Stripping a rod down

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I have a couple of old rod's I'd like to rebuild, I had them for a while and they have sentimental value if no real monetary value. I'd like to do it myself as I'm fond of a project.

I've been reading online and I've managed to find out how to remove the eyes and handle, it looks time consuming but relatively straight forward. The problem is the varnish that actually covers the rod isn't in the best condition, it's bloomed in places and looks tatty. I'm struggling to find out how to remove it so any suggestions? I presume that in process of removing the varnish I'll also remove logos etc?

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a couple of old rod's I'd like to rebuild, I had them for a while and they have sentimental value if no real monetary value. I'd like to do it myself as I'm fond of a project.

I've been reading online and I've managed to find out how to remove the eyes and handle, it looks time consuming but relatively straight forward. The problem is the varnish that actually covers the rod isn't in the best condition, it's bloomed in places and looks tatty. I'm struggling to find out how to remove it so any suggestions? I presume that in process of removing the varnish I'll also remove logos etc?

Whenever I am stripping a blank of varnish, I always use a Stanley knife blade, held at right angles to the blank and scrape. If you want to leave logos, tape over them or just avoid them when scraping. All the old varnish will come off easily and any new varnish applied will totally cover any scrapes you may have made with the blade.

What material is the blank made from? If it's carbon you always get an indication if you have gone too far by getting black in the scrapings! Just don't try using any solvents to remove the varnish.