Which venue advice, probably more for the sheffield area members

tilly05

Reaction score
Which venue advice, updated with choice.. all signed up

Treeton dyke vs herries road pond( wardsend dam )
I'm thinking of joining one of the venues but, which one?
Couple of pro's and cons..
Herries is bang on my door step, but not as big (imagine it could be busy during summer and may struggle for a peg) whereas treeton is a bit of a drive but is huge and shouldnt ever miss a day.
Their both same price,
I'd like somewhere i can re-learn my fiahing and master the finer arts. But which venue will help my improvements come along...
Tough choice, herries road is in front for pure ease of getting to but the small size is off putting.
Any one members of either venue, what are they like? Best thing/worst thing about them??
Even non members on the rough base set out whatvwould you sway towards

I'l not blame anyone if i pick one and turns outvto be a dud!!

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
I,ve been using both over many years between the two,herries when a teenager and treeton a few years back..
My choice would be treeton as its quiter, still an unknown quantity with some good fish to catch.last of all your "hubcaps" might be safer.
A best bet compromise would be Ecclesfield pond behind the (now sadly)shut down working mens club.
The roach fishing as always been superb and it draws in guys that are the best around so if its a learning curve youre on thats my advice.
Enjoy your choice my friend.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
As Flight suggested,plumb for Ecclesfield pond, some quality fish to be caught there, once you get to grips with the place. It will surely help you to regain your skills. Some top lads honed their skills on there. And some pleasant surprises for those who master the place.

tilly05

Reaction score
I'v used ecclessfield quite a lot, had some nice fish from there. Treeton does sound good with some big fish, and also heard there are nice fish in herries,
I did think of joining both, then if i cnt fish one iv got the other to fall back on. Only 2 weekends left to join herries rd.. Their both 20 a year, its a fiver a pop at ecclesfield (2 rods) so only need to go 4 times and its paid for itself, only 2 more weeks to get membership at herries road.

Hmmm still unsure but think il sign up at herries road this weekend, give it a bash and if its not great try treeton. I'm planning on getting down the don more this year so at leadt hrries road is on the way so if thats not fishing a quick stroll and im on the river

tilly05

Reaction score
Update, signed up at wardsend dam (herries rd pond)
Some details if anyones interested or searching google as I'v done.
£34 first year, drops for renewals. price includes a key for gate.
You need a valid rod license and a passport photo to sign up. Sign up during April only (venue is closed for fishing during this time)
Few rules,
One rod and line.
Barbless hooks.
Must have Rod license.
Groundbait is banned.
No liquidised bread of any kind.
No radios.
Keepnets for matches only.
Must have an assembled landing net while fishing.
Disgorgers to be used for unhooking.
All lines removed if leaving peg.
No fish removed or killed.
No spinning.
No dogs.
Carpers must use appropriate equipment, including unhooking mat.
Dawn til dusk only.

Venue opens 1st of May, I'm itching to wet me line.. but gives me time to get stocked up on bait :)

nicepix

Reaction score
Have you thought about Tin Mill Dam at Stocksbridge? The ticket also give you access to some good grayling fishing on the Don and is never over fished. There is also a pond at High Green that seemed popular when I briefly lived in that area, though I haven't fished it.

tilly05

Reaction score
Is tin mill on a day ticket?? Might have to have a couple of weekends up there.
The guy at kerfoots has told me about the place at high green, c'nt remember its name now. I have fished the one just off the a61 think its howbrook resevoir, that was tough in the cold conditions!
Herries road is perfect for those days when a last minute decision finds you searching a venue so less time travelling and more time fishing!
From what I'v read on different sites there's some decent fish in there. They were showing alover the pond today while i was there.

dangermouse

Reaction score
I have fished the one just off the a61 think its howbrook resevoir, that was tough in the cold conditions!

I think I had a day there last year. It was tough even in sunny conditions. Although it`s fair to say I`m not used to fishing waters that size. If it is the one I`m thinking of theres a nice little place just up the road called the Nancy pond.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I think I had a day there last year. It was tough even in sunny conditions. Although it`s fair to say I`m not used to fishing waters that size. If it is the one I`m thinking of theres a nice little place just up the road called the Nancy pond.

Nancy Pond, I used to fish there quite a bit back in the early sixties. Had some good bags of Crucian's, and the occasional Bream.

Didn't know if the place still existed, let alone contained any of the Crucian stock.

Happy days those, thank's for the memory jogger Neil.

Oh, by the way there were two other waters close by the Nancy, ''Westwood'' and ''Newbiggin'' that used to produce a few quality Roach. Well they used to back then, don't know who controlls the fishing there nowadays.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Nancy Pond, I used to fish there quite a bit back in the early sixties. Had some good bags of Crucian's, and the occasional Bream.

Didn't know if the place still existed, let alone contained any of the Crucian stock.

Happy days those, thank's for the memory jogger Neil.

Oh, by the way there were two other waters close by the Nancy, ''Westwood'' and ''Newbiggin'' that used to produce a few quality Roach. Well they used to back then, don't know who controlls the fishing there nowadays.

You`re welcome Derek. :)

Yeah some of the locals talked about the crucians. I don`t think they`re as common as they were but iirc they said there were still some in there. I only fished it a couple of times and in truth I struggled on both occasions. It didn`t matter though, I just liked the place.

Wasn`t aware of Westwood but I`ve fished Newbiggin a couple of times. Enjoyed it there but I prefered the Nancy pond.

Both of them are controlled by Chapeltown DAA with day tickets available at £3 iirc.

tilly05

Reaction score
westwood, that's the one at high green. I think?
Keeping mental notes of all these venues and what they hold, I'm looking to catch a variety of fish throughout the season. hopoefully get the full list ticked off. tilly's great rod race but without a time limit!!

flightliner

Reaction score
Share this post on Twitter
Share on Facebook
Wasnt it Westwood Derek that had the circular overflow out in the dam thats very similar to the one at Ladybower reservoir???
I used to work with a civil engineer who had much to do with the "Bower" and wondered if there was some sort of connection?
By the way--- I used to fish Ecclesfield with a lad who for some reason or other always refferred to Tench as "Stench"-- obstinate little b----r,!:D:D:D