bogey fishing method?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Lure fishing. I've had plenty of follows (including a whacker that launched itself up the bank at my feet as the lure was lifted out of the water:() over the years but don't recall ever catching anything. That's partly down to the waters I've previously had access to. Now I have access to a water where I suspect that lures may be effective. Sadly, the big perch that were commonplace a couple of years ago seem to have vanished and the resident pikers frown upon summer piking. Whilst I've all but given up on lure fishing, I do still retain a hankering to catch on a surface lure. I recently dug out the Rapala Skitter Prop lure that I'd like to do it with too.:)

nicepix

Reaction score
Czech nymphing! I know that it is a brilliant technique for some. But not for me. I hate it and if I don't get a fish after about five minutes I resort to normal fly-casting methods. Even if I' not catching I can enjoy the casting.

dixi1801

Reaction score
Anyone have a bogey method? You know, the one you try and try but can't seem to get right?

Feeder. I cannot for the life of me manage to ignore the knocks and wait for an actual take :( I'm determined that next time, I'll put on the free spool and hope that the banjo feeder manages to make the fish hook itself!

dangermouse

Reaction score
Feeder. I cannot for the life of me manage to ignore the knocks and wait for an actual take :( I'm determined that next time, I'll put on the free spool and hope that the banjo feeder manages to make the fish hook itself!

Try the method feeder Josh and just sit on your hands until the rod tip rips round.

dixi1801

Reaction score
Try the method feeder Josh and just sit on your hands until the rod tip rips round.

I'll grab some when I can! And I think I'll have to Neil! The slightest twitch and I'm striking then cursing lol!

A mate told me to try the free spool thing, he does it and he's always catching lol!

dangermouse

Reaction score
I'll grab some when I can! And I think I'll have to Neil! The slightest twitch and I'm striking then cursing lol!

A mate told me to try the free spool thing, he does it and he's always catching lol!

Yeah I`ve had one that way. Flicked the reel onto freespool because I was tackling up another rod and just as I`m sliding a float into place the reel starts screaming.

Premature striking, the curse of many an angler. :D

dixi1801

Reaction score
Yeah I`ve had one that way. Flicked the reel onto freespool because I was tackling up another rod and just as I`m sliding a float into place the reel starts screaming.

Premature striking, the curse of many an angler. :D

Deffo my downfall lol! I've really been enjoying fishing the pole recently, but I'd love to catch on my feeder!

Keith M

Reaction score
Fishing an artificial lure for pike. I've had a tackle box full of them for years and although I have had the odd pike follow my lure I just can't get one to take one of these artificial lures.

I have had a few Pike on sink & draw using a dead roach and I've caught quite a few Perch on tiny mepps spinners and tiny 1.5 inch plugs, I've even caught a Bream on a tiny lure, but I just can't seem to catch a pike on an artificial lure.

Keith

Last edited:
C

chefster

Fishing deep venues,really does my head in,the fish always seem to be at all different depths and up and down all the time,no matter how i seem to feed!!:confused: Also struggled with my pole/pellet fishing this winter,where as i did,nt last year!! weird??:mad::mad:

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score

Another idea is to hold the line either hooked over one or two fingers or pinched between thumb and index finger; you will feel the bites and get a better understanding of what's going on under water. Pretty much the same as freelining.

dixi1801

Reaction score
Another idea is to hold the line either hooked over one or two fingers or pinched between thumb and index finger; you will feel the bites and get a better understanding of what's going on under water. Pretty much the same as freelining.

I'd not considered that! When I'm a little more confident I might have to try it :D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score

Dixi, in your first sentence you say you can't wait for an actual take?
In your second sentence you say you hope the fish hooks itself?
You don't say what kind of rod you are using but presumably it's a tip rod, if you are using a Banjo feeder (which is a method feeder) Don't strike at all.
Sit on your hands and the fish will indeed hook itself. This will differ from knocks and taps to a rip round on your tip. Just lift into it gently and the fish should be on....

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Spinning...or fishing a lure. I've never really understood what I'm trying to do or why. I did flirt with this for a bit but results were so poor I very quickly gave up. No great loss because its not really my "thing" at all.

dixi1801

Reaction score
Dixi, in your first sentence you say you can't wait for an actual take?
In your second sentence you say you hope the fish hooks itself?
You don't say what kind of rod you are using but presumably it's a tip rod, if you are using a Banjo feeder (which is a method feeder) Don't strike at all.
Sit on your hands and the fish will indeed hook itself. This will differ from knocks and taps to a rip round on your tip. Just lift into it gently and the fish should be on....

I feel like a div lol. Soon as I see a knocking, I'm striking!

And yes, it's a tip rod! I don't need to strike with a banjo feeder?

Thanks for the advice Peter, much appreciated :)

cg74

Reaction score
The bagging waggler.
Everytime I've fished it, I've struggled to catch, yet a switch to another technique in the same swim has resulted in fish being caught.