Flo cast

aebitim

Reaction score
Anybody used it, says on the spool its temperature sensitive, any recomendations for an 8 or 10lbs line for floatfishing rivers welcomed.

flightliner

Reaction score
Aebitim, any of the lines by Ultima, mainline and hooklengths. Had many many Barbel using it with float gear (and an old mitchell 300 with a static bail arm roller) and never had any problems.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Anybody used it, says on the spool its temperature sensitive, any recomendations for an 8 or 10lbs line for floatfishing rivers welcomed.

Yes, I use it in 10lb when trotting for barbel and 4/6lb for smaller species.
The temperature sensitivity thing is probably a reference the the way it is reported to fray into seperate strands in really cold conditions. I've not experienced that for myself, probably because I don't often fish in baltic conditions. Rod rings freezing up is generally my cue to stay at home.
Just be aware that Flo-cast was discontinued a while back.

aebitim

Reaction score
Thanks chaps, picked up 3 spools for a fiver out of a bargain bin, was wondering what it was like. Have used ultima line sea fishing with no problems.

redfin123

Reaction score
:
Had many many Barbel using it with float gear (and an old mitchell 300 with a static bail arm roller) and never had any problems.
good god flight are you still using them clapped out mitchells, they,ll let you down one day. Bin them and get some proper reels like shimano,s :eek:mg::eek::eek:

flightliner

Reaction score
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
Had many many Barbel using it with float gear (and an old mitchell 300 with a static bail arm roller) and never had any problems.
good god flight are you still using them clapped out mitchells, they,ll let you down one day. Bin them and get some proper reels like shimano,s

No mate. I was using a perfectly good bail arm roller with a mitchell wrapped round it.!
Shimano's--- what for-- got plenty of shims in my old reel.

David Dalton

Reaction score
I tried Ultima Flo Cast a couple of seasons back, and was not massively impressed by it. Due to to the fact that it's hollow, it has a very high diameter for its breaking strain. I found that it would sometimes split as well, and that was when it was being used in summer when the water temp was high.
It certainly floats well, but then so does a line like Drennan Float fish, which is cheaper.

maverick 7

Reaction score
Hi Aebitim......you should try Daiwa Sensor line.....it is superb stuff.

It is produced in 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 15lb strengths......last time I purchased any was about 5 years ago and it was £7.99 per bulk spool....and I am still using it.

The 8lb will carry approximately 1000 mtrs on the bulk spool so you can see it is pretty good value for money.....more importantly though, it is damn good line with hardly any memory at all.

Maverick

aebitim

Reaction score
I am using supplex at the moment as the floatfish only goes to 6 lb, have got on ok with it but the coating wears out after a few sessions.
Diawa sensor is ok have used it a fare bit over the years but it sinks rapidly in broken water so not the best for far bank float fishing.
Tim

mick b

Reaction score
Yes for the past four years........every time I go fishing!

Firstly I only trot the rivers September to March, and I only use a centrepin.
I spool up with 125m from the 250m 5lb BS spools and cut off 5m or so after every trip.

Yes it splits, but what the hell, its only the 'working length' which should be discarded anyway IMO.

It floats brilliantly, doesn't 'dig-in', retains its strength whether its separated or solid, and never splits more than a few inches however hard the days fishing!

I buy all mine online, unless I see it in the local shops, wherever its from the quality is always the same.

Best trotting line I've ever used in 50+ years on moving water.