Shock leader to main line knot

D

david bruce 1

OK, so what knot do people use to connect the shock leader to their main line?

What length of shock leader do you use? I've been usingthe length ready to cast plus three turns on the reel spool.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Not an easy one to explain David theres about 3-4 different ones some for braid to nylon and some for mono to mono.

Best one ive used is The Mahon knot shown to me by the Mahon brothers in Belgium

Cant even begin to explain it , come round our house and i will show you it./forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
I use two blood knots.

Whip the respective lines around each other and pull tight (after wetting). Four turns to each blood knot should be enough.

I normally drip a drop of superglue on to the knot, that, not only secures it permanently but it also smooths the surface of the knot.

The strength of the knot is about 97% of the breaking strain of the lighter line. (quoted from Abu Garcia knot strength data)

Russell Welsh

Reaction score
u wanna use a shock leader knot coz a blood knot is to big and should only be used if the braking strain is the same

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
We are back into Horses for Courses territory. We use what we feel comfortable with.

The fact is that, properly tied, the blood is no larger, in diameter than any other knot. It is (according to testing over some years) the strongest knot (97%), in terms of line B/S percentage, in the book.

Figures of eight knots have a severe limitation in monofil applications wrt slippage and cutting. They are even more vulnerable to slippage in braid applications.

Grinners are typically 85% of line B/S.

alan

Reaction score
http://www.hatterasoutfitters.com/shocker_knot.htm

nice easy knot to use, ive never had it break or slip, and using it the total coarse fishing show it got me on the leader board for knot strength.

your length is fine, a few turns on the reel plus the drop.

as to strength of leader, the general rule is 10lb per ounce you are casting, so

5oz = 50lb

4oz = 40lb

6oz = 60lb

i agree with Russell, blood knot to blood knot when using 50lb line leaves a huge knot, compared to the usual shockleader knot. unless you are using tapered leaders in which case blood to blood is about the same size.

lee burley

Reaction score
Use a single overhand knot on the shock leader ensuring the mainline passes through it. Wet it and then pull it secure. On the main line, form a loop (main line only) then pass main line through the loopand shock leader 4 or 5 times, wet it and pull it tight. return to the shock leader knot and tighten as much as possible then do the same with the main line. Snip the tag ends off. This gives you as secure, small and neat knot.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
I use the same as Lee except I dont snip the tags ends off. If you snip them off they leave a small stiff tag end that gets caught up in the line on the spool and rattles through the rod rings and loses you distance on the cast. Leave the tag ends long and supple and they will fold over and slide through the rings a lot easier, they wont increase your distance but they will stop it getting reduced.

alan

Reaction score
same knot i linked to.

Trev when ive left the tags long it snags the weed more, and in the solent the floating weed can get bad enough to stop people fishing.

i suppose the answer could be to trim the shockleader short and leave the mainline long.

mickyfinn007

Reaction score
I tend to use a uni-glob knot, this was shown to me in Sea Angler magazine about 16 yrs ago, works a treat.

It has to be right, as I am a 200 yd+ caster.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Go on then Micky stick a copy of it on the rigs and knots pages./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>mickyfinn007 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I tend to use a uni-glob knot, this was shown to me in Sea Angler magazine about 16 yrs ago, works a treat.

It has to be right, as I am a 200 yd+ caster. </blockquote>It doesn't matter whether you can cast 20 yards or 200 yards as the knot is on the spool when you load up the rod. I believe that I use the same knot though, and it is made by heating the end of the leader until it forms a blob (I tamp the blob when still molten to form a slight mushroom) I then tie a uni /grinner knot with the reel line onto the leader, the leader is wetted and the knot slid up to butt against the blob. The knot is the neatest that can be used to tie a thin line to a thick leader. It doesn't catch on the rings and can also be used on reels that have a level wind mechanism.

alan

Reaction score
Ray, ive used it before, while its great for casting ive had the "blob" snap when fishing for smutts. its the reason i dont use it anymore.

Micky any chance of some lessons?

alan

Reaction score
aye, smoothounds. smutts. or doggies on steroids.

had some loon on hayling fish for them using a carp rod, had a pup at 6lb nearly smash him to bits. 2 3/4lbtc 12lb line etc.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>alan wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Ray, ive used it before, while its great for casting ive had the "blob" snap when fishing for smutts. its the reason i dont use it anymore.

Micky any chance of some lessons?</blockquote>
I have never had a problem using this knot. I use Greased Weasel leader material. I have done a bit of Smoothound fishing from boats at Bradwell, go a bit don't they.

alan

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Roberts wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>go a bit don't they.</blockquote>
carp anglers dont know what they are missing.