River season starts

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well it's the start of the river season today, and many have been waiting to wet a line.

For many the start does not always turn out to be the day you wanted.

So if you got out today, how did you get on?.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Ihad a quick cast at lunchtime into the local stretch of the Anker, wasnt after anything in particular I just did it because I could. Second run through with a small piece of flake under one of my favourite Topper floats and a small chublet obliged. Then it was a quick pack rod down and back to school before the bell went.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I caught 4 early chub to around 4lbs and missed a 3ft twitch barbel bite when a weed cutter came down the river and cocked the whole stretch up./forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

Why do they wait until the 16th of June to do this? I think the person who decides when it's cut is either an anti angler or a frustrated one who can't get the day off so spoils it for everyone else./forum/smilies/baring_teeth_smiley.gif

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Went last night for 3 hours had one good chub knock at 12.30 then nothing on either rod. Problem was the amount of weed floating down. I was lucky if i could keep bait in for 10 min.

Was good to be on the bank again watching a couple of Barn owls working the field on the opposite bank. The bats were from the local horror film flying within a foot of your head.

Bliss

Dont think i will be back on the ribble till we get some rain as she is very low.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Been on the Trent lure fishing,managed to catch five fish of which three were double figures,best 15lb 12oz.All fish fought like stink.

I got home about two hours ago,happy but knackered.

Happy to see a kingfisher at close quarters too.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Agree spiders. Its why i love fishing the out of the way stretches of the river.

Shame some of the stretches had people fishing from when i arrived with the fire burning and beer cans littering the peg

steve B

Reaction score
Barn Owl's pretty commen in my area Spiders, can see them near most of the rivers i fish.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Took "advantage" of the one-night-only midnight start on Throop. Had one chub and one bream but several good chub and barbel came out from elsewhere. Plenty of bats down there as well! Their radar is not too good, they give tremendous knocks on the quiver!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Nothing, zilch, didley squat!

The water was frothing, the carp were spawning like there was notomorrow!

Hahaha only kidding CC /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Lost a carp at 6.30am, the snotties and chub tried to hang themselves all day long on my double 20m/m boilies, but they failed miserably, mission accomplished!

Wish I'd put a single boilie on to save the blank now /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Great to be back on the rivers though.

Rog Hill

Reaction score
Spent the day on the Hampshire Avon at Ibsley. The river looked great and it was nice to see some old faces. As to fish, decent fish that is, couple ofchub and a plague of small rainbow trout which had escaped from a fishery upstream.

How was Throop last night Neil,was it busy?

Roger

C

Chris Bishop

Had an afternoon's lure fishing and caught sod-all, lots of people out inc a few familiar faces.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Rog,

I hope you removed the rainbows - it's the poxy fish farms dumping ungraded trout - apparently legally! Throop is always far too busy opening day and it will be the same next weekend yet it doesn't start to fish well until next month when the fish are in better shape.

I had a dabble on oneof the local rivers for a scrawny roach then switched to get three mega hard scrapping drain tench (it also opens 16th June) of no great size.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The bats were rattling my barbel rods also. ou can always tell them as the tip goes sideways instead of down. It does not even give a bleep on the alarms.

C

Cakey

I walked Buddy for about three miles of the Lea/Lee all around Broxbourne Mill ,the Conkers etc not one fisherman..........how strange I thought

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

went for a couple of hours on me private bit and had a 4lb 3oz chub on free line bread , then headed to the lea for 2 hours and had a mixed bag of around 25 roach and dace . Nice first sesion for me.

C

Cakey

I didnt fish Bryan ......had to go to work/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif