Beta Search Engine

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
We're trying out a beta search engine in the Features section of the site.

Click on the 'Features' tab at the top of this and any pageand then any of the text links that say, for instance, 'All Politics and comments articles', 'All diaries and stories', etc, and then type in a key word.

Let us know on this thread what you think of it and if you find any errors.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Personally Graham I find the search engine very hard to get round,I can never seem to find what I want on it .For example I typed in pole fishing andcould not find what I wanted.The beginners stuff should be first up on thereie beginners pole fishing.
Some times I get lucky and get it right but more times than not I cannot find what I want.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I now take that back as it seems to be coming up with what I wanted now ,top notch even I can find stuff now.

The Monk

Reaction score
very good Graham, an excellent new addition to what is already top site, it just gets better, my only critism is we dont have more young ladies posting/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
I must admit I didnt find much on guitars and shredding either?/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="quoteheader">The Monk, wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class="quote">I must admit I didnt find much on guitars and shredding either?
smile_smiley.gif
</blockquote>
I just typed in 'guitar' and it came up with 4 articles - no kidding!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I'm not sure what we're talking about.

Is it the text links, top left of the green banner that goes from Catch Reports to Forum?</blockquote>
Just follow my first post on this thread exactly.

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>The Monk, wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I must admit I didnt find much on guitars and shredding either?/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>
I just typed in 'guitar' and it came up with 4 articles - no kidding!</blockquote>
haha, they must be mine/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif, or Eds

Reaction score
I just did search on 'poo' and there were 129 forum post that mentioned it. Most of them were nothing to do with me so effemmers should stop slinging the blame my way for sending FM to the gutter /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's technology for you Monk /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif<blockquote class=quoteheader><blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote>
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I'm not sure what we're talking about.

Is it the text links, top left of the green banner that goes from Catch Reports to Forum?</blockquote>
Just follow my first post on this thread exactly.</blockquote>

Have you got it yet Matt;

You do need a barge pole mate???.</blockquote>

Reaction score
Yes I've got it.

The main problem I see is that you need to know how something has been categorised before you search for it.

At one point I could walk into a record shop and search for an album alphabetically. However, these days the music is been split into categories (or genres!)'defined by the music shop'. How am I supposed to know that the album I'm after is in the 'Urbanhipbreakdub' section and not the 'funkygroovemovement' section.

This is similar.

W

Wolfman Woody

Works fine. /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

So if I'm ever looking for any 'betas' I'll be sure to use it.

What's a beta, btw? Some new groundbait or feeder method?

F

Fred Bonney

Took me a couple of attempts, but even I worked it out.

Looks OK to me Graham.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Beta is a term used by software engineers/programmers for a first or trial version before the official release.

Beta versions are often released to a select few users in order to discover bugs and the like so that the programmer can iron them out before they issue it to everyone.