guess that guys like Matt Hayes would be looked on as their hero,he has put a lot of people in touch with fishing through his TV work and videos although i know he is not in the same mould as some of the guys already mentioned on this thread and many would not even pick him in their top ten let alone two but i guess he would warent a vote.
To me my all time favourite would be Ivan Marks,like i said i never met the guy but he was a genious that could make the fish sing if he wanted and i don't think i have ever seen anything bad writen about him,he might not have won the world title 5 times but he was the peoples champ and ask anyone who Ivan Marks was and the chances are they would know and that says it all in my book.

barbelboi

Reaction score
There are a few that I believe are/were very good anglers and/or writers – the best? A hard one to call but the most influential to me as child growing up and fishing during the 50’s had to be **** Walker, his capture of Ravioli and weekly AT column.
Jerry

maverick 7

Reaction score
For me it is the late great Terry Lampard.

I can think of no angler who was as versatile whilst being a damned nice guy, always happy to stop for a chat.

OK Terry M.....Terry Lampard it is.

Maverick

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

I never had the good fortune to meet any of the said Anglers and only know what i have been told or seen on videos,that put's me at a disadvantage to many who have seen or fished with /against these great guys.
I guess the question being asked could be looked at in many ways be it like Maverick says Match or big fish Anglers but what about the people who write about fishing many of who never realy pick up a rod but they can put you right there,you feel the mood in their writeings and to me that in it's self is a art form and one that to many i would guess can be seen as unsong heroes.
To the young blood of today i would hazard a guess that guys like Matt Hayes would be looked on as their hero,he has put a lot of people in touch with fishing through his TV work and videos although i know he is not in the same mould as some of the guys already mentioned on this thread and many would not even pick him in their top ten let alone two but i guess he would warent a vote.
To me my all time favourite would be Ivan Marks,like i said i never met the guy but he was a genious that could make the fish sing if he wanted and i don't think i have ever seen anything bad writen about him,he might not have won the world title 5 times but he was the peoples champ and ask anyone who Ivan Marks was and the chances are they would know and that says it all in my book.

Right...MrWell......Ivan Marks for you...I must say, this is looking like a one horse race to me....

Maverick

---------- Post added at 00:15 ---------- Previous post was at 00:13 ----------

There are a few that I believe are/were very good anglers and/or writers – the best? A hard one to call but the most influential to me as child growing up and fishing during the 50’s had to be **** Walker, his capture of Ravioli and weekly AT column.
Jerry

Barbelboi.....man after my own heart...one of my faves too...

.....it's **** Walker for you.

Maverick

chav professor

Reaction score
Heroes are transient.... I was heavily influenced by John Wilson in my formative years.... Later a bit of Matt Hayes... Chris Yates... Peter Stone... **** walker... Bob Buteux...

Don't know if I have heroes anymore... I am fortunate that I fish with some very gifted friends and anglers that I admire and respect.

jack sprat

Reaction score
From the big-fish world then definitely Terry Lampard. A true gent and great angler who was head and shoulders above the chasing pack. I met him a few times and watched him fish, not remotely in the Marks' class when it came to float fishing but had an incredible knack with catching the big ones. The same is true of Terry Hearn in the carp world.

maverick 7

Reaction score
Heroes are transient.... I was heavily influenced by John Wilson in my formative years.... Later a bit of Matt Hayes... Chris Yates... Peter Stone... **** walker... Bob Buteux...

Don't know if I have heroes anymore... I am fortunate that I fish with some very gifted friends and anglers that I admire and respect.

Do we not have just ONE name above all others then Chav?...I mean, if you HAD to pick one...who would it be?

Maverick

chav professor

Reaction score
Do we not have just ONE name above all others then Chav?...I mean, if you HAD to pick one...who would it be?

Maverick

The person who influenced my formative fishing years? Mr Crabtree..... as he is a fictional character - I better say Bernard Venables. Oh how I wanted to catch a carp on a par boiled potato. The copy I was given was old when i first read it.... It was read to disintegration by the time I finished with it - i was born in 1971 so it was pretty much out of date then! But it was inspirational.

B

binka

I couldn't let this one slip by without a mention of the late, great "Big Frank" Barlow and John Dean, without a doubt my stick float heros back in an era when the stick ruled the Trent :)

Ivan Marks... what a lovely fella and a great icon :cool:

flightliner

Reaction score
Local Sheffield angler when I was younger-- Don Keen.
Finest float man you ever saw, match him against anyone-- no exceptions, and I,ve sat next to most of the guys mentioned here.
Hero worshipped the guy back then and always tried to be as good as he was-- still trying!!!.