Transporters....

maverick 7

Reaction score
Just about ready to give up my old trusty Suzuki Grand Vitara....what great 4 wheel drives they are. That vehicle has got me over the toughest of terrains on my fishing travels....usually on the Trent and sometimnes on the Swale.

I have my eyes on a Citroen C5 Tourer estate car.....I reckon they are very nice and wouldn't mind a change really....and still got bags of room for my gear...in fact much more than the 4WD. Looking for perhaps a 59 or 10 model. They are huge cars but amazingly economical...almost 60 mpg combined.

Anybody any thoughts?

Maverick

aebitim

Reaction score
The other half has a Doblo which is very capable on and off road for a 2 wd, Looks a bit odd though.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I read that title very quickly as saw it as "Trainspotters" and wondered how long it would be before the Monk made a reply, being our resident 'anorak'

maverick 7

Reaction score
The other half has a Doblo which is very capable on and off road for a 2 wd, Looks a bit odd though.

Thanks for your post Aebitim....I know which model you mean...

Looks like there isn't any drivers on this forum...I was only looking for a bit of advice....or maybe an opinion or something...

....ah well, never mind.

Maverick

yogi224

Reaction score
do you not need a 4x4 anymore then? i am just about looking for a 4x4 now as i miss my discovery and dont think i could not have one again

maverick 7

Reaction score
do you not need a 4x4 anymore then? i am just about looking for a 4x4 now as i miss my discovery and dont think i could not have one again

Very good point yogi....my Suzuki has been a great, great car and still is.

It is just that it runs on petrol and only does about 30 to the gallon....the car I am after is a diesel and does twice as much MPG...so the cost of the extra fuel just about pays for the new car...if you know what I mean.

....however, I will miss it very much....deep snow was absloutely no problem to that car, it would go through anything....and it was brilliant off road, but it's getting too expensive I'm afraid.

Thanks for the post yogi...

Maverick

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I also have a 4X4 which does 30 MPG. A diesel Nissan Terrano which although very reliable and in remarkable nick is now 13 years old.
This presents the catch 22 situation I think you are also in.
It would cost a lot of money to replace the vehicle. That money would buy a lot of extra diesel. The only gain would be more MPG..not any more comfort or reliability and certainly not better traction in the mud.

It is so old that the depreciation is of no consequence. However a new vehicle would depreciate in value far faster than the cost of diesel I am putting in now!

In a few short years I would be back to square one. So I think by putting off the evil day another year or two I will be saving that year or two's worth of depreciation. The other plus is I won't have to be so anxious where I park it avoid the "door slingers open" in the spermarket car park!!!!!!!!

maverick 7

Reaction score
I also have a 4X4 which does 30 MPG. A diesel Nissan Terrano which although very reliable and in remarkable nick is now 13 years old.
This presents the catch 22 situation I think you are also in.
It would cost a lot of money to replace the vehicle. That money would buy a lot of extra diesel. The only gain would be more MPG..not any more comfort or reliability and certainly not better traction in the mud.

It is so old that the depreciation is of no consequence. However a new vehicle would depreciate in value far faster than the cost of diesel I am putting in now!

In a few short years I would be back to square one. So I think by putting off the evil day another year or two I will be saving that year or two's worth of depreciation. The other plus is I won't have to be so anxious where I park it avoid the "door slingers open" in the spermarket car park!!!!!!!!

I hear what you are saying John...been there and done it...BUT although the car is still fine it needs new pads on front and back and is in dire need of a service too.

The tax on the new car is just £100 compared to £270 on the 4 x 4...at the moment my cat is costing me £170 per month approx....the new car will cost me £85 per month so you can see the £85 per month I am saving will go a long way to pay for the new car so I am getting a new car for almost nothing extra.

However, like I said I will miss it very much but I am also looking forward to getting my new car which, if all goes well should be next weekend.

Cheers John.

Maverick

terry m

Reaction score
Citroens have never twisted my lemon, but the C5 Tourer is a big old bus, like a wardrobe on wheels. You will be able to jam a ton of kit in there.

maverick 7

Reaction score
Citroens have never twisted my lemon, but the C5 Tourer is a big old bus, like a wardrobe on wheels. You will be able to jam a ton of kit in there.

They never did anything for me either Terry...until I had a test drive in a 1.6 hdi VTR + Nav.....Christ it was absolutely lovely to drive and I thought the 1600 engine was far too small for such a large car......It was like sh*t off a hot shovel....well, for a 1600 anyway.

They are very handsome estate car in my opinion and they have the reputation of being one of the most comfortable cars on the road.

The one I am hoping to capture is a 59 reg and is silver in colour....1.6L HDi VTR+NAV...a very nice car indeed. It has dual air con, on board computer and loads of other toys for me to play with.

I really wanted a 2.0litre 160BHP but they are like rocking horse poo and quite a bit more expensive too. They also do a 2.0L 140BHP but that is nowhere near as economical as the 160BHP.

Anyway, I have settled for the 1.6 as it is as powerful a car as I need.

Cheers Terry.

Maverick

terry m

Reaction score
A guy I knew used to wax lyrical about the super duper suspension on Citroens. I am not familiar with the fine details but when he started his BX up the whole body pumped up and raised several inches.

I guess it made for a smooth ride.

maverick 7

Reaction score
A guy I knew used to wax lyrical about the super duper suspension on Citroens. I am not familiar with the fine details but when he started his BX up the whole body pumped up and raised several inches.

I guess it made for a smooth ride.

