Bought a box... Smells horrific.

dixi1801

Reaction score
Hello all :)

Not been on here in a while, and need help with this problem!

As the title says, bought a Preston On Box, and it stinks!

The lad I bought it from left a little bait in it whilst its been sat in the shed not being used.

What's the best way to get rid of the smell? It's had some bleach and water in there and now it's outside... Still proper stinking lol.

Thanks in advanced chaps :)

C

chefster

Hello all :)

Not been on here in a while, and need help with this problem!

As the title says, bought a Preston On Box, and it stinks!

The lad I bought it from left a little bait in it whilst its been sat in the shed not being used.

What's the best way to get rid of the smell? It's had some bleach and water in there and now it's outside... Still proper stinking lol.

Thanks in advanced chaps :)
Cut an onion in half and put in there and close,leave overnight and the smell should be gone!It works on fridges and No it does,nt smell of onion after...

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Cut an onion in half and put in there and close,leave overnight and the smell should be gone!It works on fridges and No it does,nt smell of onion after...

Heard the same thing but a lemon rather than an onion. The lemon does work too

dixi1801

Reaction score
It should do,;) give it a go!!

Think I will! Just have to remember to take the slices out... Or I'm back to square one!

For £20, think I got a bargain. Could have had anything rotting in it and I don't think I would have complained for the price :p

C

chefster

Think I will! Just have to remember to take the slices out... Or I'm back to square one!

For £20, think I got a bargain. Could have had anything rotting in it and I don't think I would have complained for the price :p

For £20 mate i would,nt of minded if it was covered in dog ****!!!!!:D:D:D:DBargain

barbelboi

Reaction score
That's a relief, saw the title and thought maybe you collected cricket memorabilia;).
Jerry

dixi1801

Reaction score
I'd not even thought about that, and I'm thankful I don't like cricket that much to own a box of that variety!

And had to use an onion... No lemons! Cut half into bits and put one bit in each of the 4 drawers!

Noticed one of the hinges on the seat was a bit loose on the rivets, but I couldn't care less! Those rivet type things the sections slide on to are annoying though, may have to get some nuts and bolts to replace them!

dixi1801

Reaction score
Got some pics! And some questions if anyone would be kind enough to help :)

esuga9y2.jpg

Here she is, not cleaned properly yet! I have just wiped the seat down after taking the picture lol!

emy9aqe8.jpg

The catches are a little rusty... Should I just leave em or try and get the rust off?

u8ure5yv.jpg

And this is where the seat bit attaches at the top. The hinge is bent as you can see, I think the rivets have come loose a little. I was considering tempting it back with a hammer but decided against it for the good of the box lol. Can anyone suggest a fix? Or should I just leave it as is?

So £20 for this, and I still have room for more stuff in it even after filling with all my bag of stuff!

Cheers :)

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lemon is great for getting rid of smells, I use it on my hands after I've been pellet fishing, it works a treat.

Clean the chrome with a brillo pad, you wont get them perfect because they look a little pitted but you will see a huge improvement. If you are really fussy you can get replacements for those catches and if you have access to a pop rivet gun they are simple to replace but tbh I wouldn't bother.

If it was mine I would have that hinge off, straighten it up in a vice with a hammer and then pop rivet it back on. If the rivets are already loose its going to to damage the fibreglass over time and only get worse if you leave it. DO NOT try to bend it back in situ, you will cause more damage.

When you have finished cleaning it give the whole thing a good going over with car polish paying particular attention to places where things are riveted on and a rub of candle wax on wooden draw runners works wonders.

dixi1801

Reaction score
Lemon is great for getting rid of smells, I use it on my hands after I've been pellet fishing, it works a treat.

Clean the chrome with a brillo pad, you wont get them perfect because they look a little pitted but you will see a huge improvement. If you are really fussy you can get replacements for those catches and if you have access to a pop rivet gun they are simple to replace but tbh I wouldn't bother.

If it was mine I would have that hinge off, straighten it up in a vice with a hammer and then pop rivet it back on. If the rivets are already loose its going to to damage the fibreglass over time and only get worse if you leave it. DO NOT try to bend it back in situ, you will cause more damage.

When you have finished cleaning it give the whole thing a good going over with car polish paying particular attention to places where things are riveted on and a rub of candle wax on wooden draw runners works wonders.

Thanks very much!

I'll see if I can get hold of a pop rivet gun and sort it!

Will post results once done, cheers!

terry m

Reaction score
I remember the 'communal' cricket boxes at school.

Shocking, they could almost crawl bag into the kit bag on their own!