Soft hooker pellets-Value or Rip-off

C

chefster

If you go into you,re local tackle shop -its more like a sweet shop nowadays-with shelf after shelf of various flavours,colours and sizes of soft hooker pellets-The truth is that although top match anglers endorse all this,when you actually chat to most of them or read any articles they always use plain pumped expanders-so why are the shelves so full of ready prepared soft hookers????:confused::confused:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I really rate Sonubaits soft hookers. Probably just a confidence thing but, along with Mistral's Rosehip hookers, I always feel confident using them.

maverick 7

Reaction score
hi Chef.....I think soft hooker pellets are offered to anglers in a way that is similar to pre drilled pellets for example... they simply save you time on the bank....you don't have to bother with all the pumping air out of them etc... ....straight out of the tub and onto your hook.

I think the only complaint I would have about them if I used them regularly would be the price..... so from a cost point of view...yes, I think they are a rip off. However, I would imagine a lot of anglers like them because.... as I have already said they save them time on the bank....and there are also many flavours available.

Maverick

Last edited:

stillwater blue

Reaction score
The truth is that although top match anglers endorse all this,when you actually chat to most of them or read any articles they always use plain pumped expanders-so why are the shelves so full of ready prepared soft hookers????:confused::confused:

Match anglers are all lying;) It's a conspiracy, a pelletgate if you will. There's a certain flavour of pellet that all fish crave, it's impossible to blank on these pellets

The truth is out there

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Must admit, I've been tempted to try Sonubaits white chocolate ones, myself

I know they say some tackle catches more anglers than fish.......:)

flightliner

Reaction score
Take desired quantity of expander pellets for hook bait,place in dish, pour boiling water level with bait, add desired flavour.
DONE!££££££££s no---- pence yes.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Absolutely fair comment, Flight - but I really do rate the Sonubaits soft hookers and a couple of pots in the car make an unplanned quick couple of hours after work a real possibility.

All down to confidence, I guess. :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Take desired quantity of expander pellets for hook bait,place in dish, pour boiling water level with bait, add desired flavour.
DONE!££££££££s no---- pence yes.

Always used to do them like that flight until some years ago and then bag 'em up and stick them in the 'fridge overnight. Only downside was the stink if you couldn't do them outside due to the weather. I now prefer to pump them on the bank with 10% of one of a couple of boilie additives to the water that seem to work very well.
Jerry
PS In answer to the question - I prefer to pump my own but do use a couple of the readies brands from time to time. IMO not a rip-off if they continually catch more than others on the bank.

C

chefster

Basically a soft hooker pellet is just a pumped expander,with a bit of something to preserve it..OK Its got flavouring and colouring but they,re not as soft and are more rubbery...Pumping expanders is a 2 minute job-you can add you,re own flavours and colours....;)

flightliner

Reaction score
Only downside was the stink

BBB. agree about the pong but as soon as mine were done they went straight into the garage for the night (to mingle with my other bits of odourous gear-- usually ending up smelling of a tarts knickers!) to absorb liquid and flavour/preservative--

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Noooooo, not at all - just thought it might raise a smile.

Seriously, I love messing about experimenting with pellets too but, as I've said, I have to be honest and admit to be impressed with the Sonubaits softies and, especially, Mistral's rosehips - they're absolutely top drawer for big roach.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some of the prepared soft-hookers in tubs will withstand casting on a waggler. Ones that you soak and make yourself rarely will, being better suited to the less rigorous method of pole-fishing!

C

chefster

Some of the prepared soft-hookers in tubs will withstand casting on a waggler. Ones that you soak and make yourself rarely will, being better suited to the less rigorous method of pole-fishing!

I use banded pellet on the waggler......