maggots

carpman

Reaction score
Hi all just wondering if anyone can help me.Im having alot of trouble keeping maggots alive without putting them into the fridge until the next day.Cos my wife is not over keen onme keeping them in our fridge.Its a pain that fishing shop owners are not open on sundays so we can get r bait nice and fresh.Iknow that everyone likes having sundays off but its a real pain for me.Couldnt they open untill ten in the morning..... Ha Ha Ha Ha PLEASEANYONE HELP........

MANY THANKS

John Heelis

Reaction score
I've had the same problem with the misses.

haven't got a garage or a shed, so i bought an old cool box from a charity shop for a couple of quid. had to buy new ice blocks mind. but it works ok for a couple of days providing you change the blocks regularly usually change mine 3 times a day, once before work, when i get home and before bed.

JimmyFloyd

Reaction score
I useone of thosechiller bags with a couple of freezer blocks. They're dirt cheap to buy and fold away quite well, I've always got a couple of the blocks in the freezer.

I've found it's best to pop an old towel in the bottom of the bag and another on top of the maggots before putting the blocks on top - this will help prevent the cold blocks scorching the maggots. I tend to seal my maggots in a plastic bag as that way they go into suspended animation when chilled and cut off from an air supply - it also keeps any moisture from the freezer blocks off them. The maggots tend to wake up pretty quick once exposed to the air.

I have four freezer blocks and rotate them every twenty four hours or more depending on thetime of year- if youwant to keep them for longer then just open the plastic bags for a few minutes everyday, give the maggots a shake and then reseal them -in this way youcan keep them freshfor up to a week or more.

A bit of effort but itkeeps Mrs Floyd happy!

ANDY SKI

Reaction score
I've had the same problem with my wife.
I bought her an old fridge, now she can keep her food in a shed, as I want to keep an eye on my maggots in a kitchen fridge/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Buy one of those mini beer fridges ......

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
don't have the wife problem but if i am of on a trip with no acess to a fridge then i do as JimmyFloyd and bag them up in half pints and keep in cool box.

Reaction score
Find a tackle shop open on a sunday. The shop i work in, the shop in the centre of town and another shop in bath are all open on sundays

Ryan

(ask the shop for there freshest maggots and extra maize)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Run an old fridge in the shed/garage; it's worked for me for 30 years (on my third fridge)."

Works for me too and I'm finished with my third wife!

You can keep maggots for a few days without a 'fridge by putting them in large trays with plenty of maize meal. Find the coolest corner and leave them there.

When you need them make sure that you riddle them well, two or three times.

Your profile doesn't say where you live, but in my area we have at least 3 tackle shops open on Sundays.

carpman

Reaction score
sorry peteri live in hemel hempstead in hertfordshire and there isit any mate.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Carpman,

Even though we have 3 open on a Sunday they are still a good 20 to 25 miles away from me, but worth the effort.

I think you should maybe go for a bait 'fridge or just use the trays in a cold dry part of the garage.

Tight lines.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I am a fridge in the garage man as well, I also have my own little freezer in there as well, saves all the argy bargy with inconsiderate wifey's. One little tip, you can buy small work top fridges if all you require it for is maggots and unplug it when it isn't in use.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Why not just pop the little fellas in the fridge without a word to the wife see if she even notices they're there.....or get some old meat leave it outside and in no time at all you'll have a fresh daily supply of maggots /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif Or possibly the more sensible solution is actually to get a small fridge.