Multiple threads of same subject

K

Keith Williams

Guys (Ladies too lol )

It would be helpful if we made use of single specific threads rather than creating multiple threads kicking off everywhere on the same subject

The Swan issue at Bewdley is spawning so many threads, U can't post to one and hope that valuable info is being read by others. .... is this down to lack of observation or just plain subject posting for the sake of it.

I hope graham ( FM ) can bring a touch of discipline to the matter as its happening in many threads all to often so can all the postings on the swan issue be dragged into one forum thread si its nice n tidy ?

Maybe theres a strong case for threads of great importance to be locked in at the top of each forum thread till a matter becomes resolved

Cheers

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
This seems to be happening a lot lately. Birthday messages - Baitbox, Picture cmments - Gallery, then this forum (General) can debate serious angling matters.

F

Fred Bonney

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

I have no comment to make, on the grounds that I may be sent to Coventry!!!

Again!

F

Fred Bonney

Oh alright

The trouble is Keith, anumber of people only post on the site when they have a bee in their bonnet.

They have no interest in reading what has gone on before on any subject, and just post their bit and probably not a lot more!!

What you can do, is go on the pirate thread and post a redirect.

It'll work for a little while...if you're lucky.

You also have to think, particularly as far as some anglers go, that it's not that important to them.

Apathy rules I'm afraid.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Judging by the number of Gallery threads appearing on here perhaps the Techies need to take a look so that they get posted to Gallery which remains too quiet.

C

Cakey

if we stuck to a rule of no doubling up of threads surely there would no FM

Ive been here ten years now (nearly) and a lot of subjects are probably on the 10th time around

and another thing when your ranting you aint got time to see if its a double you just get it up

see you in conventry Fred /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never been to Conentry, so here's my thoughts:

I agree totally with Mark, all pictures should go into the Gallery section where they can be discussed at length.

The General Forum can then be used for serious Angling Related topics.

As to multiple threads on the same or similar topics, Graham has, many times merged contributions particularly when concerning 'serious' topics.

Fred, from Salisbury, what is the best way to Coventry?

F

Fred Bonney

Peter, A34,M40.A46 and A444. 131miles 2hrs 22mins ish!

As for conventry...ask The Monk

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
"Fred, from Salisbury, what is the best way to Coventry?"

Set off on the wrong foot.

Turn Left (Labour) while everyone else is turning right (Conservative).

Go straight on ignoring the views of others.

You'll soon find you're in Coventry, Conventory, Conentry.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Bl00dy hell!

Make one spelling mistake and its as bad as sha$$ing one sheep.

Mind you, I'm a good sport so I'll not abuse the 'admin edit' function by going back and changing it . . . . .

insert U-No-Wot - - - > 'ERE

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Peter you are starting from the wrong place so it is difficult to get to Coventry.

Repetetive threads are an inevitable consequence of a forum, as Cakey has rightly said the same type of thread crops up on a yearly basis as with the annual closed season debate or less in some cases.

How many times do we see "What rod/line/hooklength/hook do I buy on a limited/any cost budget" it isalmost a weekly basis, or "What are we going to do about people fishing without a licence" etc. etc. Even if the techies set up a "best buy" section it would need constant updating and how long would the list have to be to cover all aspects of fishing and every manufacturer?

The easy solution is for regulars not to contribute to the threads but that seems a little petty to me, especially if the question is from a newbie. Nope I reckon if you take part in a forum you have to put up with it though I do tend to agree about threads like the Bewdley swans being duplicated sometimes and that is wrong and the techies should delete duplicated threads with an explanation as to why it has been deleted.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Keith Williams wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Maybe theres a strong case for threads of great importance to be locked in at the top of each forum thread till a matter becomes resolved</blockquote>

One of the problems is that we don't use all the available functions of the forum. In fact, many don't know what functions are available.

Keith's comment above that started this thread is a case in point.

He, like many, begin their forum browsing on the 'Latest Posts' page and thereby miss the opportunity to see what threads are locked, or have been made 'sticky'. So like Keith you don't know that the function he says there is a strong case for already exists and is being used.

Take a look at the first page of the 'General' section for instance and you'll see that four threadsare currently'locked in at the top'. Made 'sticky' in forum parlance that is. If you hover over the icon it explains what it's about.

There will be a few of you now saying you didn't know that, buteach new functionwas announced when it was implemented and I've mentioned itmore than oncesince.

Repetitive threads are bound to happen, and when there is a reasonable amount of time lapsed between the last thread on the same topic and the current one then there's nothing wrong with that. Fresh opinions and changed opinions can then be posted.

If a thread has been started under an inappropriate heading, ie, gallery pic comments in general, or photographic comments in bait box, then just tell me - it's easy enough to change that. What I can't do is move posts from one thread to another.

If you want to make sure you're not repeating a recent thread all you have to do is run a search before you post.

K

Keith Williams

Graham, Many thanks for the re direction its much appreciated. Will search a bit more as you suggested in future.

I’m puzzled though as to why posts can’t be moved?.. I’d ask with respect -is this a technical issue of not being able to copy /paste over thread content or one of not wanting to offend the original posters after the fact as I thought it would it be possible to move all the posts on the swan problem at Bewdley into the one thread to effectively tidy all views into one arena which would make a great deal of opinion and points viewable in a " One stop shop "so to speak.

A further thought worth considering that I think maybe be worthwhile is having specific forum sections on fisheries conservation, EA Byelaws as read only topics where Links can be placed directly to the info sources so that national bylaws and the regional ones can be obtained quickly and efficiently by all which is something no forum has done as far as I'm aware so far, and I'm sure it would be of a great value to all the FM members nationally.

Also invaluable would be Press release section being created specifically so sources such as the Governing bodies, consultative committees , ie FACT, NAFAC etc can make anglers aware of what is happening out there on behalf of us all as I believe there is the need for greater information needed out there as monthly magazines are way out of date with hot press issues by the time they hit the shelves and weeklies good as they are in certain aspects don’t hit all the buttons nor have an investigative edge which is sadly lacking in angling journalism.The World Wide Web is going to be the media force in the future as you know already and as you rightly commented in another thread on the subject of Angling Unity, the voices of website connected anglers is a force to be reckoned with, it’s how to ensure those voices and opinions are heard and the impact of their voice that matters and to that end, the dispersal of PR information will if given the right platform . can generate a healthier state of mind and hopefully a thirst for more information about angling politics which should give those in the hot seats of angling governance a lot more to work on in answering a greater demand for full and proper explanations as to what is truly happening behind the scenes

As you know, many anglers are so badly informed, misinformed or not even informed whatsoeveron these issues which leads onto the worst subject of all which is " APATHY" ItsTHE dirty word and the one word that describes the attitude held by so many anglers who are guilty of this condition with regard to their sport and if the FM forum can add or have a further major claim to fame, then maybe this could be the cause to fight for throughout 2008 and onwards.

Certain goals can be achieved with drive and determination and if Apathy in angling was denied at a national scale, just think of what could happen in angling as a whole where we as anglers could be far more well informed and a force to be reckoned with on a par to other outdoor activities such as the Bird watching Mob who have Millions in the bank and huge assets in their control because of a single minded belief that what is attainable is and if it isn’t “ dig deeper “Let’s hope that FACT and others can make such goals happen and soon !

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney(ACA/BS/BTO) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Peter, A34,M40.A46 and A444. 131miles 2hrs 22mins ish!

As for conventry...ask The Monk</blockquote>
yes Conventry is a lovely place full of rampant nunns in black sussies/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif