Surface Fishing for Carp

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I'm surprised this hasn't sparked any chat, perhaps the weather hasn't been good enough for long enough. The article is a bit carp-on-floaters-lite imho but all the basics are there. Any other tips people can add?
I would suggest that the last x amount of line before the hook should be sunk and that flurocarbon is a total no-no as a hook-link. What tips can you add?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I do a lot of surface fishing for carp Geoff, I would comment further but have just run out of ink;)
Jerry
PS I do like the last x amount of line before the hook to float though (vaseline is good) as I believe line beneath the surface will spook the fish.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
I do a lot of surface fishing for carp Geoff, I would comment further but have just run out of ink;)
Jerry
PS I do like the last x amount of line before the hook to float though (vaseline is good) as I believe line beneath the surface will spook the fish.

Jerry, when dry fly-fishing anglers use a sinkant compound to make sure that the leader is presented sub-surface. The generally accepted opinion is that a floating leader will spook the fish.

I'd be interested to preferring to hear how you have come about your preference for a floating leader for carp.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Jerry, when dry fly-fishing anglers use a sinkant compound to make sure that the leader is presented sub-surface. The generally accepted opinion is that a floating leader will spook the fish.

I'd be interested to preferring to hear how you have come about your preference for a floating leader for carp.

Because it works - I'm of the opinion that any line hanging below the surface may spook the fish, and I believe many others have the same opinion. Some use floating braid but I prefer to use mono.
Jerry

nicepix

Reaction score
Because it works - I'm of the opinion that any line hanging below the surface may spook the fish, and I believe many others have the same opinion. Some use floating braid but I prefer to use mono.
Jerry

Thanks. I misunderstood. I thought that you were referring to line sitting just in or under the surface as when you de-grease the last few inches of a trout leader.