Obsessions?

terry m

Reaction score
There are a lot of contributors on here that have forthright opinions and are passionate about their beliefs.That is fine and I have no problem with that.

But, when does high levels of enthusiasm spill over into one eyed obsession?

Is that obsession unhealthy, is that obsessive you?

Where is that fine line between enthusiasm and obsession?

C

chefster

Some people might think i am obsessed with commercial fisheries,because i defend them strongly ,I,m not-i fish a variety of waters-the only reason i obsessively defend commercials is because too many people have too many pre-conceived ideas about them and liken them to "Farmers ponds"" Other than that i am obsessed with fishing in general!:)

sanders

Reaction score
That's a very interesting question Terry and not easy to answer. I tend to go from having only a passing interest in fishing to becoming obsessive about it. Or more to the point, I will become obsessive about a particular campaign, be it a stretch of river where I'm trying to target big barbel or chub, or a hunt for a big tench from a pit. But there is no doubt that I enjoy the obsessive side of it far more than the casual side. I tend to think of it as "focused" rather than obsessive, at least at first. It soon becomes an obsession though when you can think of little else at work and other interests cease to exist for a while.
I definitely fish much better during these periods, but that's really all they are. Certain times when the enthusiasm hits fever pitch and nothing matters but getting onto the bank! :)

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know lots of people with a "one-eyed obsession" I call them w****rs! Not on this forum (yet!)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are a lot of contributors on here that have forthright opinions and are passionate about their beliefs.That is fine and I have no problem with that.

But, when does high levels of enthusiasm spill over into one eyed obsession?

Is that obsession unhealthy, is that obsessive you?

Where is that fine line between enthusiasm and obsession?

What Tel, like having an obsession about a certain Okuma reel :wh:

terry m

Reaction score
That's a very interesting question Terry and not easy to answer. I tend to go from having only a passing interest in fishing to becoming obsessive about it. Or more to the point, I will become obsessive about a particular campaign, be it a stretch of river where I'm trying to target big barbel or chub, or a hunt for a big tench from a pit. But there is no doubt that I enjoy the obsessive side of it far more than the casual side. I tend to think of it as "focused" rather than obsessive, at least at first. It soon becomes an obsession though when you can think of little else at work and other interests cease to exist for a while.
I definitely fish much better during these periods, but that's really all they are. Certain times when the enthusiasm hits fever pitch and nothing matters but getting onto the bank! :)

This was the sort of obsession I was really referring to:-
A specific sized fish
a particular fish - eg the Traveller when alive.
a particular method
a particular campaign blah blah

So if one of those passions spills over into your personal life, your marraige, yyour relationship with non fishing friends, your job, does that passion becaome an obsession and does anyone on here want to admit to crossing that line in the past - or present?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not in resent years but in the past I know of no end of cases of carp fishing becomming a obsession . Lost jobs and careers, broken marriages, and mental breakdowns and medical problems by not looking after themselves . All to catch catch a particular fish or fishes it is unbelievable how it can get hold of some people . All types have fallen into this trap it does not seem to happen these days but in the 70s and 80s it was rife .

MRWELL

Reaction score
not with me,i can go months without fishing or thinking of it to be honest,i never let fishing take over my life at any point i do what i like to do on the day and thats it with me;)

C

chefster

not with me,i can go months without fishing or thinking of it to be honest,i never let fishing take over my life at any point i do what i like to do on the day and thats it with me;)

I,m the total opposite-I hate it if i cant get out at least a few times a week,especially in the better weather!mind you i,ve found it hard this winter,i guess thats age,but i still spend time tying rigs,hooklengths etc..Idrive my missus mad sometimes!!:)

maverick 7

Reaction score
Obsessions come and go......I can be obsessive about angling one period of time and then not too bothered about it at another period of time....I have to confess though...that's usually in the wintertime.

That goes for quite a few of my activities....but I am mainly talking about my hobbies.

Maverick

terry m

Reaction score
I must confess that every winter I dance that fine line between passion and obsession in my lifetime search for a 30+ pike, a search that still continues.

I know I spend way too much time freezing my nuts off facing into a biting wind knowing that my chances of success are very slim, but, if I was not there the chances would be nil!

'Tis, for me, one reason why I welcome the close season as it is an excuse/reason to wind myself back away from it for a few months..........

......until the next October 1st arrives...!

maverick 7

Reaction score
I must confess that every winter I dance that fine line between passion and obsession in my lifetime search for a 30+ pike, a search that still continues.

I know I spend way too much time freezing my nuts off facing into a biting wind knowing that my chances of success are very slim, but, if I was not there the chances would be nil!

'Tis, for me, one reason why I welcome the close season as it is an excuse/reason to wind myself back away from it for a few months..........

......until the next October 1st arrives...!

That's fair enough Terry......I too used to sit in the biting winds of deep winter....for many years in fact, right up to around 2005 when I decided that I must be completely nuts to continue this.

It wasn't pleasure....it was more like a survival exercise.

....so I decided to call it a day.... in those conditions at least.

Maverick

terry m

Reaction score
That's fair enough Terry......I too used to sit in the biting winds of deep winter....for many years in fact, right up to around 2005 when I decided that I must be completely nuts to continue this.

It wasn't pleasure....it was more like a survival exercise.

....so I decided to call it a day.... in those conditions at least.

Maverick

I understand your point........ but one day Maverick, one day it just might happen.........:eek:

cg74

Reaction score