Bivvies & outer skin

Kevin Gibbs

Reaction score
I’m looking to buy a 2-man bivvy and want to know how important is it to have an outer skin/wrap. What advantage does the outer skin provide?

Reaction score
Having just bought a brand new trakker 2 man bivvy today, it will also protect the outside poles and (if its an extended wrap like mine, provide a peak so rain will not enter the bivvy(bit with groundsheet anyway

Ryan

C

Colin North, the one and only

My 2 man trakker is really a large 1 man trakker. Its a tight squeeze putting two bed chairs in and in fact, the only way to get two in is to have the heads more or less together, vee shaped, if you get my drift. My old JRC 2 man is like a tardis, where you get tons of room down the centre of the bivvie, and you possibly could get a third bed chair in, at a push. Rod bags and other stuff simply went down behind the bedchairs.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The outer skin primarily provides for full waterproofing, then due to the air gap formed between the inner and outer, it provides for warmth in the winter and coolness in the summer.
The benefits against condensation are obvious providing the outer is a full length skin which pegs down to the ground all the way around.

Make sure though that nothing pushes the inner onto the outer otherwise you may break the waterproof 'seal' and you'll be surprised how much water can gain entry in this way.

As for a 2 man bivvy, mine is the Fox Continental Easy dome which gives masses of space and the porch area allows you to store everything inside. The downside being that it is pretty large and heavy when dismantled.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
As mentioned above condensation is the main issue.

If though like me you keep the door wide open this is not a problem. Must admit i do not fish in winter with a bivvy. Also my JRC STi needs its overwrap as it as the breather panel so would leak like a sieve with out it.

Kevin Gibbs

Reaction score
Thanks for the rapid response on this, I was thinking of getting the JRC Quad Continental for the extra space. I can’t see the point of having a 2-man bivvy if you have to climb over someone to get out.

Reaction score
That bivvy is HUGE I'm sure you will love it, you will probably need a barrow to take it anywhere though.

Ask Steve Spiller, I think he has one (not sure it's the continental version tho)

Ryan

The JRC Sti brolly easily fits two bed chairs in if you wanted an open front jobby.

(my first post was meant to be in additon to what had already been said (warmth condensation etc)

Kevin Gibbs

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Ryan do you think this bivvy is a bit of overkill will I have trouble finding enough ground space to erect it. My main concern is to have enough room for 2 bed chairs and the ability to move in and out without disturbing my son.

Reaction score
You would be best asking steve as he has it / one.
If you haven't already have a look for dimensions and lay it out in your garden with lengths of wood etc, then put your bed-chairs in and other bits and see if it feels right size wise, remember the walls will slope in a bit and you don't want you stuff touching the sides so leave a little gap.

Ryan

P.S. Havnt heard bad reviews on the Quad but have heard plenty on the STI twin skin 2 Man

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Kevin.

I easily fit both of my stepchildren on a double airbed and my own bedchair in the fox continental.

If you want any more information, then PM me.

PGJ.

Reaction score
Unsure what you mean Bryan , but if its related to the STI Twin Skin, they just say

A) It heavy compared to others
B) You need to use the second skin for it to be waterproof (first skin has mozzi panels in the roof)
C) The Bag Is WAYYYYYY to small to put the bivvy back into

Ryan

( I will be online later and will elaborate)

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Thats ok i already know this.

Weight is not a issue as only use it with my barrow. Unless like me you forget the important things like the handles the have to walk half way around sywell with it.

Imentioned the breather panel problem earlier in the thread also. Do they not do it now with out the breather panels.

Also bought the bivvy bag it falls into that no problem. Though i must admit it was not very hard to get back in its own bag. The bivvy bag is grat as you can get a lot of other gear in with the bivvy also.

Thanks Ryan i was just checking in case there was something i did not know.

Haribo

Reaction score
Alrret guys i have the JCR STI 1 man twin skin, but even tho i have only used it once had no problems. never leaked and it was leggin it down tht bad the lake overflowed. had plenty of room with my bed chair set up. and so easy to put away and no problems getting it back in2 the bag so dont no where your gettin the bag is way 2 small for the bivvy bryan.

so overall great bivvy /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif thumbs up from me!

Tight lines!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The original bag (like a sleeping bag sack) is very tight i tend to leave the groundsheet out. I then purchsed the bivvy bag I(like a big holdall) from JRC and it swallows the bivvy with room for the bivvie table and lots of odds and sods you take.

Have used the bivvie now for 5 years and never had a problem till the other weekend when using it up at coniston on a diving weekend. The wind was that strong it snapped the cord in the centre set of poles. Madeit hard to get up but when it was it was still just as sturdy.

Would get another again.

Mark Sutherland 2

Reaction score
Moring all,

Back in August Ipurchased a Quad 2 Man Continental with the Outerskin on a deal from Devon Angling Centre. I had purchased an STI 2 man ex-display bivvie online form them and after assuring me it was on it's way they rang to say that it had already been sold to soemone else and instead let me have the above for the same £coin so top blokes as far as I am concerned.

I have put the shelter up once and it has more room inside than a 2 bed semi!!! so no complaints there either.

My problem is that it took me an age to put up. Does anyone know, is there is a knack to putting these things up or is it practice makes perfect etc.... Also a realstruggle to get the it back in it's original bag so looks like i'll be getting a bivvie bag at some point.

Any advice welcome, tight lines to all.....................