Monster New Zealand Brown Trout Landed

mick b

Reaction score
I've actually stopped and looked at the very place this fish was caught from.
Long and straight concrete canal that carries the melt water off the Southern Alps with Salmon farms every so often along its length, totally desolate place and nothing but bunnies for company.

My cousin is a DOC Ranger and took me trouting to a big lake up in the mountains and we drove right down the road that runs beside this canal.
This was in '97 and he told me that some English guys had been catching some huge brownies from beneath the salmon pounds (nets) even then.

NZ, especially the South Island is truly 'Gods own Country'.
The locals have really got their priorities right, the last day of the Duck shooting season ending at 19.00, and the Salmon season starting at 07.00 the following day, with the times reversed at the end of the Salmon season.
PLUS no women allowed in their bars :D

For those who like a bit of rabbit shooting the Easter Bunny Bash knocked off 22,000 when I was there, and DOC Rangers were keeping the Canada goose population in check by aerial shooting.......from a helicopter, shooting downwards!!!
To control the Possums they air drop poison baited carrots...........by the square mile!!

Don't yah jus luv it...............