Artificial sea baits

chav professor

Reaction score
Just out of interest, has anyone used or come across an artificial bait they would be happy to recommend for sea fishing.

Artificial really do seem to work abroad, but in the UK there is a lot of skepticism.

If there was an effective artificial sea bait available with a track record of being effective, would you use it?

aebitim

Reaction score
Yes, for many years I have used artificials, plugs, soft plastics and spinners for sea fishing. As with all things it depends where and what you are fishing for. If I was limited to one type of lure it would be soft plastics, though plugs can be deadly as can the humble dexter wedge or daiwa sandeel spinners.

chav professor

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply...

My post was poorly worded.. I was wondering if anyone had considered using something artificial as a hook bait.

For example, if fresh lug/rag/peelers were hard to get hold of. Of course, always have a few boxes of squid to bulk up in case of bait shortage or just tipping off.

Probably the least appetizing product I have come across is a preserved rag worm... expensive and vile looking.

Has anyone got a product they would be happy to recommend?

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Artificial bread flake would probably work for Mullet.

Not sure about artificial worms though. If they were fished as a spinning bait they would maybe work though.

I think the same principles apply to Predator Fishing in Fresh Waters too.

Last edited:

mick b

Reaction score
I've used Senko stick baits fished 6ft under a sliding float around rocks on the ebb, just holding back, you can feel the Bass and Bream grip them quite easily with braided line even tho the float doesn't move.

In one 21.00 - 02.00 session I had well over 80 all a kg + apiece, all but 4 were returned.
Never caught a biggie on this method, best around 3kg or so, it can be deadly if there is a bit of moon showing.
Not in the UK I must add!

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All artificial or preserved baits are junk! Preserved rag drives fish away and the soft baits, that look like real bait and are impregnated with bait flavour, like Berkeley Gulp are just an expensive joke.

Frozen baits are all fine and, even if there are no tackle/bait shops near you, some suppliers ship frozen bait via courier.

Fresh mackerel from the fish counter of any big supermarket is superior to any artificial or preserved bait. Frozen prawns, cooked or raw are also easily obtainable.

chav professor

Reaction score
All artificial or preserved baits are junk! Preserved rag drives fish away and the soft baits, that look like real bait and are impregnated with bait flavour, like Berkeley Gulp are just an expensive joke.

Frozen baits are all fine and, even if there are no tackle/bait shops near you, some suppliers ship frozen bait via courier.

Fresh mackerel from the fish counter of any big supermarket is superior to any artificial or preserved bait. Frozen prawns, cooked or raw are also easily obtainable.

See, thats were I stand on artificial... Funny thing is, I was chatting with shop manager at Breakaway and he has fished in some pretty interesting countries. Abroad, artificial bait seems to be really effective, but in the UK doesn't seem to catch. He mentions a chewing gum type bait that he thought was put on the hook as a joke - but he had a run straight from the off.

I used to sea fish obsessively, entered matches - have three bait fridges and a freezer to manage freshbait/turn crabs etc... but as an investment of time - I spent as much time either digging/collecting/managing as i did fishing.... But it was worth it - you had a steady supply of the best bait you could hope to source. Of course it was worth it.

Family pressures and having a job kind of knocked it on the head.... A 60 mile trip to dig whites on a 2am low spring tide (if the wind was in the right direction) - then rushing back for work in the morning:eek:mg:

The Mrs used to get a bit edgy :)D) around this time of year - the crabs got far more attention.

I don't resent paying shop price for bait - I appreciate the time and effort that goes into it... but it is expensive.

A good artificial/synthetic option would be a great back-up....

mick b

Reaction score
Hi Chav,
I know its a bit wide of the subject but I was thinking over the winter that Halibut Pellets might work in the sea.....:confused:

I've got quite a few oldish ones knocking around and rather than dump them they just might work in the briney.

(could this be a lightbulb moment I ask?)

chav professor

Reaction score
Hi Chav,
I know its a bit wide of the subject but I was thinking over the winter that Halibut Pellets might work in the sea.....:confused:

I've got quite a few oldish ones knocking around and rather than dump them they just might work in the briney.

(could this be a lightbulb moment I ask?)

Could do......

I have a little project on the go at the momrent;)

I'll keep you informed.....

aebitim

Reaction score
Tried halibut pellets but no result, also made boilies and pastes, tried sweetcorn for mullet as it works abroad still no luck. Maggots work ok for mullet and small wrasse.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
See, thats were I stand on artificial... Funny thing is, I was chatting with shop manager at Breakaway and he has fished in some pretty interesting countries. Abroad, artificial bait seems to be really effective, but in the UK doesn't seem to catch. He mentions a chewing gum type bait that he thought was put on the hook as a joke - but he had a run straight from the off.

I used to sea fish obsessively, entered matches - have three bait fridges and a freezer to manage freshbait/turn crabs etc... but as an investment of time - I spent as much time either digging/collecting/managing as i did fishing.... But it was worth it - you had a steady supply of the best bait you could hope to source. Of course it was worth it.

Family pressures and having a job kind of knocked it on the head.... A 60 mile trip to dig whites on a 2am low spring tide (if the wind was in the right direction) - then rushing back for work in the morning:eek:mg:

The Mrs used to get a bit edgy :)D) around this time of year - the crabs got far more attention.

I don't resent paying shop price for bait - I appreciate the time and effort that goes into it... but it is expensive.

A good artificial/synthetic option would be a great back-up....

Before I got a bait fridge I used to keep peelers in a big, plastic, Curver box on the garage floor with wet newspaper over them. When I wanted them for a trip, it was a drink of Mersey water and pop they went. One summer it was a bit warmish and the little bleeders must have got together, like those crabs in the rock pool in The Perishers strip, and all climbed on each other's backs and out into the big wide world. The screams when she went out to the tumble dryer were blood-curdling! They had managed to back into every orifice and crack in the walls and floor and stuck out their claws. Good job they weren't velvet swimmers or I'd have had to move house!