megoo

sagalout

Reaction score
Having vowed several times to never buy another addative I failed once again and started playing around with making me own version of a goo type substance. The syrup based one described by Michael Kirby on this thread http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/carp-fishing/299643-goo-who-bought-some.html didn't work for me and got me wondering if it was the cold uk water congealing the syrup.

So I have now made megoo using glycerine as the base. Glycerine is vegetable "syrup" that is highly soluble in water and dirt cheap, I paid £3.14 + £2.75 p&p for a litre of food grade on ebay.

I added 3ml of scopex boilie flavouring and half a teaspoon of powdwer boilie dye to 200ml of glycerine. When the feeder hits the water there is an immediate visible cloud at the surface and hopefully all the way down. Testing in a bucket the bucket of water is completely clouded by the megoo.

The cost of the ingredients to make a litre of megoo has been approximately £11.00 which is a bit cheaper than the £105/lt that korda charge for their goo.

PS It hasn't made any discernable difference to my catch rate, I can still blank in a cold easterly wind.

benny samways

Reaction score
I did a similar thing meself Sagalout, loads of uses for it and lots of different options you can employ.

50% glycerine and 50% anything else you care to use, makes a great dip or bait coating.

I used it to mix some groundbait with and was amazed at how it prolonged the life of the groundbait. I dont know if your familiar with the sour smell of old fishmeal groundbait but my normal mix will go this way after 5 or so days, its not nice and I tend to chuck it when it gets that smell. Anyway, with a glycerine based mix in it, it lasted for well over a month and still smelt 'fishmealy' as opposed to a sweaty crouch.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this, I will give it a go.

Was there any reason for using a powdered colour?

I would have thought standard food colouring would have done the job?

Anyway thanks again.

sagalout

Reaction score
Was there any reason for using a powdered colour?
No, it was just I had never used them before so I thought I would try them. The red is as red as a bucket full of red from the planet red but the yellow I tried is more like orange.

I have put a small amount of this on some coarse pellets and given them a good shake to coat them all and then let them dry, they have taken the colour and flavour well.

Bluenose

Reaction score
"PS It hasn't made any discernable difference to my catch rate, I can still blank in a cold easterly wind."

I'd be interested to hear how you go on when the weather is warmer, are you intending on persevering with it?

sagalout

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear how you go on when the weather is warmer, are you intending on persevering with it?
I will use up the litre I have made but I don't know how you tell if it is working or not, I might then just revert to some flavour and dye in me groundbait and not bother with the glycerine. Can anyone who uses korda goo prove that it works? I can't see how this stuff can be much different. I must find out the ingredients of korda goo.

Bluenose

Reaction score
I know the variables are such that it is almost impossible to say if additives work, but, I'd be interested to hear all the same, especially if it makes you any more confident in use.

There was/were some discussions on goo about 12 months ago when I think the (possible) constituents may have been mentioned, do a search mate, I seem to remember it being a bit controversial as to the 'safety' of the materials used?

sagalout

Reaction score
I have used me homemade gooey over the last couple of months and can now report me exactly approximate scientific random result. It don't make a sh1ts worth of difference.

I have had days when I blanked (along with everyone else on the pit), reasonable days and good days.

I have tried it as a pour over glugy type thing, as a soak for me pellets and as an additive to me ground bait. Not one detectable iota of difference.