Abu 506 Closed Face

dangermouse

Reaction score
Seen one of these for sale recently. Reckon I can pick it up for about a fiver. Are they any good?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I still use mine for light trotting. I would recommend you not to use line heavier than 3lb. And as with a pin, don't put too much line on the spool or it can bed in.

jack sprat

Reaction score
The price is a bargain but certain parts wear on them and getting those parts is far from easy. Rarely my weapon of choice though.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
I agree with Peter, a very good tool for trotting but be aware of the line bedding, and a fiver is definitely a bargain.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have the new Model 506 reel, but I am waiting to give it a proper working out this coming season before I make any more comments, first impressions weren't to bad though!

dangermouse

Reaction score
Cheers guys, thought I`d seen a few discussions about it and the feedback was generally good. Seen one on the market and as I sometimes help the guy pack up his stall I should be able to get a good deal on it.

tincatim

Reaction score
I have an Abu 507 mk2 and its brilliant to trot with, I've had a couple of closed face reels over the years and always enjoyed them for stick or waggler fishing. Like others have said above, you're best to under fill the spool. I have about 70yds of 4lb maxima on mine and it peels off lovely.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Me too - quite impressed so far :)

I cant make my mind up whether my 506 Mk2 looks cheap or not! One day I pick it up and think its not a bad looking reel, then another day I look at it and think it looks ****!

Decisions, Decisions :eek:mg:

It does work though...Well, up to now!

jimlad

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean. At times, I see them in the shop and they look the part, then a close inspection makes you think otherwise. Same with the 706, however it works a treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicepix

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean. At times, I see them in the shop and they look the part, then a close inspection makes you think otherwise. Same with the 706, however it works a treat.

If you pick a new Mk.2 in the shop up it might seem OK. But if you've used an original 506 or similar reel of that series there is no comparison. The new model feels cheap and tinny.

jimlad

Reaction score
I'm a regular user of the original 506...but certainly get your point

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd agree with that completely, chaps. Looks wise, it's not the best but looking forward to putting it through its paces

I have the Abu 704, was the 706 much better? :)

jimlad

Reaction score
I have the 706, and am impressed. Used it about half a dozen times, no bedding in of line, the clutch works nicely as well especially the quarter turn back of the handle should a surprise fish make a lunge. Very nice reel...

Would it last 30 years?? Well, it doesn't have the build quality of the original.

frothy

Reaction score
I purchased a mkll online and returned it as the build quality was shocking:mad: (maybe I had a lemon) I have a few other abu cf models and they all do the business for me. I just put 50mtrs of line on them and keep them nice and clean and put a light coating of silicon spray under the bell housing and never seem to have any problems with them, I do rate the 706 but I find the older models with 1:1 oscillation better.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
I purchased a mkll online and returned it as the build quality was shocking:mad: (maybe I had a lemon) I have a few other abu cf models and they all do the business for me. I just put 50mtrs of line on them and keep them nice and clean and put a light coating of silicon spray under the bell housing and never seem to have any problems with them, I do rate the 706 but I find the older models with 1:1 oscillation better.

I know that if I was in the market for another closed face reel I'd buy a decent s/h original Swedish made 506 rather than the new Mk. II model. You can sometimes pick them up for less than £25 with accessories.

jimlad

Reaction score
A good thing is that you get a load of spools with the 706 (don't know about the 506?). These fit the original 596's and, although made of plastic, they are great. Also you get some spare chenille (I think that's the word?) which helps.