Fishing Ban in Bewdley

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It does look like the ban is not going to happen. Perhaps it never was and the misguided swan woman, with no concern for anyone or anything other than swans,jumped the gun.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I'm not really sure how a ban in Bewdley could protect swans in Worcester anyhow.

If, and only if, there was a genuine problem (which I don't believe there is) what about all the people fishing between Bewdley town centre and Worcester?

There's over 5 miles of river between the two.

Some people don't have the common sense they were born with.

Barbelian

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies but the battle is far from over.

The e-mail from the councillor on the total-fishing.com forum states just his own opinion not that of the whole council. I have received the same email and others showing total support for us Anglers. It's true that WFDC licence some of the water in question but it is believed that Bewdley Town Council control some of the water as well.

Meetingshave held between the Swan sanctuary, the Town Council and the District Council and various members are looking into the possibility of a ban. According to one councillors' minutes: 'The wildlife Conservation officer would try to get the WFDC to agree to a restricted area, or at least a responsible fishing area policed by the responsible club and at risk of losing the club licence if they refused to comply.'

So you see the ban is still a possibility. Where do we draw the battle lines or should we just let them carry on? As i said earlier, even if it doesn't affect your fishing now it may do in the future. Please help if you can.

Cheers Ian.

Barbelian

Reaction score
Hello again,

The details of the rally being held on Sunday June 22nd are as follows:

11am at the old bandstand/civic space immediately downstream of Bewdley town bridge.

The protest will be stewarded and all participants are asked to behave in a responsible and considerate way and to avoid any behaviour which may be construed as an attempt to block the public highway or disprupt the normal business of the town. Anglers are requested to bring along their husbands/wives/partners and family so we can show the place angling and anglers play in our community.

The organisers are looking into the feasibility of a continuation meeting from lunchtime at an indoor venue with speakers and an opportunity to plan the next steps in the campaign and establish a structure to take us forward. Details of this will appear asap.

Please try and make it if you can. If you can't make it please spread the word to get those emails going in, thank you.

Cheers Ian.

K

Keith Williams

It is a issue that is based on Myth. innuendo and well contrived lies as many have discovered in trying to contact and obtain info from the said swan sanctuary

Jan Harrigan has a website thats worth a read and the guest book is something to be visited by all concerned at the link of

http://www.wychboldswanrescue.co.uk/index.htm

I hope that anglers can get together and challenge the Bewdley Council in the most appropriate manner at the next event of local goverment elections and to that end any anglers whos resident in the area should keep an eye on council chamber discussions and see which councillors vote for the intended motion.

The NFA will be contacting the Council over the next few days however I think that the council is overstating in powers and could be challenged by thelocal government Ombudsman or even further in a Judicial review.

That would certainly stop them dead in their intended tracks once councillors knew their little Empire was being thoroughly challenged

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I heard about this a while ago and like all anglers I was astounded that these swan/bird fanatics can still get away with blaming anglers for lead poisoning as the cause. What is even worse is that local council members are swayed by this and even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary still persist in taking the 'protectionists' side. To this day the same scenario is being played out in Stratford on Avon but in this case the major cause of deaths is oil pollution from boats which they choose to ignore because they make money from the owners.

This and any other cases should be brought to the notice of our representative in parliament who <u>might</u> then take some action to protect tradional and prime stretches of our riverson behalf of the anglers.We unwisely conceded to the RSPB and the like in the first place by banning lead weights instead of fighting our corner but I guess that is us anglers all over.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I'm all for backing the stance against the exploits of this women......i just wish people like Barbelian would use their real names......yes it matters!

Barbelian

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the support, although i do think the content is far more important than the use of nicknames. For your info' when i joined the sight it requested me to choose a nickname which i did, can't see anything wrong in that and my real name is in my profile if you would like to check it out.

Instead of knocking me, why don't you get involved. You being a 'Brummie', i would've thought the problem would be a bit closer to home for you than it is for me. Instead of knocking me, why don't you get involved? Have you?....yes it does matter!

Cheers Ian Phillips

AKA Barbelian, esox, slash, CovKid and Heathers' Dad.

