What's your favourite carp?

dean?o

Reaction score
i am curious, whats peoples favourite carp to catch, common, mirror, leather, linear etc. does carp sizes matter or do people still appreciate smaller carp these days. for me, just being beside the water is what i look forward to most, and if i catch it`s a bonus. do others still feel this way these days or am i the only 1 who thinks this way, am i normal/forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

and why are commons called commons when that are not the most common, i`m sure some1 on here can give a credible answer.

C

Cakey

I still get turned on by the thought of catching the biggie......

"i`m sure some1 on here can give a credible answer. "....your having a bubble

sh13

Reaction score
Isn't it because they were the original type of carp, and so were the 'common' ones? The other carp are variations of that carp made by people.

R

RobD

Mirrors, commons, leathers, linears,it doesn't matter as long as they're as English as possible and as pretty as possible and the waters they live in are not rammed andcan be enjoyed....I've heard it said that "all carp are beautiful it's just that some are less beautiful than others", myself I hate the fat, round plain looking ones!!

Beauty over size is good but both together a bit more often would be nice /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Philip

Reaction score
I think proper fully scaled mirrors are fantastic looking fish especially those with the big plate scales but I think a true leather has to be right up there. I know some people would argue a carp with a scattering of scales on the tail root can be considered a leather but I dont agree...a leather for me is 100% scaleless ...that way thereare no if's and but's and fish like that are pretty rare...well for me anyway...

catch

Reaction score
fully scaled and big commons , big ghosts hmmmmmm .

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>dean curson wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

i am curious, whats peoples favourite carp to catch, common, mirror, leather, linear etc. does carp sizes matter or do people still appreciate smaller carp these days. for me, just being beside the water is what i look forward to most, and if i catch it`s a bonus. do others still feel this way these days or am i the only 1 who thinks this way, am i normal/forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

and why are commons called commons when that are not the most common, i`m sure some1 on here can give a credible answer. </blockquote>
its the Wildie for me every time, but I doubt any still exist in the UK. The word Common in taxononic flora and fauna designations means something different than the word you might thing it means, it actually means Vulgaris (vulgar), the basic specie, all others are varieties, the words common and vulgar often become diluted in the British language, vulagris comes from the latin origin of course

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
in a little lake in a little town called Fintry north of the border you will find some wildies..../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif But you will need to join the Scottish carp Group

My fav has got to be koi, but then they are just commons with fancy clothes on, and I guess they are my fav as thats all we have got so gotta luv em/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
The Scottish Carp Group have been going quite a while now and have done really well in Sctoland, dont they control lanark loch? I can rememeber talking to the then secretary many years ago, a Mr Hutchinson from memory

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Wildies definately, forty years ago I was guest of a guy who had permission to fish a small lake in the grounds of a convent [O.K. I know]. All the carp were wildies, and we had a few. I can remember the way they scrapped- nothing caught went over eight pounds.

I've had much bigger carp since, but I give wildies top marks.

I wonder if any of them still exist. I can dream;

Andy Pryce

Reaction score
Common and Crucian for me, but I like all Carp. The original carp were called 'common', they used to be the most common carp. The mirrors were bred because they were easier to scale when preparing for eating.

NEIL MANSELL

Reaction score
i like all carp although common have got to be the best looking. also i know a pool where there are a few wild carp, its byhimeley hall's great lake. its called island pool and its just on the edge of himeley, classed as baggeridge. great place apart from all the f****ers that let their dogs of the leash. /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

great quiet place apart from that tho!

The Monk

Reaction score
The original carp were called 'common', they used to be the most common carp. The mirrors were bred because they were easier to scale when preparing for eating.

Mirror carp are genetic throw backs of mans interferance of nature in his quest to make life easier for himself, it was the scaless leather carp which they bred for the table. The first carp to be introduced into this country were vulgaris, commons,so named because they were the base/true phenotype, not because there was lots of them, these were later known as wildies by our definition to distinguish them from the later introduced kings varieties.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Long lean common carp in rivers are the best.