Introduction

animalmoth

Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Tom and I'm a recovering match angler! I've joined the site primarily to get some info on the fishing in my local area. I've just moved to Hillingdon and am looking to find some venues, preferably within 30mins drive to fish for tench and barbel. I've visited a few local tackle shops and made some enquiries with mixed success.

The Uxbridge rovers club looks like the best bet for barbel from the Colne. The only real lead I've had for the tench is Harrow (Denham 1).

I'm not a specimen angler really, just looking for some decent sport, so getting a few on the bank is more important to me than putting in hours to catch a PB.

I know there's a few tench in the slough arm, so I'll probably give that a go.

I would greatly appreciate any info, especially on tench venues (I do love a cheeky little pond), but feel free to share anything that might be of interest re. clubs, venues or techniques etc...

Many thanks, Tom

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Hi Tom, Uxbridge rovers do have a couple of tench lakes, one at Denham and one in Cowley. Other clubs worth looking at are Intertype or Gerrards cross.
If you want to start fishing now try Farlows in Iver, it's a day ticket venue. Plenty of tench in the match lake.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Welcome to FM Tom. As someone who's fished/lived in the area all my life I'd also recommend Intertype (some brilliant tench waters) and GXUDAS (possibly the best barbel stretches on the Colne). Both good value and not far to travel.
Jerry
PS For tackle and info. I'd recommend Harefield TS.

Last edited:

animalmoth

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the responses Gentlemen!

I shall be following up those leads with enthusiasm.

I did have a little look at URACS golf course lakes yesterday and had a chat with a carp angler. I must say, I wasn't immediately struck by the place but first impressions (especially this time of year) can be deceiving.

I've popped into Harefield tackle too and they were quite helpful. I'm going to go back in a few weeks time for a bit more digging ;)

Intertype definitely warrants a closer look too.

Thanks again Chaps.

Tom

animalmoth

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It's all been very helpful. I just joined Intertype and GUDAS, so if any of you are also members, I'll hopefully see you on the bank or at a meeting/work party.

I'm really looking forward to checking out the waters, esp Stoke Place, Hitcham Ponds and the Colne.

I hope you all have a bountiful summer!

Tom.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It's all been very helpful. I just joined Intertype and GUDAS, so if any of you are also members, I'll hopefully see you on the bank or at a meeting/work party.

I'm really looking forward to checking out the waters, esp Stoke Place, Hitcham Ponds and the Colne.

I hope you all have a bountiful summer!

Tom.

I'm sure you won't regret it Tom - probably bump into you as I tend to spend quite a lot of time at SP and the ponds during the warmer months before switching to the rivers later in the year.
Jerry
PS If you require any info. about any of the waters drop me a PM.