Support your Local Tackle Shop

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
THis echoc what a lot of FM regualrs have been saying ,Martin probably just cut and pasted our posts :D (joking)

But we do all need to spend a few quid at the local tackle shop and not just on a pint of maggots or a packet of hooks

ok so the rod or reel may cost £10 less on line, but if you buy in the shop you can easily take it back if anything goes wrong

Also when buying a rod or reel take a couple of packets of hook to the counter (I've got them for free doing this:wh)

john step

Reaction score
I do agree with supporting your local tackle shop but have one or two observations on that.
Not everyone lives close to a tackle shop and if I need some small items it is more convenient get the Post Office to deliver them than make a 20 mile each way journey at todays fuel prices.
When going into town I visit the tackle shop if I do need something. However even the one I visit which advertises nationaly by putting pull out brochures in national angling press does not have an up to date stock. You know the racks of different size hooks etc. etc. Well half the sizes in any given patten are usualy missing. I certainly cant invest in a special trip only to be disappointed.
As for maggots I buy in bulk when I do visit and freeze them. I have not noticed any catch reduction.
Also I have come to realise that the people I buy from on line are mostly tackle shops that are someone elses LOCAL shop. They are often the big well known names.