The suspension on all models is excellent but on the top models which are called "Exclusive"....You can actually lift the car up or down manually with a button on the dash (I think) so if you are going fishing over rough ground just lift up the suspension and you should clear any bumps or small mounds with no proiblem......but they are not cheap.

The car is great if you want a used one and you're going to keep it for a good few years. Buying a new one is a mistake because they lose their value terribly in the first year or so....but not so bad after that.

Take a look at one on the internet (Autotrader) Citroen Tourer, Silver 1.6 HDi VTR+ 59 plate..and see what you think.

Maverick

richiekelly

Reaction score
I have had Citroens for a number of years and have found the engines to be very good, reliable and economical ( diesel ) I have had 2 of the old shape Picasso and currently have a C4 Picasso, the 1.6 hdi will probably be the same as the one in the C4 Picasso, the one I have now is due for change in June ( motability car ) I did look at the Ford Kuga 2 wheel drive, nice car but fuel consumption not what I need, I have looked at the Seat Altea XL which has better economy than the Citroen and that is probably what I will go for just for a change.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Skodas are a good buy especially the estate versions of the Octavia or Superb, there are good reasons why there are so many used as cabs.

maverick 7

Reaction score
I have had Citroens for a number of years and have found the engines to be very good, reliable and economical ( diesel ) I have had 2 of the old shape Picasso and currently have a C4 Picasso, the 1.6 hdi will probably be the same as the one in the C4 Picasso, the one I have now is due for change in June ( motability car ) I did look at the Ford Kuga 2 wheel drive, nice car but fuel consumption not what I need, I have looked at the Seat Altea XL which has better economy than the Citroen and that is probably what I will go for just for a change.

Hi Graham.....yes, it is the same engine as the Picasso. In fact, I was torn between the Grand Picasso and the C5....... they both have brilliant engines and I believe that Ford are using them in some of their cars now too.

Fuel consumption on the C5 is 47 urban...55 combined and just under 60 on a run....whether they prove to be true......we will see but the signs are good.

Talk to you later mate...

Maverick

---------- Post added at 05:35 ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 ----------

Skodas are a good buy especially the estate versions of the Octavia or Superb, there are good reasons why there are so many used as cabs.

Another car I considered in my search Ray....but what put me off was the reviews wasn't that flattering as they never are these days for Volkswagen cars.......or cars associated with them anyway.

The Passatt has been slaughtered in owner reviews ....I was surprised as I always thought they were great cars.

Anyway, I have now made my bed and I must lie in it......going to test drive the C5 this afternoon and if that is successful, put a deposit down and collect it next weekend.

Maverick

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Roberts View Post
Another car I considered in my search Ray....but what put me off was the reviews wasn't that flattering as they never are these days for Volkswagen cars.......or cars associated with them anyway.

The Passatt has been slaughtered in owner reviews ....I was surprised as I always thought they were great cars.

Anyway, I have now made my bed and I must lie in it......going to test drive the C5 this afternoon and if that is successful, put a deposit down and collect it next weekend.

Maverick

Just got rid of an Octavia estate, over a quarter of a million miles on the same engine,G/Box and fuel system. Economical and tough as old boots.

yogi224

Reaction score
Very good point yogi....my Suzuki has been a great, great car and still is.

It is just that it runs on petrol and only does about 30 to the gallon....the car I am after is a diesel and does twice as much MPG...so the cost of the extra fuel just about pays for the new car...if you know what I mean.

....however, I will miss it very much....deep snow was absloutely no problem to that car, it would go through anything....and it was brilliant off road, but it's getting too expensive I'm afraid.

Thanks for the post yogi...

Maverick
how about spending a little less money, say £1000 less on a 4x4 petrol and have a conversion done? that way if you get one that gives you 30mpg you will in effect be getting 60mpg? just a thought lol. i know how much i miss mine and cannot wait to get another

maverick 7

Reaction score
Just got rid of an Octavia estate, over a quarter of a million miles on the same engine,G/Box and fuel system. Economical and tough as old boots.

Incredible Ray......I have seen one or two of the C5's with the same kind of mileage....

How old was your Octavia Ray?

Maverick

---------- Post added at 09:21 ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 ----------

how about spending a little less money, say £1000 less on a 4x4 petrol and have a conversion done? that way if you get one that gives you 30mpg you will in effect be getting 60mpg? just a thought lol. i know how much i miss mine and cannot wait to get another

Too late yogi.....I have done the deed...left my deposit this afternoon and collecting a week on Wednesday.

It was beautiful to drive but the LCD for the Sat Nav and radio wasn't coming on....anyway they are going to put that right and also one of the boot lights doubles for a torch...but it's missing so that needs replacing too.

Other than that there's not a mark on it inside and out.

I have thought about a conversion for my current car but couldn't be bothered with it..

..Deep down yogi.....I really wanted a new one I think.;)

Maverick

yogi224

Reaction score
Incredible Ray......I have seen one or two of the C5's with the same kind of mileage....

How old was your Octavia Ray?

Maverick

---------- Post added at 09:21 ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 ----------

Too late yogi.....I have done the deed...left my deposit this afternoon and collecting a week on Wednesday.

It was beautiful to drive but the LCD for the Sat Nav and radio wasn't coming on....anyway they are going to put that right and also one of the boot lights doubles for a torch...but it's missing so that needs replacing too.

Other than that there's not a mark on it inside and out.

I have thought about a conversion for my current car but couldn't be bothered with it..

..Deep down yogi.....I really wanted a new one I think.;)

Maverick
yeh mate i realised that before my post, posted anyway lol. good luck :)