P.S. Edited to apologise to Paul as i hadn't checked the box to show my real name on my profile, silly me.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Barbelian......i have strong beliefs that anyone with a serious issue to put forward should use their own names.......i wouldn't like anyone trying to raise support against angling using a "name"..........hence i honestly believe we should useour real nameswhen we ask for support.....so i wasn't knocking you, just voicing an opinion!

As for nicknames on the site, thats different Ian.

Oh, and i ain't a Brummie!

Paul, AKA Brummie (to friends) rabbit, ghost,and Ginges, Jodes, Robs and Thoms Dad.........heaven help me!!!!!!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"hence i honestly believe we should use our real names when we ask for support....."

Moreover, it would also be most informative if people completed their details, full stop.

It is important, especially with some of these comments with a 'political smell' to know which organisations some of the 'champions' are either members of, or indeed officers of?

John Heelis

Reaction score
The anglers of Bewdley have my support.

I believe that there may be an investigation into the swan ladies allegation of lead poisoning caused by anglers.The investigation would require her to submit toxicolgy reports, proof that said swans came from Bewdley along with details of incineration.

It can be argued that lead shot could still be present in the river bed, although this is unlikey to have resulted in the swan deaths due to lead shot being outlawed around about 21years ago. There may be a presence of heavy metals caused by industrial polution but this also should be investigated.

In my opinion the swans deaths are more probably a result of feeding on shot (or stray shot)from gun owners. I admit that i don't know if lead is still used in gun cartridges, so i apologise if i appear to be blaming the shooting community. Until a full invetsigation is undertaken and facts presented it would be wrong to place blame upon anyone. Unitl then fishing at Bewdley should remain unaffected

Remember that to non-angling folk we are evil evil people, who drag fish out of the water by their mouths dangle them around in the air, throw them in a cramped net and then chuck them back in if we are not going to eat them. We could be next on the anti country sports list......

Swans are horrible creatures if they get near you, my dog is scared s**tless by them after one tried to bite her. I seem to remember reading that a fully grown swan is capable of breaking a childs arm.

Has Prince Phillip been to Bewdley on the sligh, didn't he go to a park in london late one night and start shooting swans once?

C

Cakey

the problem is the swans ,I dont want to see 300 a year die at Bewdley.....so as Keith Arthur said this morning lets see the proof ..................

R

Robert Woods

I've got to hold my hand up as contriduted to Bewdley swan deths...fed them chips last year. There are loads of them feeding on fish & chips. Must have an effect on them.

Barbelian

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Paul - Yes, sorry mate, you have made a very valid point and i should have made sure i was totally visible. Apologies.

I'm just trying to rally support for something which i think could affect us all.i'm passionate and when i get me teeth into something i run with it and don't let go....hence the nickname esox (originally my poker nickname).

Peter - No political status whatsoever. Just an ordinary Angler who fishes for Barbel in that area and has used the free fishing at times. I too have fed chips to the Swans. I belong to no organisations apart from being an ACA member for numerous years. I have been a member on BFW for many years and when this situation was posted on our boards i thought i would get involved and see what i could do to help. I have the internet obviously and i am using it in the way it was intended - for information. I haven't filled in a full profile as i am a bit busy e-mailing and trying to rally some troops but just for you i will spend some time getting my facts filled in for you to look at. You will see i really am a nobody. If more nobodys like me send in their opinions it may just help. Have you contacted anyone yet? If not please do so as i have provided contact details....look above.

All - We need all of your help. Please get in contact with the parties concerned, let them know your thoughts.

Many thanks to all.

Cheers Ian Phillips.

P.S. Do i really smell?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ian,

My comments were not directed at you personally, but to another on this thread who seems to mainly contribute to 'angling politics' threads but keeps all of his details 'private' the combination of these factors gives some input the political smell.

As to the topic, I have already sent an e-mail to the Council concerned outlining the full history of the abolishment of lead shot.

Regards,

PGJ

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Ian.....no apologises needed mate, things can sound a bit harsh when put into written word....i didn't mean it too.

Do you really smell?..........not as much as me at the moment, just got back in from an overnighter on the Avon!/forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gif