Local tackle shop match the price

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

I was recently looking to buy the Preston C tech 12ft feeder rod , out of interest I looked on Climax website
They didn't have the C tech in just the C series (the older model)
http://www.climaxtackle.com/preston1/carbon_active_c_series_rods.htm
the price is £130 reduced to £118 for the C series, I rang to ask about the C tech and was told they didn't stock the C Tech but had the 12ft C series feeder for £135!!
I didn't point out the price on line was £118 just thanked them and rang off.
I called into my local tackle shop (I was always intending to buy there if they could supply me) they had the 11ft C tech feeder but not the 12ft feeder. But after a quick chat they ordered me the 12 ft (it came about a week later) and said they would match Billy Clarke and Climax for the price "Not bloody likely Climax" I told them and explained to them the situation.

just shows what a rip off some shops can be

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sounds like a member of staff that doesn't know what's going on. However, Climax has always been quite expensive for current kit. It's only discontinued gear that they do some excellent prices on. Similar can be said for many of the big mail order places such as Bobco or Eric's.

To suggest that everything in Climax is a "rip off" just isn't true. However, the assumption that everything in there is a bargain is way off the mark.
As with any buying experience, caveat emptor applies.