Cork Handles

barbelboi

Reaction score
I remember using plastic wrap on food since the late 1960's/early 70’s but does anyone remember when it was first used for protecting cork handles on new fishing rods?
Jerry

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Dont ever recall seeing a rod with handle wrapped in the said plastic prior to 19 70, so I suspect Skippy is on the money. Speaking personaly I hate the practice, nothing feels better on a rod than cork in the hand. Duplon, you can keep it

sam vimes

Reaction score
How long after its introduction did it take for the first numpty to decide that leaving the plastic was a really great idea?;):D

frothy

Reaction score
I really don't like the cork/duplon combinations:puke:...I can put up with it on the normarks though:)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thanks folks, my guess was early 70's which seems to be popular, probably about the time when plastic bottles started to appear.
Jerry

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Thanks folks, my guess was early 70's which seems to be popular, probably about the time when plastic bottles started to appear.
Jerry

I don't think the technology was available until the late 60s at the earliest. My mate was bought a Bruce and Walker Mk IV for Christmas in 1973 and I seem to remember that it came with its handle shrinkwrapped.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Why keep the pastic on, it's there to stop the cork from getting dirty in the shop that's all

Maybe so...but nobody actually said that when it first appeared ! I was quite young and I assumed it was to keep the handle clean when fishing.

So I kept the plastic on my CTM all its life and it never caused me a problem and [of course] the handle remained mint. Then one day I splashed out on a Shaky Team Feeder and a gallon of maggot and charged off to the Kennet for a bit of barbelling. First fish and the reel slipped on the plastic and turned right round until it was on top of the rod. :eek:mg: What a two and eight I was in ! The plastic came off forthwith.

This was back in the days of sliding reel fittings on virtually everything except carp rods. That said the plastic on B&W rods was pretty robust stuff that actually took quite a bit of work with a stanley knife to get off....not like nowadays.

I still have that CTM handle....though I cannot for the life of me think why I kept just the handle.

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Cork for me too. It just looks and feels 'right'.

I remember whan the fashion for abbreviated and duplon handles came in. But as is often the case when a natural product is replaced by a man made material, a 'low cost' image is created.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Leaving the shrink wrap on reminds me of those sad old folk who buy see through plastic covers for their lounge furniture.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok, I get it now. Please God take me before I need them.