Worst fishing habits

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
A natural follow on from best:

Keep sorting out my tackle to decide what to leave, and leaving everything I want at home:mad:

I may just go back to taking everything and just buy a pack horse, the kids just won't play the game anymore:p

C

chefster

I never leave anything at home-been caught out a few times like that!!Its always better to have too much stuff than not enough! My worst habit is getting bored catching small fish in a match when i know that i,m putting weight in my net,i still come off of the feeding fish in search of bonus"s and just lately it,s been fatal :mad:

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Thinking I know best.

It's a trait that follows me in all walks of life, it can be a strength at times but also a weakness. If I was just better at working out I know best and when I don't know best :wh

B

binka

Deciding on what method I want to fish before leaving the house... and then sitting there fishing it whilst thinking another method would work better! :rolleyes: :D

beerweasel

Reaction score
Forgetting to rinse out my thermos after a trip, then finding a rancid soup the morning of the next trip. :eek:mg:

David Dalton

Reaction score
Not fitting the lid of my bait container down tight enough so that the maggots can't escape. Then lying about the reason for the appearance of a mysterious swarm of bluebottles a week later...

Terry D

Reaction score
Deciding the weather's against me and not even going out has been my biggest problem of late.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not mine but those of a couple of aglers (and I use the term lightly) who I used to fish with:

1. Forgetting their bait and having to share mine, all day!

2. Always laughing at my well stocked and neat tackle boxes and then having to borrow; scissors, disgorgers, shot pliers etc as they 'forgot' theirs gggrrrr!

3. Apparently never, ever, having a suitable set of pole rigs for the day, baits or conditions and having to "borrow" more from me

4. Never ever returning those items listed at 2 and 3 above!!!!!

. . . and, you Know Who You are . . . . .

mick b

Reaction score
Not tidying my tackle room, so I have to work on the kitchen table.

My Lady got me a magnifying lamp for Christmas to encourage me to work in my room and it hasn't worked, yet.

Will clear it up today, if Ronnie gets his match over quickly :wh

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Poleitis - believing the pole beats the rod in all and any given situation/s.

Not picking up a rod for five seasons and casting like a melon as a result first time out!!

My other worst habit is, whilst on holiday, badgering complete strangers into letting me ten minutes on their rod in the hope of catching an exotic foreign fish. :)

---------- Post added at 02:36 ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 ----------

Peter,

Do you have a Normark Titan I can "borrow"? :)

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not my bad habits, but those of others - LITTERING BARSTEWARDS who leave corn and meat tins on their pegs. Worse still hide them, badly, in the reeds.

Anglers who throw all their unused bait into the swim at the end of the day, thinking they are doing the fish a favour. Being hit on the head by a whole tin of Spam is not conducive to piscine health!

"Mates" who throw bread into your swim inducing the mallards to churn the water around your float to foam!

nicepix

Reaction score
Not mine but those of a couple of aglers (and I use the term lightly) who I used to fish with:

1. Forgetting their bait and having to share mine, all day!

2. Always laughing at my well stocked and neat tackle boxes and then having to borrow; scissors, disgorgers, shot pliers etc as they 'forgot' theirs gggrrrr!

3. Apparently never, ever, having a suitable set of pole rigs for the day, baits or conditions and having to "borrow" more from me

4. Never ever returning those items listed at 2 and 3 above!!!!!

. . . and, you Know Who You are . . . . .

I think it very generous and not entirely unexpected for any chap who has meticulously arranged and possibly catalogued his entire range of tackle and accessories to help out his mates.

If their tackle accessory boxes are anything like mine it would be far quicker and easier to nip up the bank to your OCD mate and ask to borrow some scissors:
"You'll find them in box 'B', Section D4 to 6 arranged in order of ascending size".
Rather than rummage through their own boxes for something that might have been lost, misplaced or is so far under the other stuff that it cannot be found. And if your OCD mate has three of the said items why bother to return them straight away. Or at all?

On the other hand I lent an air rifle to my mate for his grandson to use. The grandson was 8 at the time and has just passed his driving test. I loaned a folding chair to a mate who had left his behind, I was just finishing a session and he just about to start one. Never seen the chair again and that was five years since at least. And, in 1983 I loaned a colleague a leather bound edition of John Waller-Hill's trout fishing book and he promptly bu99ered off to Leicester within 24 hours of his wife landing a plumb management job with Tupperware. When I later joined the police I used to watch out for him at Sheffield Wednesday matches. I'll have him yet!

Keith M

Reaction score
Deciding on a venue and on arrival finding that it is closed for coarse fishing because it is still the clubs 'Trout/fly fishing season' on the water in question until May.
(Happened to me last week LOL)

Leaving an important item of tackle like a landing net or unhooking mat at home and having to drive back to get it.

Last edited:

uintahflyshop

Reaction score
When I can't get out, for whatever reason, and having to get my fishing fix by buying yet more gear.

Dave

tilly05

Reaction score
Thinking stuff wmt work leaving it at home, then ending up at a venue where i know iv left the beat stuff at home!!!
Casting- reachingvtoo far bqckwardsband ending up snagged in trees... im good atvthat :(

john step

Reaction score
A previous entry about forgetting things caused me a smile.
That is my bad habit and getting worse as I progress into "golden years"
You name it, I have forgotton it. In the boot of my car I now have stashed an old but usable reel,a bag of hard pellets, a tin of both sweetcorn and lun meat, a rod rest, an old collapsible trout landing net ....all just in case!!
Quite irritating to forget things but not quite as irritating as having an angler in the nearby swim announce to you he has forgotton his landing net and would you be so kind as to keep getting up to help him with yours! My stashed trout net has been used on more than one occaision to deal with this nuisance.