Contentious perhaps?

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Blatant discrimination based on somebodys place of birth is fundamentally wrong, what's to think about?

Not all fish thieves are EE's and not all EE's are fish thieves.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would have to think why the owner didn't seek decent legal advice before he had the sign made.

Because I reckon he is certainly going to need it now . . . . . .

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't disagree that it's blatant discrimination. However, the suggestions that it's racist fall on deaf ears. Like it or not, eastern Europeans are not a different race, it can't possibly be racism.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
If you wanted to get nicked or your name in the papers then you would put up a sign like that. The owner must be either a bit thick or have another agenda, even if the other agenda is generating a bit of free publicity for his fishery.

balalur

Reaction score
It was just about the time for something to be done about this "Eastern European" problem.

balalur-albums-other-picture3502-poster-no-irish.jpg

LOOKS FAMILIAR?!
There is another thread by His Lordship...

guest61

Reaction score
I don't disagree that it's blatant discrimination. However, the suggestions that it's racist fall on deaf ears. Like it or not, eastern Europeans are not a different race, it can't possibly be racism.

Very true and definitions of 'race' are nebulous at best.

balalur

Reaction score

It has become a matter of "racism". The fact that the term "Eastern european" is used instead of "Polish", "Latvian" , "Romanian" , "Slovak" etc. just goes to prove that!

The bad one

Reaction score
Tend to agree with Peter here
But contrast this with an incident that happened on our High St recently, where an African Barbers Shop put a sign in the window saying, “No white served..” Again, he was reported by a member of the public and the police paid a visit and made him take it down. Two weeks later he put it up again. And the police visited again.

There was and is no suggestion whatsoever he will be prosecuted for this offence.

My point is racism cuts both ways and should be dealt with with equal measure.

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
Tend to agree with Peter here
But contrast this with an incident that happened on our High St recently, where an African Barbers Shop put a sign in the window saying, “No white served..” Again, he was reported by a member of the public and the police paid a visit and made him take it down. Two weeks later he put it up again. And the police visited again.

There was and is no suggestion whatsoever he will be prosecuted for this offence.

My point is racism cuts both ways and should be dealt with with equal measure.

It should do but I don't know of any instance when it has.

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score

I think that old chestnut is a bit of a red herring in all fairness. It is pretty much accepted by wider society that the term racist has evolved to mean people who discriminate against people of other nationalities.

...besides most people cannot spell Xenophobic. :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think that old chestnut is a bit of a red herring in all fairness. It is pretty much accepted by wider society that the term racist has evolved to mean people who discriminate against people of other nationalities.

...besides most people cannot spell Xenophobic. :D

I'd tend to agree with your assessment of the situation but argue against the futher corruption and misuse of the words race, racist and racism. I know what people mean when they use "rascist" in this respect, xenophobia and discrimination, but racist does not actually apply.

Rickrod

Reaction score
I remember a sign once read above the door of the "Travelers Rest" here in my home town...

NO TRAVELLERS!

:eek:mg:

Was that the one on toller lane...? Is it still there the pub,

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Imo, if the water belongs to Eddie Whitehead then he should be able to put whatever signs up that he wants. Good luck to him, at least he had the balls to do it !

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Very true and definitions of 'race' are nebulous at best.

As someone at the front end of multiculturalism/anti racism during my chosen career it makes me pi$$ myself laughing when the plods and the jobsworths start bandying the term "racist" around for issues involving EEs, the Irish, Polish, French etc, etc.

My take on it is that race is defined by overt characteristics like skin colour, hair type, eye shape, etc. An African, Indian, Chinese or Inuit can't hide their race because of these characteristics. An EE or a Frenchman, Italian, Irishman etc can hide their nationality by keeping their mouths closed. They do have a race, of course, White European (Caucasian is now a strict no-no). Can we be racist against members of our own race?

By definition the fishery owner is not a racist, he is certainly a xenophobe and that's probably against the law now too!

nicepix

Reaction score
I'd tend to agree with your assessment of the situation but argue against the futher corruption and misuse of the words race, racist and racism. I know what people mean when they use "rascist" in this respect, xenophobia and discrimination, but racist does not actually apply.

Discrimination doesn't have to be specifically 'racist' meaning one particular country. It can mean any person or people who are perceived to belong to any group or category;- gays, blacks, Muslims, etc.

In the way that discrimination was investigated and prosecuted when I was working this example would be a clear cut case of discrimination and the person responsible could be prosecuted.