Bailiffing our Fisheries - The Battle Ahead

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
No angler in their right mind would argue that this is not a very good first step.

That said, my personal view is that it is doomed to faliure until and unless the Police, the Magistrates and the CPS conjoin to ensure that full and proper punishments are meted out to those caught breaking the law.

The typical slap-on-the-wrist fine that we see in the Courts are puny to the point of being laughable; moreover these small fines (in comparison with the maximum fine prescribed by law) are nothing like sufficient to preclude re-offending.

It would be a travesty to see this laudible yet embryonic scheme fail due to the lack of 'will' on behalf of the authorities to suitably punish those caught.

I truly hope I am wrong, but experience does seem to support my argument.

Bluenose

Reaction score
It's a great idea and a scheme which I hope goes from strength to strength. I think the strength maybe in it's potential as a deterrent Pete, as opposed to the punishments meted out, which as we know, whether you are a poacher or polluter are generally quite puny.

Last edited:

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
if it's down to voluteers who will they take on when an angler is fishing illegally - the bloke on his own maybe but a a group of blokes - doubt it

From information received I believe they will not be taking anyone on. Their remit will be to pass on information regarding anyone fishing illegally to the EA.

It remains the jurisdiction of the EA to pursue things further. So the status quo remains we are still depending on the EA.

The quote below is from the horses mouth,

"Prosecutions, at this stage, are down to the EA and Crown Prosecution Service. However, once our volunteers receive warrants we will be able to take our own direct action to effect prosecutions - but that remains a little way off. At this stage the EA is very clear that it simply wants the VBS to submit intelligence - hopefully during CLAMP DOWN some of that information will lead to the detection and prosecution of offences."

Unquote

Kind regards
Ray

zander17

Reaction score
Law enforcement, whether fisheries or policing, is driven by intelligence. The EA decided that in Phase One Volunteer Bailiffs will work in teams, supervised by an EA Fisheries Enforcement Officer, and be 'eyes and ears' in a Neighbourhood Watch sense, submitting intelligence and reporting incidents. You are right - any angler could (and should) do this: 0800 80 70 60. The importance of intelligence gathering cannot, however, be over-emphasised. It also provides us an opportunity to identify suitable individuals to take to Phase Two: further training in angling law, conflict resolution, personal protection and process, to be partially warranted - providing the power to demand and inspect rod-licences and deal with certain bye law offences. At that stage VBs will be line-managed by EA Fishery Enforcement Team Leaders. The final stage sees some of those volunteers given full training and warrants to directly work alongside and with EA FEOs. This has not arisen out of any criticism of the EA but a desire to help - and is actually entirely funded by the EA with which I work absolutely hand in glove. Rome wasn't built in a day but this is the start of a meaningful auxiliary service to support the EA FEOs in the same way that the special constabulary supports the police service - but, we have to get this absolutely right, because law enforcement is a very serious business. Of course we are aware that whatever is done, there are those who will pick holes and moan and whinge - without actually getting off their backsides and doing something constructive to help. This cannot be said of these volunteers - who will, in time, change the face of fishery enforcement in England. Signed: The Horses Mouth!

---------- Post added at 09:15 ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 ----------

And, whilst I'm on here, you are right regarding the police, CPS and courts needing to be brought aboard - that is happening. The police now takes poaching and fish theft seriously, due in no small part to the Poaching Priority Group, hosted by BACS and in which board I sit, together with various other organisations including the National Police Wildlife Crime Unit. The Met has led the way with Project Ghillie - where the Met leads other forces follow. We are, in fact, working closely now with the police and there is an infinitely better understanding of our problems already. Likewise efforts are ongoing to educate the CPS and courts - but these things take time. What needs to be understood, however, is that a massive amount of effort is being put in to changing things by a number of individuals and organisations. Whilst we get on with this, what might help is anglers actually reporting incidents to the EA on 0800 80 70 60 - instead of complaining amongst ourselves. And if the service forthcoming doesn't meet expectations - complain! It's the only way to get things done. Simple.

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Thanks for that,

I for one am not picking holes in "Operation Clamp Down" and yes things take time. Hopefully you will get it right and the number of incidents involving fish theft, poaching and license dodging will be reduce and hopefully eradicated.

In the meantime I will continue to do what I have always done and that is to report any of the above I see to the EA and to the Police.

You state in you first post that if we are not happy with the way the EA deal with incidents of the above nature we should complain. Can you tell us just who we should complain to regarding the EA not acting on information passed to them that relates to poaching, fish theft and license dodging?

Kind regards
Ray

zander17

Reaction score
What I would do is write to my local EA HQ. That said, we must remember that the EA is not an emergency service, and therefore works in a different way to the police - which can and does respond swiftly to priority incidents. This is why reporting intelligence is vital - this builds up a picture of problems in specific areas, leading to the deployment of resources to resolve. Like the police, the manpower largely just isn't there for general patrolling - patrols are targeted. If we don't tell the EA where problems exist, then we can't complain should we not see a presence. That, though, is where we hope the VBS will help. After 20 April we'll have 40 Volunteer Bailiffs in the South East, divided into four Angling Watches and working closely with EA FEOs. We've already enough applications to extend that figure to the 48 required. The next job is to hold meetings with other EA regions and persuade them to take on the VBS - which is funded by the EA at national and each regional level. These meetings are forthcoming. We may not get into every other region immediately, but I am confident that most will co-operate. My database is bulging with expressions of interest ready for when we recruit outside EA SE, so all I need is the green light. This extra manpower will, we firmly believe, make a big difference and provide much-needed extra patrols. There is, of course, a strict selection and intensive training process - mavericks, vigilantes and 'have a go heroes' need not apply. This is a very serious effort to create an equally serious auxiliary service. In Holland, fishery enforcement is delivered by a similar volunteer force - and I'm out there next month to learn more of this with a view to applying their experience here.