Is this right ?

C

Cakey

Dear Mr WhiteWe have received your application to renew your membership of Kings Arms AS together with your cheque for £**.Because your membership has lapsed for more than one year you are required to pay a joining fee of £20.We will retain your renewal details until such time as this is received.RegardsJ******* (Membership Secretary)

C

Cakey

I then said no one told me and its not in the rule book

next e-mail..................Hello Mr White,To clarify matters for you.If membership lapses, a joining, or re joining fee is required, thisis not shown in any rule book, it is accepted custom and practice for persons who lapse their membership of a club to pay a fee when re joining.Your membership of KACAS lapsed according to our records.I trust this explanation clears up any misunderstanding you may have.R ******* ( Hon. Sec.)

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Carp Society have a joining fee and a re joining fee if membership has lapsed but this is clearly stated on the web site.

blankety blank

Reaction score
i suspec ttha thte answer is that you have let your membership lapse, and therefore need to re-join. To re-join you have to do what the club tells you. If you don't like it, you would need to mobilise support among current members and they would need to make a fuss, perhaps at an AGM or EGM. Pretty unlikey though.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
New membership or out of date renewal an extra £5. Seems a lot more reasonable than £20. Is it legal to charge an amount which isn't declared in writing somewhere.

Nigel or Andy please.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
A joining fee, or re-joining fee is the usual custom and practice for lapsed members.

To not make this clear in the rules is not custom and practice and in my view the club are in the wrong.

F

Fred Bonney

The only argument I have with that Graham, is thata lapsed member, is no longer a member. Rules written or not.

So if a joining fee is payable under the written rules,Cakey would need to join.

C

Cakey

my arguement is that if I pay this £20 I still get my old club card back with the same number Ive had for 25 years with a 2008 sticker on it !

Reaction score
With Graham on this one, one of my clubs does offer a "period of grace" for existing members of a couple of months.

It is out of order not to have it explicitly in the rule book that a joining fee would be required even if you have lapsed for a brief period.

Hard people those Hertfordshire folk!!!

C

Cakey

Fred at the time of joining it was life membership and then pay for each season so Im still a member.........................

Reaction score
You had not mentioned the 25 years continued membership - goodness - for a lot of small clubs that would generate Honorary Life Membership!

Although the Hon.Sec, membership Sec., Lord High Executioner or whatever they call themself today is strictly correct - that is churlish, jobsworth, petty beyond belief.

Perhaps a letter to the full committee may be worth the effort

C

Cakey

they have not asked for new photos or a new member form to be filled in !

Reaction score
It gets worse - they are asking an existing life member to pay a joining fee or else they are not a member but are still a life member?

A solicitors letter beckons

Confused of Stockport

C

Cakey

this why I asked for their rules Paul but.........................

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Cakey, have you seen a copy of the full club rules?

What do they say, if anything,as to what life membership actually gives?Is life membership deemed different to ordinary membership in respect of renewal?

It is difficult to imagine how one can be deemed liable to a joining fee when one is already a member.

What Blankety says, who is also a solicitor, is certainly correct but given that it seems you are already a member, albeit a life one, the picture may be more complex.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's not wrong to have rejoining fee if you allow your membership to lapse. My point is that whatever the rule it needs to be written in such a way that it is clear andnot open to interpretation.

Reaction score
I agree with Graham, but how can membership lapse if Cakey has life membership?

Useually the joining fee is to cover the extra admin required. If there are no forms or photos that need admin work then surely it's a rip off!