SanDisk Extreme III, 133, 20mb

The Monk

Reaction score
£19.99 in 2 GB, they looks pretty impressive, you get the disk, a little plastic case, a little zip case which will attach to a key ring and a small CD rescue disk which apparently fits in the middle of yoyr CD ROM driver. These things certainly have come down in price, the last one I bought was an 80 speed 5.12 GB for £60 state of the art at the time, I`ve not used Sandisc before though, only LEXAR, are Sandisk OK then? Also treated myself to a Manfrotto professional heavy duty monopod the 680B, £35. Much more stability than the 670B, I have the 670B for sale if anyone wants it a £10.

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
I love SanDisk, I actually think they're the best. For future refrence, check out www.mymemory.co.uk, official SanDisk importer (a great many fake cards about, as I've found to my cost), and the cheapest prices I've yet found (2GB Extreme III £16.99 inc. delivery).

If you haven't got a decent reader I'd recommend the SanDisk USB2 Button CF Reader, only takes CF cards so no wobbling to get it in (ooh err missus), use it for desktop or laptop (mine travels in my camera bag), cheap as chips, and pleasingly fast (although FireWire models would be even quicker).

The Monk

Reaction score
cheer Geoff, I`ll try it out tommorrow, I use a Jessops USB 2 card reader, had it for quite a few years now, it seems to do the job/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I use Sandisk Extreme IV 4 GB.

Fully recommended by Nikon mate!

Be careful - avoid the counterfeit cards. Be very very wary of very low prices.

It's far worse than buying a counterfeit Rolex and there are plenty of those knocking about.

C

Cakey

the Sandisk Extreme IV came 5th in recent test with a D300

top of the pile was theRidata 266x Supreme CF

H.P. Sauce

Reaction score
are Sandisk OK then?

Yes, they're excellent, and I use nothing else - trust me, I'm a professional... Lexar had a number of issues a few years ago which turned me off that brand, but I've never had a problem with any of my Sandisk Ultra 2 CF cards. And frankly, unless you shoot lots of fast action on a camera with very large file sizes you don't need the extra write-speed of the Extreme series: my Canon produces nominally 16.6Mp files and the Ultra 2 cards have never been outpaced by my shutter-release finger. Bit cheaper than the Extremes, too. I only use 1Gb and 2Gb cards since I don't like having large numbers of files on just one card, and these give me 50+ and 100+ files respectively. You probably need to worry about possible fake cards only if you buy them on Ebay, since there were lots of fakes knocking around there a while back; legit UK dealers such as MyMemory, Valuemedia etc are safe enough.

Regards, Malcolm

The Monk

Reaction score
thanks for that Malcolm, I bought mine from a local shop, its genuine OK, but thanks for the advice. Yes I tend to prefer nothing bigger than 2 gig

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>The Monk, wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Also treated myself to a Manfrotto professional heavy duty monopod the 680B, £35. Much more stability than the 670B, I have the 670B for sale if anyone wants it a £10.</blockquote>
No thanks, I heard they are not very stable. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

yeah they fall over when you let go................../forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

M

MarkTheSpark

You're a cheapskate, Monk! If you want a serious tripod (or anything else optical) for sensible money, try these folks TELESCOPE SERVICE I've bought tripod, binoculars and a telescope from them, and the VFM is absolutely astonishing. Delivery within 48 hours usually. I can honestly give them my complete backing - really helpful people with really well-sourced products.

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>The Monk, wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Also treated myself to a Manfrotto professional heavy duty monopod the 680B, £35. Much more stability than the 670B, I have the 670B for sale if anyone wants it a £10.</blockquote>

Why would anyone want to buy a monopod that you claim isn't as good as the one you've just bought. Surely they would want the new one and not your cast-offs.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

HP, think of this when it comes to speed. You may be shooting in RAW and JPEG saving both at the same time. You may also want to bracket your shots and I believe on the D300 (Monk's) you can shoot 5 - 2 either side. So that would be ten pictures from one press of the button and all chunky files too.

Maybe the Ultra II can take it, but the Extreme III certainly can. 2GBs are fine though and bear in mind what Alan Sircom said about counterfeits, it's just not worth the cheats sellign them anymore when the genuine ones are so cheap anyway. Mymemory are first class.

P

pons

Hi Monk,

Where do you get one of the 680s for £35 .

I have the 685b,with the quick release and its not very stable because of the wobbly quick release.

I use the sandisks ultras and extreme and they are superb,and do a lot of motorsports shooting raw.

Cheers.

Pons

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
Swap to a custom fitted plate or L-plate from Really Right Stuff, and a nice monopod ball head from them too. Their tripod heads aren't bad either (gross understatement warning), but Kirk make a solid head that is a little cheaper.

Unless supporting heavy long lenses with their own tripod foot (when 100% vertical works best), I find monopods work best at an angle braced against something, even if it's only your foot and head (camera eyepiece). I've got a wobble in the wind 4-section 'frotto 676B (it fits my daypack nicely, so always available), but with good technique (so about once in the blue moon for me!) I can get decent results (although I often cheat with VR).

P

pons

Hi Geoff,

Its a big heavy monopod ,685b,and was my mates till he swapped to a carbon Gitzo (fantastic kit),but my old cheap jessops one was better than this pile of crock in it's present state.

Because of its construction,and the trigger assembly,do you think that will take apart to reveal just a thread to screw a base plate onto ? I am not convinced that will work in this instance as how will it extend up and down without the trigger.

I use a 1D MK2 ,and a 35-350,which is a fairly heavy set up,and agree with using slightly to one side and bracing against something.

Unfortuanately I dont have any VR or IS glass,so it does become critical,but that is not really an issue when using a monopod as it's effect is negligible ,even negative when supported.

I did speak to the boss man at Manfrotto recently and he thought the same that it would not work.

Another monopod is the answer !

Cheers,

Pons

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>pons wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Hi Monk,

Where do you get one of the 680s for £35 .

I have the 685b,with the quick release and its not very stable because of the wobbly quick release.

I use the sandisks ultras and extreme and they are superb,and do a lot of motorsports shooting raw.

Cheers.

Pons</blockquote>

Hi pons

I got it from pennine in Rochdale, I`ve been doing a bit of buisiness with him recently so I get a few discounts, its the 680b in blackI got, normally £39, the 670 I have was £27, its OK but a bit on the light side for me, I keep this in the car boot for emergencies

The Monk

Reaction score
haha, yeah I am, I`ve been ripped off/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif