if you hadnt become an angler

Deanos

Reaction score
I always wanted to act as a rep for a sweet firm, and go into super markets dressed up as "Bertie Basset", you would get as many FREE liquorice all sorts to eat as you could trough....IF BASSETS ARE READING THIS....I AM STILL AVILABLE!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Ron Clays Archenemy English Man -

Drunken,rugby playing toff who hates the working class and Johnny Foreigner

C

Cakey

Drag Racing and that dont mean putting on a pink dress and running against Ed ,Ray,Spiders or Wol......................../forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

No mate I would have shot everything that moved.

I still do a bit of air rifle shooting today but at one period in my life I owned the following

Star 9mm parabellum pistol

Colt .45 1911 ACP pistol

S&W .38 spl snub nosed revolver

Baitel 12 ga shotgun

Winchester .243 rifle

H & H .375 bolt action SA Copy

Various Weiracht air rifles.

F

Fred Bonney

Probably golf, as I spent all my useful fishing middle years playing cricket, and age won't let me do that well enough now.

The golf clubs are there though, if angling gets too much like hard work/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

thats why I gave up racing Fred......................at my age Ive the reaction time of a slug !

Reaction score
Interesting that......watched one of those Botham on fly programmes on "Discovery realtime 24hours fish.com or whatever". Tarrant was on. He made the point that he started fishing aged 4 and cannot conceive of his life without angling. The more I thought about it, the more I realised he was right...I cannot conceive of my life (gone and yet to come) without angling. (Great moments like both my sons' first fish etc etc)

Perhaps more rugby, a bit more cricket.....

Reaction score
I wasn't an angler for 10 years (in the physical sense anyway).

What did I do?

Sweet FA!

Oh, other than get married, work, renovate houses and bring up kids.

No time for hobbies!

Before that, if I'd never got into fishing in the first place then I would be a Llapp Goghch Master - the only one outside of Wales!

F

Fred Bonney

Thinking about it more though.

I've honed my body to the pointwhere mybuild is just right for darts, so maybe I would have excelled in that.

Especially with a nice glass or 6 of balancing fluid!!!/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
thumbnailCACNZ5W4.jpg

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I spent 7 years playing golf, and fishing too.

And on the range with the guns out.

Got down to a single handicap - 9 at golf then gave it up.

mat k

Reaction score
Strange one this.

I started fishing at the age of 7, my dad who was a polio victim couldn't get about like normal folk and decided to take me down a local estate lake to watch the guys fishing. that Christmas after seeing the enthusiasm in me, they bought me my first kit and i fished constantly for the next few years until an accident at 14 while fishing a local river with a school pal, i lost an eye when a hook and weight caught in the tree on the opposite bank was yanked back and caught me straight in the eye.

I lost interest for a number of years until one day while rummaging through dads shed i came across my old kit, many years old and completely out of date by the days standards i started to collect gear and slowly got back into the pastime that caused me so much grief in earlier years. like getting back on the horse that kicks you i couldn't leave it alone, i had other sports i was into at the time but nothing satisfied me like angling did...i took it as....it cost me an eye, it owed me big time.

So as for what would i have done otherwise.....i really don't know, its always been there for me.

slime monster

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>PoshPaul (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Interesting that......watched one of those Botham on fly programmes on "Discovery realtime 24hours fish.com or whatever". Tarrant was on. He made the point that he started fishing aged 4 and cannot conceive of his life without angling. The more I thought about it, the more I realised he was right...I cannot conceive of my life (gone and yet to come) without angling. (Great moments like both my sons' first fish etc etc)

Perhaps more rugby, a bit more cricket.....</blockquote>
i and most of us share that sentiment posh, the lack of direction non anglers or indeed non anything people show at weekends is alien to me ,working all week with no plan for at least one quality day unless you countwandering aimlesslyaround shops with the wife or buying other peoples crap at carboots/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

slime monster

Reaction score
mat, i think there are born anglers it sometimes takes a while to realise,

you where unlucky with the eye mate but your post highlights a danger some anglers are either unaware off or just too careless.

mat k

Reaction score
Your right, these days i hear more with pole floats but the danger is there always regardless of the tackle we use.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I really can't visualise a life without fishing, right from the time I accompanied my Dad on his trips to the Warks Avon as a very young lad in the war years when I did everything but fish right through until today which I spent at Larford relaxing with my fishing mate and nobbling a few fish. My entire life apart from my navy years has involved fishing,most of my friends are as a result of fishing or darts and good friends they are too.

Nope its fishing I'm afraid, somewhere along the line it was inevitable that fishing was going to creep in and I am oh! so grateful it did.