Do you un-tangle?

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Or put another way: does anyone use a knot picker?

I can understand the need to poke and prod stuff with a pointy thing, but surely there is no point in un-tangling a messed up tangle.

When I was younger, I remember a mate spending ages un-tangling his line just for it to stick out all over the place once done, but tackle was in fariness hard to replace in them halcyon daze.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I have a knot picker and find it very useful
If you use a supple line and the knot is not too bad, it is possible to unpick the tangle without ruining the presentation

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I keep a knot-picking tool on my pole seat box and another one in my ruckbag and use them whenever necessary.

It is ideal for undoing those annoying little wind knots that seem to magically appear in pole rigs . . . . . . .

I'd far rather use a knot picker than have to bin a rig or an otherwise decent hooklength to be honest

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
It requires a judgement call -

If I'm fishing a simple running leger rig, for example, it would probably be quicker to just cut the line, bin the tangle, and re-tackle...

If, on the other hand, it's a precisely shotted float rig, I will try to unravel whatever mess I find myself in.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I see no point in untangling a knot, the likely hood of the line being damaged and therefore weakened must be a lot greater than just cutting it off and re tying again.

A loose tangle on the other hand shouldn't really require a knot picker .... just my own thoughts on the subject.

terry m

Reaction score
Knot pickers are ideal for braid knots or birds nests.

BTW does anyone else remember the practice of shouting "First Cuts" as a kid when your gear tangled with your mates gear. Being the first to declare First Cuts, meant that you were allowed to cut the line of the other person if the tangle could not be easily unravelled thus freeing up your own tackle with minimum fuss.

:eek:mg:

maverick 7

Reaction score
I foolishly always attempt untangle the mess....and when I am successful the line is in such a mess I have to start again anyway....so I reckon that mostly it is a waste of time trying to untangle a line in the first place.

If it's just a wrap around type tangle then sometimes I do get away with it.

Maverick

mick b

Reaction score
I always un-pick a mono knot if its not tightened to much.

Always un-pick a knot in braided lines (I have a Japanese made pair of fishing pliers that have two sizes of knot pickers built into the handles).

Always collect bundles of braided line dumped by other anglers and unpick it at my leisure because it makes the best repair/button thread of them all.

Fact; The ability and patience to unravel knotted up bundles of thread is considered a sign of great intelligence. I didn't know until a senior member of MENSA saw me un-picking a bundle of braid and told me.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Fact; The ability and patience to unravel knotted up bundles of thread is considered a sign of great intelligence. I didn't know until a senior member of MENSA saw me un-picking a bundle of braid and told me.

Says alot about me then!

C

chefster

Its not worth messing about with,just put on another duplicate rig!