How as an individual can we help improve angling

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Without joining a club, society or representative body can an individual improve angling

I pick up rubbish, I take a plastic bag and put any discarded line, hooks broken floats in it and take it home. Any other rubbish in my swim goes in the bag as well

I given other anglers line, hooks shown a couple of novices a few pointers, but other than that what more can an individual do?

C

chefster

"Take a friend fishing week" -next week,mind you i,m not sure taking anyone with this weather would encourage them that much:D:D

Keith M

Reaction score
M'Lord,
You could always allow the local peasants to fish on Furkum Hall lake one day each year when the Pheasant shooting season is closed and the peasant season opens :):):p

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
CG74 seems to have been involved in a few things as an individual

cg74

Reaction score
CG74 seems to have been involved in a few things as an individual

Yep, doing what I do best; being a right royal pain-in-the-arse.

There are many things that we can do as an individuals to improve the environment and subsequently our fishing. Many of the things require next to no effort or time and if we bothered to speakout enmass, as individuals we could make some sit up and take notice.

A fairly recent example was the BBC's Springwatch series and the amount of anglers on here and elsewhere that vented their disgust at what amounted to a complete misrepresentation of the facts re otters.
The BBC even has an easy to use complaints procedure, as does Ofcom but no one bothered to say anything (well except me).

Lodging objections to developement proposals that pose any potential risk to the environment.

And the most satisfying is when reading EA proposals during the consultation period and finding out what a bunch of no nothings some of their employees are, then making your opinion known.

These three examples all benefit from numbers of complaints/objections lodged rather than who it is making it.
Take the Springwatch example, the highest number of complaints Ofcom have had is 2200, we should've been way higher, but we weren't!

Last edited: