Just how versatile is Bread

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I have used bread on a few occassions, but, just how versatile a bait is it, and in your own opinion does it get used enough?

David Dalton

Reaction score
I think that bread is a very versatile bait. All coarse fish except eels, perch, pike and zander can be caught on it. A few sea species can too - mullet and bass certainly.

For years I didn't use it much, as I suffered from the common hang-up about it coming off the hook too easily. I now use steamed, punched bread a lot of the time and that stays on well.

Bread has many good properties. It's cheap, clean, readily available and can be a sinking, floating or neutral buoyancy bait depending on how it is prepared. It works well in both winter and summer.

maverick 7

Reaction score
Fantastic bait for carp in the margins........particularly early evening.

....it's also a great bait for bream in those large stillwaters too......and pretty good for summer tench.

A veratile bait indeed but doesn't get used nowhere near as much as it should.

Maverick

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I watched Bob Roberts do a presentation on bread fishing once at the NEC, It's no secret that Bob and I have had our falling out but I have never disrespected him as an angler. If you want to understand how versatile bread is as a bait I would research what he has to say on the subject, it was most comprehensive.
Before I saw that I was pretty much a mash and crust man for a bit of winter chubbing but he opened my eyes that day.

Another great bread angler is Martin James, there was a time when he was using it almost to the exclusion of anything else and catching pretty much everything with fins on it.

chav professor

Reaction score
Bread is an amazing bait and has special properties... Its far more versatile than any other bait and really, your imagination is the limit. I had an aversion to using brown bread:eek:mg: Now I use it to the exclusion of anything in certain circumstances.

Bread is very misunderstood.. Can get it to stay on the hook for over an hour and still strike through it if a fish takes in on the drop after a cast.

Subtly change its buoyancy - floating, slow sinking or sinking.

Change its size, shape, subtly change its buoyancy - floating, slow sinking or sinking.

Been experimenting with flavouring bread with a liquid cheese product called 'Blue Cheese SAC Juice' for Chub... it worked really well.

maverick 7

Reaction score
Bread is an amazing bait and has special properties... Its far more versatile than any other bait and really, your imagination is the limit. I had an aversion to using brown bread:eek:mg: Now I use it to the exclusion of anything in certain circumstances.

Bread is very misunderstood.. Can get it to stay on the hook for over an hour and still strike through it if a fish takes in on the drop after a cast.

Subtly change its buoyancy - floating, slow sinking or sinking.

Change its size, shape, subtly change its buoyancy - floating, slow sinking or sinking.

Been experimenting with flavouring bread with a liquid cheese product called 'Blue Cheese SAC Juice' for Chub... it worked really well.

Couldn't agree more with you Chav......it really is a great bait. My Dad was a great angler and an absolute ace with bread when he was alive many years ago. He used to take a clean white cloth with him every time he went fishing and he used this to make his bread paste. He always hammered the big roach with it in the Witham and the Boston drains and drains around Wisbech.

For any pleasure commercial anglers reading this thread....as I said earlier, try flake in the margins in the early evening .....particularly after a hot sunny day.

Maverick

mick b

Reaction score
I've caught Pike on bread and seen another angler do the same.
Mine was a Jack around a pound and I caught it again the following day just to prove it wasn't a fluke, the other was a fish about 8lbs.
Also had Salmon, Sea Trout, Rainbow and Brown Trout and all the usual species except Zander and Perch.

Cheap as chips (no cheaper) widely available in quantity and with many variations, and the leftovers can be recycled as ground bait or in the wormary.

My practise is to cut off the crusts and soak them at home for a couple of hours then mash the with a potato masher (does a brilliant job by the way) and carry it in old ice cream cartons, that way anything unused can be frozen for another day.

But one brand outshines all the others, the one with the blue wrapper :wh

----------------------------~~ <',)))))={

S

steve2012

I couldnt river fish without it and its my number 1 bait when going for Roach, Chub and Bream

Liquidised in winter feeders, mashed with hemp for Summer and Autumn and of course the sight of a Chub taking crusts it always great

I've started using it again on Stillwaters for Crucians and 30 years after I used it all the time on lakes the fish still want it just as much now as they did then

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Bread is probably the most versatile bait

You can fish it on the bottom, popped up or on the top, you can liquidise it, make a paste, it will catch most coarse fish as stated and not a bait to leave home without - it will get you a bite often on days when all other baits fail

terry m

Reaction score
The only downside is the propensity for the angler to eat his own bait! Once you start it is hard to stop picking at it !!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I make my own bread all the stale stuff goes into an airtex bag in the airing cupboard and is then turned into pure groundbait, I know exactly what's in it, flour, yeast, salt and water, that's it.

mick b

Reaction score
The most versatile bait in our pantry is a Warburton extra thick toastie, Amazing stuff :)

Warburtons, The Anglers Bread Making Company IMO

What is the difference between the Blue label and the Orange?

Dunno why but last season I had more big Roach when I was using the Blue?
Confidence or coincidence?

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I've had perch on punched bread in the past though have to agree it does tend to avoid them. One of the best roach baits there is, especially in places where folks tend to throw loads in to feed the ducks.