De-regulation of Dredging on Rivers.

cg74

Reaction score
I've been hearing rumours about the de-regulation of dredging on rivers but after endless web searches and rooting around on DEFRA's website, I've found nothing.

Does anyone know about these potentially disastrous plans, if yes, can you please post a link to where I can find out info on this.

I do hope this isn't true as it'd be one hell of a **** up on the part of the EA, bowing to pressure of farmers/landowners.

chav professor

Reaction score
I've been hearing rumours about the de-regulation of dredging on rivers but after endless web searches and rooting around on DEFRA's website, I've found nothing.

Does anyone know about these potentially disastrous plans, if yes, can you please post a link to where I can find out info on this.

I do hope this isn't true as it'd be one hell of a **** up on the part of the EA, bowing to pressure of farmers/landowners.

Pressure groups and dredging companies are lobbying for dredging to take place down here bud...
Dredging Today – River Gipping Dredging Plan Moves Forward (UK)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Pressure groups and dredging companies are lobbying for dredging to take place down here bud...
Dredging Today – River Gipping Dredging Plan Moves Forward (UK)

What I dislike, intensely, is that the article states:

" a meeting has been organised between councillors and Dr Charles Beardall of the Environment Agency to discuss when the vital work to the river will begin."

The emphasis is mine, but this clearly tells me that it is not a question of If but WHEN

So, the decision appears to have been already made!

Best thing is to contact the Angling trust and the EA and register complaints.

cg74

Reaction score
What I dislike, intensely, is that the article states:

" a meeting has been organised between councillors and Dr Charles Beardall of the Environment Agency to discuss when the vital work to the river will begin."

The emphasis is mine, but this clearly tells me that it is not a question of If but WHEN

So, the decision appears to have been already made!

Best thing is to contact the Angling trust and the EA and register complaints.

Exactly right Peter; complain, annoy, pester and badger the EA continually but better still, get a group (if there's not already one) together and each of you bombard the hell out of the EA using environmental reasons as the basis of your complaint.

Why on earth anyone buys land with a watercourse running through it, thinks they have grounds to grumble when it floods naturally, is beyond me.
But farmers being farmers, they don't (as a whole) truly care about the environment, it's all about profit.
Worse though, they expect everyone to bend over backwards too help them....!

I was going to support my claims with footage of a (dumbass) local (to me) farmer taken from Countryfile, but it has expired:
BBC One - Countryfile, Lyme Bay

chav professor

Reaction score
Shall do.... I was under the impression that straightening and dredging was an out dated, ineffective out of vogue technique of river management.

is this harking back to the bad old days where rivers are seen as little more than land drainage features.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I'm honestly not a bureaucrat but deregulation is usually a green light for corner cutting and a quick route to grief.

I'd have to question the EA's base committment to our environment if they give this the "green" light.

Another money led Tory decision - sorry, but that's how I feel about it :)

cg74

Reaction score
Maybe it's just rumours?

I really hope so. I first heard a rumour that the EA were looking to relax the regulations governing dredging but I got sent this email from a reliable source:

"I have heard this AM that there are strongly rumoured proposals to de-regulate dredging on our rivers. I am not sure of the details but am aware that this is aimed at appeasing the farming lobby after last years terrible weather.

If you can find the time, please drop an email to your MP expressing your concerns regarding these rumoured changes. It may be too late but at least we can try. Alternatively drop a line to the Minister, Owen Paterson at defra.

Feel free to send this onto colleagues.

Regards

"

bennygesserit

Reaction score
In terms of campaigning what about an article from FM and maybe a quote from Martin Salter ? Would have great impact I feel

cg74

Reaction score
In terms of campaigning what about an article from FM and maybe a quote from Martin Salter ? Would have great impact I feel

If the rumour is confirmed as a truth (and I really hope it's not) it raises some serious questions about the EA:
Have they notified the Angling Trust, if not - why not?
Why are they allowing the return of antiquated practices that aren't even effective in their primary aim?
Does the agency value landowners opinions above the environment?
And ultimately, are the Environment Agency actually fit for purpose?

mick b

Reaction score
So the Local Authorities gave planning consent for developers to build on our river flood plains.
Why shouldn't they?
It's nice and flat so doesn't require extensive ground works, usually grazing land therefore has a lower purchase price (for the developer) and often has access roads close at hand.
Then along comes global warming with its high precipitation (predicted in the late 80's by UN research) and everything gets flooded big time!

The Local Authorities (not the developer who is now building on another flood plain somewhere else) need a quick fix?
The low cost option/answer is to get rid of the water faster....ie...dig the rivers deeper and straighter and dump it into the sea.

So who is going to protect the rivers (our rivers)....the EA, who are there to do just that........

However,
The EA is a Government Agency.
They work to the instructions of the elected politicians.
If EA staff stand-up to the political instructions they know what the result will be.

The only independent organisations with highly qualified scientists who WILL stand up for wildlife (which includes all rivers) are our Local Wildlife Trusts.

Just maybe the Angling Trust will get its act together if action is required, we can only hope.

Last edited:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Oh and the last time I heard all EA staff were required to sign the Official Secrets Act so you can forget about whistle blowers!.

I've never heard of any EA staff having to do that, and i have known a few over the years.

Otherwise, i would agree with what you say. And yes the Local Wildlife Trusts are important - just not very powerful at all. If, on the other hand, the EA can be persuaded to the right thing then they can wield power. Problem is that the further up the organisation you go the more apathetic and politically influenced the post holders become. Go far enougth and all they want is their gong or follow-on role as Company Director in the private sector. Saving rivers would be well down on their list.