Technology Advancements.

cg74

Reaction score
Do you love or loathe them? Do you use them?

I'm talking of Google Earth and Bing Maps for getting a rough guide to the lay the land on new waters prior to going.

Mapping in detail of the new water with GPS and a fish finder. As though satellite/aerial images show up many features; marginal shelves, gravel bars, deep drop offs, gullies, weed beds etc, without closer inspection you don't really know what is what.

The above can be installed on to a bait boat, so would you then use a BB to bait up with and/or place your baited rigs into your swim.

So where do you draw the line regards technology and why?

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Being a complete Technophobe the answer is easy. I use what I've learned over the years, you know the sort of thing, watercraft, experience and having a feeling for a place. Anything more than that I'm kn@@@@@erd.

I can see the use of such gadgets appealing to the younger generation or those who want a shortcut, but what happens when you forget your fish finder or GPS one day or god forbid it breaks down.

gregrot

Reaction score
Interesting topic.

IMO, anglers have always been known for thinking developmentally. I always wonder what **** Walker would have made of modern angling, especially given his track record for inventing new items of tackle, bite alarms and arsley bombs come to mind.

I guess if its about catching fish, then you'll use whatever technologies are available, if its about angling and the whole experience associated with it, possible not.

Each to their own basically

barbelboi

Reaction score
Pretty much as Judas states except I'm not a technophobe having being involved with computers (building/upgrading/fault finding) since the early 80's.
Jerry

cg74

Reaction score
Phil, do you honestly not check out new waters on Google or Bing maps? I always (without exception) check out new waters on t'internet before going and have done so for at least a decade now.

I also use watercraft, gut feelings etc but combined with the rough lay of the land, I'm on the fish quicker, which is good IMO.

I'm not sure about it being a "younger generation" thing - most bait boat users I've come across are 50 to 60yr olds, that isn't what I'd call young.

MRWELL

Reaction score
I don't use any of these things,what skill is there if your going to use these gadgets all the time,it aint watercraft is it or your general expertise that catches you the fish so what can you shout home about if you catch the big one or pb :confused:...technology is becoming a big thing in fishing but with it the general skills are being lost and i would always enjoy catching a nice fish using my own knowledge than all these aps and things that are around today but if thats what you like then fine but for me no chance and i have only ever blanked once in over thirty years of fishing not bad for a old stick in the mud :wh

cg74

Reaction score
I don't use any of these things,what skill is there if your going to use these gadgets all the time,it aint watercraft is it or your general expertise that catches you the fish so what can you shout home about if you catch the big one or pb :confused:...technology is becoming a big thing in fishing but with it the general skills are being lost and i would always enjoy catching a nice fish using my own knowledge than all these aps and things that are around today but if thats what you like then fine but for me no chance and i have only ever blanked once in over thirty years of fishing not bad for a old stick in the mud :wh

You are of course entitled to your opinions but exactly how am I losing my angling skills by using maps/aerial footage and webcams?

Here's a perfect example:
I'm a member of Birmingham AA, I fancy a day on a new (to me) stretch of the Warks Avon. I select a stretch - Bidford on Avon. Check out the clubs website for access/parking, get given this map (don't look if you're easily corrupted): Birmingham Anglers Association
Now I've already got a picture forming in my mind of some key features; faster shallow water at the head of this stretch by the road bridge. At about the mid-way point beside the bottom car park, the sharp bend is likely to be deeper water on the nearside. Then there's the lock and weir, also the confluence.
I can help my theorising by viewing aerial footage like this: Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions (click on bird's eye)
Now if I want to pre-empt river conditions, I'll look here: Farson Digital Watercams - Hi-def webcam on River Avon (Central), at Bidford on Avon
Here: Environment Agency - River levels station data
And here: BBC Weather : Stratford-upon-Avon

So who is working out where the fish might be, I certainly never saw any X's marking the spots. I take it you'd use the first and last sources of info; not that the last one has any level of accuracy.

Please tell me that you're a member of the England match team as only suffering one blank in 30 years is nothing short of phenomenal, even if cherry picking only 'perfect' conditions to fish in it's still an astounding feat.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Being a complete Technophobe the answer is easy. I use what I've learned over the years, you know the sort of thing, watercraft, experience and having a feeling for a place. Anything more than that I'm kn@@@@@erd.

I can see the use of such gadgets appealing to the younger generation or those who want a shortcut, but what happens when you forget your fish finder or GPS one day or god forbid it breaks down.

with a GPS you still have to know how to use a map and compass and you will be surprised how many folk think that is a load of boll@cks and then proceed to get lost on bleaklow in a blizzard!!
Also, a GPS needs batteries to function, its surprising how many folk bypass the the idea of taking spares, and the amount of people that actually think that the sat nav/GPS on their smart phones will suffice when roaming about on the hills is really quite scary :eek:mg:

peterjg

Reaction score
Google Earth is fantastic - I use to check out waters, it gives route directions, journey times and distance.

Bait boats are cheating and fish that are caught while using them don't count!!!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have dozens of o/s maps that I have collected over the years and I still use then because they are marked and noted where certain swims are. But I also use google earth it is very usefull and of coarse it is free. A good source of O/S maps is charity shops very cheap.:)

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
It is a very interesting subject. I've always found it almost impossible to draw a personal line in the sand.

Sometimes I think a bait-boat is not 'proper' angling and other times I think of it as a great advantage I'm missing out on. Part of me thinks there should be limits on what we can do to 'legitimately' capture a fish - if we wanted a fish at any cost we'd be fyke netting or using dynamite- but in another sense I struggle to decide what is and isn't fishing. I've never used a pole for instance. I might even at times consider it not to be a legit method -I mean there's no reel- but of course that is plainly ridiculous. I suppose when all is said and done the 'rules' or 'ethics' of angling are entirely a personal thing. If it makes you happy and isn't irresponsible then get on and do it.

