Fishing Straight Through

DZ

Reaction score
Hello Chaps

Just thinking about me rigs, and in preparation for fishing the notoriously tackle hungry Wye, have decided that straight through, free running,ledgering with banded pellet the way to go.

In the past I've had trouble however with stopping the lead from hitting the hook on a big cast. Have tried drennan float/lead stops and others but they all seem to either slip or damage/crush the mainline.

Any thoughts???

Thanks

DZ (anorac face)

The Sogster

Reaction score
Hi Dougal,

I would suggest fishing with a hooklength tied to a size 8 swivel on the end of your mainline, firstly thread on your run ring and then use a couple of rubber beads to prevent the lead/ feeder hitting the knot and damaging it.

I realise that this isn't straight through but it is the easiest solution and of course no line damage fron ledger stops etc. It is also easy enough to shorten or tie on a longer hooklength if necessary.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Why not compromise Douglie my boy, anything you put on your line is prone to slipping, and damaging your line, all the above are fine when fishing close , but for distance useless.

Use a swiv between your mainline and hooklink?. You know it makes sense.

Plus bead of course

keora

Reaction score
With the original Drennan leger stop, the line was threaded through a cylindrical ring, and then a dark green plastive plug was jammed into the cylinder to hold the ring in place.

Have you tried the improved type of Drennan leger stop ? The line is threaded through a small hole in the plastic plug, and because the plug has two split wings, it grips the line more evenly when the plug is forced into the cylindrical ring.

honslow

Reaction score
Dougal, Enterprise do a clever little gadget that you thread on to your mainline. It allows you to fish straight through and quickly adjust the 'hooklength' too. Can't remember what the Hell it's called though. Memory like a sieve!

DZ

Reaction score
Thanks Peeps

The reason for straight thru is so I dont have to keep tying hooklengths AND as I will be loosing the odd hook (boulder strewn is where the barbel like it),I wont be leaving aswivel trailing.

I think Paul probably has the bestoption of 3 large float stops plus bead.

DZ

Reaction score
Thanks Greg - you posted while Iwas typing- I'll have a look out for said gadget

Reaction score
Heres something i used to do all the time, put your weight on then a bead, then a length of tubing, silicon or the sinking stuff carpers use (thinnest posible) , then get a crimp and crimp over the tube

with practice, you can get it so that the crimp can just move if you put a fair amount of force on it.

Ryan

(it also goes through weed no problem )

DZ

Reaction score
adjuster-stop.jpg

adjstop.jpg

I think this is what Greg is refering to.

Any of you tried this- looks a bit fiddly if I'm gonna be snagging up often.

DZ

Reaction score
Ryan - you got me thinking - still fiddly in the dark tho!

DZ

Reaction score
Keith

I tried the 'hole through the pin' types but they slipped- I suppose 2 of them would do it

Philip

Reaction score
I went through the same question when I was chub fishing with a light link ledger and I wanted to avoid a swivel.

I tried basically all of the above (except the Enterprise gadget as it was not available then) but what I ended up doing and still do today is get a bit of silicone tube about 1cm long slide it on the line and then jam a bit of cocktail stick about the same length into it. The cocktail stick swells in the water and provides a tight grip with no line damage..you have to use common sense as it will still slip if you try a big cast, heavy lead etc but I think it could be what your looking for..

...however in the majorty of situations I would just acceptthe swivel,especially on a big fast rver like thewye were you couldneed a bigger lead to hold over and across in the current...

steve smith

Reaction score
I have tried the enterprise adjuster stop and your line breaks when pressured, i wouldnt trust them ,a friend had the same problem.

I use a swivel attached to the hooklength and mainline with polomar knots and its very reliable,using 12lb line i can bend out most types of hooks before the line breaks,i fish the Trent also rocky and havent suffered because i use a swivel.

I cant think of a reliable way of fishing heavy leads straight through, if you are getting broken regurlarly i would move swims/rivers.

Reaction score
Yeah, suppose it could be, you could pre prepare some, so that the crimp is on the tube and pressured lightly with a gap, wouldn't want to do it without a torch headlight etc though.

I would be tempted to just use a swivel and bead, you know it makes sense.

Ryan

Reaction score
What size weight are you using Dougal and how far are you chucking?

For anything up to 1 and half oz on a moderate cast, two Drennan float stops should do the job coupled with an appropriate bead (I use the small ESP beads).

You can even make this a safe bolt rig with an extra bead and stop above the weight?

Reaction score
Have you ever found a loop knot you are happy with Steve?

I've tried to eliminate them (as the weakest link) from all of my rigs, with the exception of braid?