Float and Feeder fishing reels, Whats the difference?

paul80

Reaction score
Hi

As Subject, What's the difference between Float and Feeder fishing reels

I know that according to Drennan the difference is the Spool size with Both their 3000 size reels listed as Float and both their 4000 size reels listed as Feeder.

Are there any general rules that say one type of reel is more suited to one stile of fishing than another.

And what about spinning reels.

I suppose the obvious one is that if it has a shallow spool it might be more suited to float fishing and one with a faster retrieve and deeper spool might be more suited to spinning.

Are there any general rules to be observed when choosing a reel.

The main differences I have noted are

Spool Size
Spool Depth
Front or Rear Drag
Retrieve Rate.

Thanks

Paul

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
As you've concluded already, it's mainly a size thing, feeder reels generally being a touch bigger than float reels. However, any differences vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. The differences can even vary in individual manufacturers ranges.

Shimano do the Aero reel in one size in specific float and feeder guises. The differences are the handles, single for feeder and double for float, and gear ratios, 5.2:1 for float and 5.8:1 for feeder. Personally, I think they've got the handles the wrong way round, I'd prefer a double on the feeder reel.

In much of the rest of the Shimano range, the only differential, other than size, is that some reels have the S suffix which indicates a shallow "match" spool. If it's going to be seen it's generally on the 3000 and 4000 models.

Generally speaking, I'd favour these S models in 3000 or 4000 sizes. I'd use the 3000 for general float fishing and the 4000 for feeder and heavy float fishing (carp and barbel). I'm not overly concerned about single or double handles, it's purely a matter of personal preference, but doubles can be useful when using light quiver tipping methods on stillwaters.

paul80

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Sam

Generally I prefer a 4000 sized reel for all my fishing and personally prefer a double handle on both, although Both my Daiwa Reels have single Handles, they are a 125M and Exceler X, although the Exceler X is sold as a spinning reel but I only use it for float or Feeder fishing.

I also do tend to prefer a front drag to a rear drag, I find them a bit more sensitive, but that might be just me.

Paul

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I thought a spinning reel is another name for an open faced fixed spool reel.

I've been wondering about the same thing as I'm in the process of replacing my reels. I was always told 3K for float work and 4K for feeder work as they have a bigger spool for thicker lines and bigger internals for the extra stress that feeder fishing brings. I've always blindly followed the rule

However a mate uses 2500 daiwa reels for feeder work, has done for years without a problem. The lure boys are using smaller reels for lure fishing and in lure fishing the reels really do get used. So perhaps the 3k for float and 4k for feeder fishing is out dated? Reels have certainly got better.

Unless the thread advises differently I think I'll end up with a 4K for medium and heavy feeder work and 3k for float and light feeder work. The smaller lighter reels will certainly feel better with lighter rods.

---------- Post added at 04:04 ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 ----------

Generally I prefer a 4000 sized reel for all my fishing and personally prefer a double handle on both, although Both my Daiwa Reels have single Handles, they are a 125M and Exceler X, although the Exceler X is sold as a spinning reel but I only use it for float or Feeder fishing.

Oddly I much prefer a 3K sized reel and single handles. Although it's mostly a looks thing with single handle, I do agree that double handles balance a reel better but haven't found a single handle a problem when feeder fishing.

I also do tend to prefer a front drag to a rear drag, I find them a bit more sensitive, but that might be just me.

Nope, bigger washers make for a smoother drag. The only plus, for me, with a rear drag is a push button release on the spool but that isn't enough for me to buy a rear drag reel in preference to a smoother front drag reel.

frothy

Reaction score
Many would say(on this forum:wh)..a feeder real has a fixed spool and gears and a float reel doesn't :w

paul80

Reaction score
I think Preston make a front drag reel with a push button spool change facility

The Daiwa X Match has this as well.

Paul

---------- Post added at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 22:55 ----------

this is an easy one lol Mitchell match for float and mitchell 300 for feeder hehehe

But could you just imagine the noise if everyone used them, the sound of the precision French Gears whining away, it would be enough to drown out the local moterway:wh

Not a big fan of old or new mitchell reels incase you hadn't noticed:eek:mg:;)

Paul

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The short answer has to be: line capacity and retrieve ratio I suppose.

Personally I prefer to use a Stradic 2500 for trotting a float as I have small-ish fingers and need to be able to control the line coming off of the spool, so the 2500's are perfect for me.

Most of my feeder fishing is done using a Stradic 4000 as I find the spool capacity is spot on for my type of fishing, the rear drag is exceptional and it balances my rods better than lighter reels.

Modern rear drags are, I reckon, just as good as front drags, most of the disparity being a relatively "old" problem. Modern engineering has done away with most of the differneces to a point where it is really personal preferrence.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use a Shimano Sahara 3000, with 3 spools, for float and feeder fishing. Lovely rear-drag reel, double-handle, with Fighting Drag, loaded with 8lb, 6lb and 4lb line and it does the job for me.