Tackle Trade

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well i am sure you have read or heard of anglers having their tackle stolen.

The trade dont mind as they will end up selling new gear to the unlucky angler, and there are those shops that sell second hand tackle.

I am not saying these shops know the tackle is stolen, far from it.

To help out the manufacturer's could on reels, rod's, bivvies, etc mark the tackle with a registration number, this would also be on the guarantee certificate

So when selling your tackle, the guarantee matches the product number.

Shops selling second hand tackle should'nt pay for the tackle there and then. My local shop puts the tackle up for sale, when it is sold you get your money, the shop gets 5% cut. You wouldnt go back to a shop to collect your cash say a month later, and if its your gear then you know its not stolen.

It wont stop thefts, but it stops the outlet of stolen goods.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Excellent idea Ray.

The problem is the tackle trade will say that it will take more work keeping records etc so will have to put the prices up.

Still think its a good idea even if its on there quality gear as this would be a selling point.

slime monster

Reaction score
beware the distraction method of tackle theft,i nearly got caught out on the severn fishing down a steep bank with myrods at the top,a guy came down talking and i noticed his mate opening the bag....he was the lucky one as he managed to leg it the other went home with something to remind him crime does not pay.

dean?o

Reaction score
good on ya monster. i know many will disagree with that course of action but it`s about time these thieves realised our hard earned tackle is not easy pickings for them.

Ray, i think your idea is very good. and i think over time the tackle trade will cotton on to this fact. afterall, if they can sell traceable tackle then surely they would sell more tackle than some1 selling untraceable gear. we can only hope this sort of thing happens sooner or later. it may even be possible to put tiny chips into tackle like they do into motors these days so they can track this.

Reaction score
A great idea, i'm sure, and one that i would support given half the chance,

but the cost of doing this would be unaffordable especially in the age of the chinese imports and credit crunch. It would be ok for uk builders and custom builders to do this, and those that only make a small amount of rods (Daiwa would be a example) but for others leeda wychwood, drennan etc it would be uneconomical.

And presumably, a tackle dealer would have to fill in the warranty card as well, and then post it off. Well sorry to tell you but some tackle shops don't have the staff to do that, on sunday i sold 12 rods if i had to fill in a registry card each time, then that would of taken me and extra half hour easily and time costs money. And then think, how would you do it for mail order, order over internet phone etc, as most cards require a dealer to stamp and sign it after the customer has filled it in.

Ryan

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I dont think the tackle trade will need to do any paper work.

The idea being when you buy your tackle, ie rods, reels, etc, the manufactuers have a guarantee certificate with each of their products.

The number or code on the tackle is matched on the certificate. The shop you buy the tackle from stamps the certificate. If you later sell the tackle you have the certificate to prove it is yours, and when selling the certificate goes to the new owner,

There could be a section on the certificate that the owner fills out with his name etc, and so on, a bit like your car logbook.

Any angler would be happy to do this, and anglers buying second hand tackle would know it is not stolen.

Dont see how the trade could claim this will cost them anything, and it would be a way forward i think.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
It could be linked to a on-line database that the customer updates. Greys do this for there warranty already.

This would give the new owner a chance to check out who is the current owner and past owner and when it was bought and sold.

The Monk

Reaction score
I can remeber on one water I used to fish, the thieving bast**ds would come upto the bivvy quietly and say in a low voice, have you caught mate! hoping that the angler was asleep in the bivvy, but standing just outside of the anglers view, what we used to do was not answer and sit quietly inside the bivvy with a lump hammer poised for action/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Keith M

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul 'Pikey' Howarth wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Sounds like sterling idea but convincing companies to start doing something even as simple as stamping a number on tackle may prove difficult unless there is a direct financial advantagein it for them.</blockquote>
Surley there would be a 'direct financial advantage' as people would buy another makers rods if they had a number stamped on them.

The Monk

Reaction score
you can get thiose invisible markers for making tackle, the police usually give them out and they can only be seen under a UV light, you can put your name address phone number etc and get hand held UV lights to walk round the car boot sales with.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Thet are prone to waring of especially with temperture.

The local scroats use to put them in the fridge overnight to erase the markings. A couple of sessions pike fishing in winter would have the same effect and you would have to keep re applying.

A number could easily be stamped to the handle of a reel or the reel seat of a rod while they are being manufactured. It would be easy for the large manufactures to insist on this when ordering the parts if they are bought in.

The Monk

Reaction score
we use to varnish over the makers and it was on for good, the think with invisible markers is the scousers (oh sorry robbers), dont know where you have marked them and I dont think they could get a rod section in a fridge anyway?

R

Roto Fryer

i used to tell everybody that i had microchips inside my rods and that to ge them out you had to destroy the rods. all the scum soon started avoiding me /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I find the following method most useful

attach the bobbin to the bollocks of a large rottweiler with a clothes peg- should a theif try to make off with your rods in the night the dog will sort them out - also should you get a run on a rod the dog'd howl is a better indicator - even the slightest oick up of the bait get the dog to howl

Tinca Tinca

Reaction score
Smartwater is an invisible high tech marking fluid, about £40, each vial is unique and is registered on a database. No guarantees you will get your kit back but a vial will mark all your kit for the price of 4 kilos of boilies, makes sense really!