Ducks!

wagglerdave

Reaction score
I usually fish the waggler with orange tips and have never had any issues. Yesterday I decided to spend a couple of hours at the local park lake and used yellow tips but for some reason these seemed to attract the local ducks and they kept trying to eat it.
Has anyone else ever come across something like this? It made me wonder what people must be feeding them if they're attracted to bright yellow plastic!

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I've had all sorts of waterbirds taking nibbles at floats over the years but it's far to infrequent to know if colour makes any difference. Maybe it was just one of those days?

There are some yellow mayfly species but I doubt they'll be hatching at the moment. Maybe something yellow a few cm long just above the waters surface mimics a yellow mayfly laying eggs or drying it's wings?

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Just a theory but could a yellow topped float be mistaken for an old reed (which, ironically, of course, depending on the float, it might have started out as)?:)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Trepsassing ducks (Berkshire, 1877) - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OQnZdUYV3no/UWqKN-HWdQI/AAAAAAAAHgA/38waHUKJL0A/s1600/wilton1.jpg - having a gratuitous, unapproved peck, eh?

I understand that the "I started my campaign" carp boys use Laser pens (even cannons for really serious infestations) on the Tufties. Perhaps try a float tip with a small piece of plastic explosive built into it? Nash? Drennan? That Field fellow in East Anglia...? I am applying for a patent as I sign off, so don't even think about it.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Trepsassing ducks (Berkshire, 1877) - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OQnZdUYV3no/UWqKN-HWdQI/AAAAAAAAHgA/38waHUKJL0A/s1600/wilton1.jpg - having a gratuitous, unapproved peck, eh?

I understand that the "I started my campaign" carp boys use Laser pens (even cannons for really serious infestations) on the Tufties. Perhaps try a float tip with a small piece of plastic explosive built into it? Nash? Drennan? That Field fellow in East Anglia...? I am applying for a patent as I sign off, so don't even think about it.

Paul, that bailiff needs his arse kicking if he hasn't finished the job yet.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Ducks get the Boote - can see the headlines now!! :)

---------- Post added at 11:37 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Don't go pulling the feathers off ducks - it'll only get you down!! :eek:mg:

I'll get me coat......exit stage left