The Price is Right . . .

dangermouse

Reaction score
. . . or is it?

I was browsing around the Chapman`s Angling site the other day and spotted these.

elec-port-scales.jpg

The RRP on these is £11.99 and they have them on sale at £9.99.

I have a set of these scales. The only difference between the ones I have is that the buttons are black and they don`t have Stillwater angling across the top. I picked mine up from E-bay and I paid about £3.50 including postage from China.

It makes you wonder just how much labelled gear is being marked up.

flightliner

Reaction score
DM, tend to think you,re right about mark ups, I bought a pair of Sonik sk3 rods last year from Chapmans and they threw in a pair of digital scales in with the sale.
Cant fault em either.

dangermouse

Reaction score
DM, tend to think you,re right about mark ups, I bought a pair of Sonik sk3 rods last year from Chapmans and they threw in a pair of digital scales in with the sale.
Cant fault em either.

The same scales?

Oh and check your PMs on TAA.

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
True branding makes the difference in price, however I don't think Stillwater really can be classed a tackle tarts object of desire

You can get a lantern from alpkit called the bulb II for £15 or the same spec version by fox for £30.

Or the Maplins lantern for £15 or an Outwell (famous camping brand) for £30

Most gear comes out of the same factories in China, same spec just different colours, different brands.

As for Chapmans they are in retail with bricks and mortar, rents rates, wages etc can't blame them Stillwater probably buy them in around $1.50-$2.00 per unit or £1-£1.30 with bulk buying inc delivery clearance and duty paid to the UK £1.20 is realistic if you buy direct from a manufacturer rather than a trading company in HK.

Last edited:

dangermouse

Reaction score
Scales need to weigh accurately and be compact. Otherwise what more do you need regardless of the price?

A label from (insert name here) . . . if you`re a tackle tart. :D

Oh and maybe a bit of real tree camo if you`re a carper. :wh