I do use Google Earth though -which after all is nothing more than a modern development in cartography.

nicepix

Reaction score
I use Google Earth for research. Back in the UK I found loads of free wild fishing waters that way. Also, when researching a water I'll check the contours of surrounding land using GE in order have an idea on where the deeps and shallows may be and the layout of bays and other features so that I know what is likely to produce in various winds.

Similarly when water levels drop I'll photograph the areas I fish so that I have a record of the drop offs and features for when the levels get back to full.

On one of the large lakes here I was researching the contours of one relatively unfished bay and noticed a line of trees on the feeder stream seemed to continue on the unfished bank of the bay. Next time I was up there I plumbed the depth and found that right under the bank and trees was 11 feet deep, a good 5 feet deeper than further out. It was the old stream bed and has already produced some decent catfish.

Again back in the UK I had a sea going kayak with fish finder and GPS. By plotting the wrecks and reefs using a nautical chart onto the GPS I could paddle straight to fish holding features. Saved a hell of a lot of paddling.

The other thing I sometimes use is an infra red laser thermometer. Its a bit bulky, but is very useful to instantly check surface water temperatures. On the River Vienne last winter I found an underground stream feeding into the river that was 4 degrees higher than the main river temp' and was a holding spot for carp.

I think that technology along with watercraft are far more useful than many anglers realise.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have any problem at all in using my bait boat and echo sounder. I have somewhat restricted time for my fishing so I want to make the most of it, and if that means using an echo sounder for 10 minutes as opposed to casting a feature finding lead for an hour or more, then so be it.

After more than 50 years of serious fishing I haven't suddenly "lost" my watercraft or other skills, I simply add to them by using whatever technology is available.

I have thought about getting a GPS fitted to the bait boat but honestly think that they are too expensive versus my limited bank time.
That said, I do think that they would be valuable on those "Carp Fishers Misty Dawns" when it comes to putting your baits back in the right place . . . . . . .

maverick 7

Reaction score
It never even enters my head to use things like that.....I rely totally on what I have learned over the years. It makes no difference to me whether I am fishing for a full session or just a few hours....I would ALWAYS rely on what I know and I would stand or fall by it.

When I'm fishing and in whatever circumstances.....short or long session, I like things to be as natural as possible....that's why I have always preferred rivers and natural lakes to other stillwaters as I find them to be nearer nature.

I'm sorry but in that environment....... getting out a bait boat or a fishfinder simply doesn't light my candle.

Maverick

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but in that environment....... getting out a bait boat or a fishfinder simply doesn't light my candle.

No need to feel sorry, each to their own.

I doubt if many would like to fish upstream dry fly only on a chalk stream but I adore that sort of fishing too . . . . . .

cg74

Reaction score
It is a very interesting subject. I've always found it almost impossible to draw a personal line in the sand.

Sometimes I think a bait-boat is not 'proper' angling and other times I think of it as a great advantage I'm missing out on. Part of me thinks there should be limits on what we can do to 'legitimately' capture a fish - if we wanted a fish at any cost we'd be fyke netting or using dynamite- but in another sense I struggle to decide what is and isn't fishing. I've never used a pole for instance. I might even at times consider it not to be a legit method -I mean there's no reel- but of course that is plainly ridiculous. I suppose when all is said and done the 'rules' or 'ethics' of angling are entirely a personal thing. If it makes you happy and isn't irresponsible then get on and do it.

I do use Google Earth though -which after all is nothing more than a modern development in cartography.

Pretty much exactly how I view things.

"I've always found it almost impossible to draw a personal line in the sand."
Same as me; every time I've drawn a line, there's always an exception (or two).

Bait boats: I've always been of the opinion they're cheating, putting baits where the angler can't cast too. But I've been spending time on a fairly large gravel pit and the only place I see the carp with any regularity is about 200m from the bank (I'll borrow a mates laser golf range finder to be certain). I'm happy to admit I can't cast that distance, I might be able to hit 150m with my beach casting tackle but I would not want to be playing large carp on such a crude set-up.

I accept that casting is an intrinsic part of angling but.....

It is a tough call knowing where to draw the line, as it is such a personal thing. I guess that's why some just say no?

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Pretty much exactly how I view things.

"I've always found it almost impossible to draw a personal line in the sand."
Same as me; every time I've drawn a line, there's always an exception (or two).

Bait boats: I've always been of the opinion they're cheating, putting baits where the angler can't cast too. But I've been spending time on a fairly large gravel pit and the only place I see the carp with any regularity is about 200m from the bank (I'll borrow a mates laser golf range finder to be certain). I'm happy to admit I can't cast that distance, I might be able to hit 150m with my beach casting tackle but I would not want to be playing large carp on such a crude set-up.

I accept that casting is an intrinsic part of angling but.....

It is a tough call knowing where to draw the line, as it is such a personal thing. I guess that's why some just say no?

I saw a guy fishing with a hand line and was hitting 200 yds easy. The crafty sod put his weight, leader and hook length on a big piece of polystyrene and let it float out on the wind. When he'd got enough line out he pulled hard and the whole lot fell overboard :D

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I saw a guy fishing with a hand line and was hitting 200 yds easy. The crafty sod put his weight, leader and hook length on a big piece of polystyrene and let it float out on the wind. When he'd got enough line out he pulled hard and the whole lot fell overboard :D

They used to do that on the coppermill stream on the first swim by the road bridge with polystyrene chip trays . To get at the chub at the backend of the bridge where you could not fish just float it down on the flow. the roof of the bridge is only a couple of feet above the water so you cannot cast under the bridge.