bigger fish !!

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
since the 'am i wasting bait ?' thread, I have been putting the bags out to the same spot every time instead of dotting them about if I thought there was just too many bream or roach around my bait.

The result beingmore and bigger carp. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif In the last week or so i have caught 1 fish at 16 lb and 2 at 17lb but 3 times i have had fish that must have been 20+ snap my hooklength quite easily.

I have been using a 10lb mainline and a 6lb hooklength. Do I beef it up a bit or be more careful ? what would be the best set-up if you are expecting to catch 20+ carp ?

I am not responsible for any insane craziness which may follow such a simple question

C

Cakey

before we answer a few Qs for you

what hooklength are you using?

how do you know 20+ snapped you up?

do you change hooklengths after having fish?

are you happy there are 3 fish swimming round with hooks in?

Im not reponsible for any..............blah blah/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
6lb mono, i check the hookpoint and change it if that isnt sharp, up till now the avereage weight of a carpi have been catching isabout 12 lb and I just wasnt expecting the pulls when striking, clutch setting maybe to tight, hooklength not strong enough ? I dont know. Maybe my set up is fine and i should take more care coz a 6lb hooklenght is sufficient for 17lb + fish. I would like to know obviously coz i want to keep the fish on and secondly coz no i am not happy with any fish swimming around with hooklengths in them. have a look at my response to the advice on deadbaiting for pike. Never had a fish smash you up then m8 ? Maybe i forgot to spit on the knot !

R

Roto Fryer

the 10lb mainline is ok, however, I don't generally fish that light as often you need to put a bit more pressure on some fish to keep them away from snags etc. 10lb line will also have less abrasion resistance.

so if you are fishing a snag and rock free water stay with 10lb mainline; your hooklink should always be the weakest point. if you have snags step it up to 12 or 15lb mainline and a 10lb hooklink. there are plenty of ideas in the rigs section.

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Thanks Roto, the suggestion it would make me happy to have fish swimming around with hooks really ticked me off, 2 weeks ago a female swan which has been on the lake i fish was killed by a hook. the culprits being irresponsible kids, no matter they shouldn't have been there because the lake was closed for fishing, they are idiots all year round !!

I always have safety of the wildlife my no1 priority and now all the dog walkers and old ladies who go through park seem to have tarred me with the same brush. I was very saddened by this as the 2 swans are always there when i go and now only the male who may not suvive because he has nine young to look after by himself. Sorry to Cakey but i didn't ask a bloody stupid question, you did !!

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Jim it is a sad affair for the swans but dont worry about them mate. Anglers get blamed for every bird death on every water in the UK, and its very very rarely our fault. Your hooklength should always be a lower breaking strain than your main line and if a bigger fish snaps it off then so be it, at least its only trailing a small hooklength and not yards and yards of mainline. Ive caught carp with old hooklengths in their mouths before and ive just unhooked all the hooks and put them back fit as a fiddle.

Nathan

Reaction score
unless there are snags i'd say your hooklength should be ok. If you're worried or just want some extra security maybe step it up to 8lb or as roto said go with a higher main line & then adjust you're hooklength.

R

RobD

Alright JJ,

It's not always necessary to have your hooklink weaker then your mainline at all, if you have the right setup, one where your lead can break free or your hooklink can slide off of your mainline then if the worst should happen the carpwill justhave the hook and hooklink to lose, that won't much more difficult than having to lose a hook and half of a hooklink.

If swans and alike are a problem and wildlife if you No1 concern then a good suggestion is to use barbless hooks, first they are easier for any creature to lose for themselves and secondly they are easier for you to remove should you have to land a duck or swan.

If you "know" that there's a decent chance of hooking a good carp 20+ and there are any obstacles at all, heavy weed, snags or anything like taht then you're the hooklink you are using is far too weak...you need to have control over these carp and them not have control over you and be bale to take you into whatever obstacle they fancy...again though, if you're not very good at controlling the battle then you should think about using a good barbless hook, 775's or Raptors..

You should always do what you can to not let hooks be left in a carps gob or a ducks gob for that matter and should use tackle that's tough enough for the task...

Be Lucky /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

6lb mono's fine for one fish in open water.... but the second and third?

C

Cakey

Jimbo ...sorry mate not having a go but youve answered your own Q "Do I beef it up a bit or be more careful ?"

i.e. your not happy with 3 fish swimming round with hooks in so yes something needs to be altered

I use 12lb mainline and 14lb supersilk 99% of the time

Morespiders

Reaction score
Should think so you orrible man you!, hope Buddy bite's your B-------ks off/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

youve made me cry now.......................might move to the isle of wight

Morespiders

Reaction score
Ohh im sorry Cakey, Morespiders will kiss it better next time he see's you/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

Jimbo, why dont you fish with 12lb straight through?, seems as through the fish are not shy with the regularity your getting them,and the otherrod with 10lb hooklink

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
yeah, thanks, I will have to use a heavier mainline and hooklink i think as there are a lot of snags on the bottom and one fish could do pretty much as it pleased. didn't mean to get shi**y but i've never so much as left an inch of line lyin around and now i'm bein told things like, dont leave line lyin around, careful with your hooks and so on and so on. Always use barbless and a lead safety clip.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
If you are being smashed up by large carp then you are definitely doing something wrong. If the bottom is snaggy as you said in your last post I would fish with 15-18lb main line and 15 lb + hook lengths minimum. I would also use hooks two sizes larger than normal to help minimise mouth damage as the fish struggle to reach the snags.

Catching large carp is good catching carp at all cost no matter what damage is incured or riskes taken is NOT good.

Tight Lines

R

RobD

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

6lb mono's fine for one fish in open water.... but the second and third? </blockquote>

I think people are trying to pull your fat one JJ...

If there's 20+ carp about 6lb mono is useless, even in open water...if you wanna fish for carp properly use the right stuff mate /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>RobD wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

6lb mono's fine for one fish in open water.... but the second and third? </blockquote>

I think people are trying to pull your fat one JJ...

If there's 20+ carp about 6lb mono is useless, even in open water...if you wanna fish for carp properly use the right stuff mate /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif</blockquote>

richie mcdonald had bazil at 40+ on 8lb mainline with a 6lb hooklink. in the eigthies it was a normal setup - its only as waters got weedier that things really changed. the other thing was the big spooled reels - with the cardinal 55's, etc, it wasn' really possible to fish at range with 15lb mono! but then people played fish back then with balanced tackle, rather than just dragging them in.

still reckon theres not really a prob in open water - in terms of strength, try and break 6lb mono by tying itto a post andbending the rod, rather than pointing straight at it.... the point is 6lb mono is fine in terms of strength, its the abrasion resistance that is lacking.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Using six pound line for big carp is folly and poppycock,if you owned a fishery would you want people fishing for your precious fish with what ammounts to tench tackle.Me thinks not and saying it is fine is misleading to anyone inexperienced reading this.If it is no good on the abrasion front it is no good at all as most waters have the odd hidden snag.