Fishing Rivers.

pez

Reaction score
Ok chaps its almost here, ive gotmy self a new shakespeare LXL 12-16 ft float rod and a new mach 3 shakespeare reel. (hope these ok). Was wondering what would be best line to use for trotting a float on the Loddon, medium size river, fairly weedy.I was thinking4lb main line with 3lb h/length.Also do you recommend keeping seperate spools for trotting or just add a line floatant. If i then wanted to run a bigbait along bottom, saymeat for chub should i up the line strength. All or any advice gratefully received thanks. Pez. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Sogster

Reaction score
Pez for trotting with a stick float you need a floating line. Beyer perlon or Drennan floatfish are excellent. I would rarely go over 3.2lb, even when targetting fish up to around 6 or 7lb.

The rod you have should help to protect the lighter strength lines from the fishes lunges.

Remember the heavier the line you use, the less control you will have over lighter floats. Basically the weight of the line will be too much for the float on a long trot and drag it out of position.

It is also worth remembering that unlike wagglers, stick floats work better with more shot than less. For example if using a four number four float then use at most only two number four shot and make up the rest of the weight with sixes and eights. Personally I would use sixes and eights only.

As for running baits through on the bottom use a good chubber or avon float with the bulk near the hook.

neil staton

Reaction score
Can anyone point me to a good 'how to' on river fishing please?

Cheers Neil