River Closed Season Vote Result

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Yes-94

No-90

Undecided-4

So it's basically a 50/50 split, quite surprising I think. I thought the "No" vote would win hands down.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time out to place your votes.

This was a real vote by members of FM, not some sort of poll conducted outside of a shopping mall.

Now I have to go and get my gear ready for tomorrow and put the final bit of bait into the river from my pre-baiting campaign.

F

Fred Bonney

Well done Steve, status quo then, showing that most couldn't care a fig one way or the other.

Next close seasonwhen it starts up again, just re-issue it with the words to the effect.

Yeh,yeh, we've been there before, nobody cares!!!!

captain carrott

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Steve Spiller (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I thought the "No" vote would win hands down.</blockquote>

it would have in a proper fair vote.

how do you lot of closed season supporters reconcile fishing for spawning fish tomorrow, then or does the hypocrasy not strike you as rather crass.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
That's your opinion Fred and you are entitled to it.

As I've said before, I've not been given the chance to vote on it before neither have a lot of other anglers.

This was a true vote by anglers.

CC get of your high horse! If I was given the chance to vote on lifting the closed season on stillwaters and canals I would have voted no!

And like you keep saying, spawning fish don't feed!

And if you really think I fixed the vote counts you're talking out of your ar$e hole!

Go back and re-count it if it really means that much to you!

captain carrott

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>

Steve Spiller (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>And like you keep saying, spawning fish don't feed!
</blockquote>

so why do you insist on having a closed season for them then.

if they don't feed while spawning, then you don't need a closed season to stop them being caught while spawning.

or is it that they only don't feed while spawning outside the closed season.

or if they do feed while spawning why then do you fish for them when they are spawning NOW?

W

Wolfman Woody

And I DIDN'T vote.

I think we should have the research and information provided before being asked to vote. Ok, beause of asking a lot of questions in the past, I believe I have it or enough of it to make a decision. I didn't vote because I would bet that most of those 188 people just don't know enough to qualify their decision.

ENOUGH!

I caught two anglers today fishing from a boat on the Thames. "Oy, what you doing?" I said with a slight Polish accent. In plain a very clear English they said "Trying a bit of fly fishing for pike." and since I'd have no problems with that and the fact that they are not breaking any byelaws (so long as they answer in future that they're fishing for TROUT!)

Ah well, planning the barbeque for tomorrow night now. Not as many coming this year, which is a pity and my main helper, Stephen who used to be a chef at the hotel, can't be there either. So single handed I have to feed them.

Might put out a barbel rod and do a bit of spinning first and whatever I catch, throw it on the barby. Cheers everyone.

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
You go for it Jeff, I read that barbel taste like shit and at one time they used to think barbel could be fatal if eaten.

But fish contain lots of omega 3, very good for you, might even cheer you up a bit.

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Fred thats very negative, your sounding like you've been around the block once or twice to many times /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

W

Wolfman Woody

Old Izaak Walton says in his The Compleat Angler that barbel should NOT be eaten in the early spring. So, maybe we will give them a miss then.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

i caught a barbel on a tiny mepps whilst shad fishing a couple of weeks back....should i disembowel myself and barby what comes out as penance?/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif