Bite alarms and the weather...

Day Breamer

Reaction score
I recieved a Shakespeare Cypry QT bite alarm for fathers day (it was my first alarm) and so far in 4 trips of dry (but quite windy) weather its been perfect, now i would like to know before i go and buy a 2nd matching alarm if these alarms are pretty good in the rain.

I know its no Fox, the wife thinks Fox eats chicken so i got a Shakey... i dont want to hurt her feelings and i have no problem using it, like i say it works well enough, but its been dry so far, does anyone have any opinions or advice pelase?

Are these type of alarms ok in the wet? i like matching gear, so would like 2 of the same if possible.

Thankyou.

R

Roto Fryer

i would go for the fox micron m if you want a cheap alarm that is good in all weathers. it is also tried and tested.

there is a good reason why the shakespear alarms are not more widely used .............................. thinkabout it; if it was cheap and good they would be everywhere.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
My local has got the Fox Warriors in stock for around £22,would they have the same quality/weatherproofing as the micron?

For general use the Shakespeare has so far been perfect, it registers everything, even stuff i dont see on the hangers right away... i just wouldnt want to commit to another without knowing they wouldnt break in the rain.

Andy Pryce

Reaction score
Well I use Leeda ones that I got for 9 quid each; been using them for 2 years now with no problems, even in the rain.

I dropped one in the lake and it stopped working till I dried it out using silica gell, then it worked again ok.

I would like a set of alarms that switch from roller wheel to vibration mode, but can't afford them on my budget.

catch

Reaction score
micron m if i had to choose /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

John Southgate

Reaction score
i used to use micron m's for a couple of years, all weather, never let me down. heard bad things about the fox warriors.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
If you are really worried about the waterproofing you current alarms here is a simple fix.

Get a couple of white plastic tea cups and cut U shapes in the top (Lip) of the cup 180 degrees apart and place this over the alarm when the rod is on the alarm.

When you get a bite as you lift the rod the cups fall off. You can attach a small amout of line to the cups teatahered to the bank stick to stop them from flying away if you want. There you go simple cheap fix.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Dont worry about it at all, the alarms are waterproof.

Dont think cos they are cheap they will let you down, Fox, Delkims etc, are not all fall proof. There will always be a few alarms that will not do as it says on the tin, same as anything that is mass produced.

The alarms would have been tested so dont worry, just go and enjoy your fishing mate.

Wooly

Reaction score
Paul this is the easiest question to answer.

Set it up in your garden when it's raining and test it.

I live up North and can test mine every day. If you live in a better climate (did you really get 4 dry trips in?) just use a watering can.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, yes it has been dry mostly in Brum this past week or so, just a little drizzle but i didnt go fishing on those days.

I purchased a 2nd Shakespeare alarm, the guy in the shop said if it stops working due to rain he will swap it no questions asked, and i can get a replacement (of same model) or pay the extra and get a Fox, my call...

I liked that sales talk so i opted for the 2nd Shakespeare, 5 trips in, no rain but still working absolutely perfectly, detecting even the slightest pickups, if these alarms continue to work in the wet i'll be very happy, i will review the alarm fully after ive had more testing time, but so far so good.

I may try the watering can trick but its like owning a cat that never ran away, you wouldnt deliberatly open the front door and coax it out just to see if really would desert you or not.

R

Roto Fryer

paul you have just wasted your money; many of us on here have been fishing for 40 or more years and we would not touch a shakespeare alarm. there are only 3 brands you should consider, Fox (i don,t like Fox as a company), Delkim or Neville's. It's not about poseability it's about reliability!

Wooly

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Roto Fryer wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>paul you have just wasted your money; many of us on here have been fishing for 40 or more years and we would not touch a shakespeare alarm. there are only 3 brands you should consider, Fox (i don,t like Fox as a company), Delkim or Neville's. It's not about poseability it's about reliability!</blockquote>

Some recent experience I have relating to this topic.

I bought a VTCremote system for my cheap Fox alarms even though it was not from a name (Fox, Delkim etc) against the advice of the"if it aint got the right name" brigade, who saidit would be crap. It works superbly and only cost £65, about half the price of the fox unit.

My mate bought some Ron Thompson alarms, with remote, for less than a ton, guess what, they work as well, in all weathers.

The same mate last year borrowed a delkim to use when in France with me. It was pants, the guy who lent it to him said it needed servicing. Not sure what you service on an alarm. I've had my cheap little Foxes for about 10 years, never needed to service them.

Sometimes spending more is just that - spending more, with no real benefit. The same applies to rods, reels and a very large amount of gear.

The same mate bought some seriously undergunned cheap Chubb Outkast rods for the French trip last year, only 2 1/2 test curve, even the guy in the shop was surprised at the choice for the trip - result 2 forties and 4 thirties.

W

Wolfman Woody

I bought a couple of Shakey's about 12 years ago now. Fished an all-nighter when there was a deluge. In the morning one had packed in completely and the other sounded like a drowning cockerel.

The dealer exchanged the broken one and the other did dry out.

I bought some Daiwas then that have since been replaced by Fox MXs.

I hear the Prologic ones are good and fairly cheap, but seems like you've stuck with Shakeys. Hope they give you good service.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I bought a pair of Delkims some time ago on the recommendation of a few friends who are highly efficient anglers.

They have never given me any trouble and they certainly are waterproof after taking a few dips in the tidal Trent.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Woody,

A friend of mine has taken up fishing again thisyear after a number of years away from the sport.

He got a set of3 prologic with remote, he asked me to set them up for him which i did.

he has fished most weekends this year, in all the rain and the alarms have stood upto eveything no problems £129 the lot.

I have delkims never had a problem, but would,nt knock the cheaper alarms, tackle nowdays is cheaper and some of the cheap gear is proving a match for the more expensive gear.

E

EC

I have a pair of delks which I bought solely for their sensitivity control which is ace, BUT prior to that I had a pair of 'Good fishing bite alarms' they worked in all weathers for £16 rips each, and they were, in 2 words: an absolutebloody bargain.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've used my Fox STR's for quite a few years with never a problem, even in some torrential downpours.

Unlike Roto, I have never had any problems with any of the Fox kit that I've bought, including my 2 man Continental Easy Dome, Marker and spod Rods.

C

Cakey

right heres one for you ,it fits all alarms and all swingers etc

take a 2litre water bottle round or square cut in half and thencut 2x slots as shown
cut_bottle.jpg

then fit over rod and alarm as shown
fit1.jpg

fit2.jpg

this one I done really quick just to show you and the slots needed to be 1/2" longer

when you strike they just fall off

no more wet alarms

I carry 3 with me all the time but only use them in downpours

and thats why my Fox SX's are getting on for 20 years old

hope this helps

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
You have been watching to much Blue Peter Cakey.

Where,s the cellotape and PVA glue?

Good idea, but the problem being, you lose all the water out of the bottles when you cut them/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif