Who breeds or uses Gozzers now?

MRWELL

Reaction score
For many the perfect Maggot is the Gozzer but you can not buy these in tackle shops that i know of so you have to breed them,not many like the idea of that but it is a simple thing to do,do any of you guys breed these if so do you think they are the best maggots you can use?

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
If I remember rightly, it's a case of getting a sheeps heart (from the butchers) and putting it in a dark place for a week or so, not tried it myself though even though it sounds simple enough.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you want a full explaination of how to produce gozzers by the master .Get yourself a copy of Ivan Marks on match fishing he goes into the subject in depth . what to use when to use it . He says if he did not have gozzers he would not fish for summer bream.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't use them these days, but used to always take them to the festivals in Denmark or Sweden, sometimes if you ordered ahead the bait-man would keep them for you too.

First class bait for Bream in the stillwaters and on the rivers the bigger Roach loved them.

David Dalton

Reaction score
Just out of interest, is it a different species of fly to the usual bluebottle that is used to produce gozzers? If so, how do you ensure that only the right fly gets to the pigs heart?

C

chefster

Just out of interest, is it a different species of fly to the usual bluebottle that is used to produce gozzers? If so, how do you ensure that only the right fly gets to the pigs heart?

You have to get specially trained bluebottles:D;):)

maverick 7

Reaction score
Crikey Stan......that's a long forgotten bait matey...

However....it is a great bait for bream, my brothers used them all the time in their heyday............( that's my brothers' heyday......not the gozzers )

...never tried it myself though.

Maverick

ravey

Reaction score
The gozzer fly is a subspecies of the regular bluebottle, and which only blows fresh meat in the dark - according to my Encyclopaedia of Coarse Fishing Baits. If anyone is interested, I can look up the scientific name.

Never tried to breed them, but would consider it if I was to fish a hard bream water.

Loads of the old books go into great detail regarding the process of breeding these super maggot hookbaits, which I suppose gives an indication of the faith/value placed on them by the best match anglers of the day.

xenon

Reaction score
Anyone seriously contemplating this needs a word of warning-the stench when you open up the newspaper wrapping is quite unbelievable-totally indescribable.